9MM Plinking Load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by zeke66, Feb 28, 2010.

1. zeke66

zeke66

Finally got some primers and W231 powder. Gonna load a couple of 50-round test batches to try out in the G17 & G19. I'll be using Berry's plated 115grn bullets and CCI 500 small pistol primers. Loading to 1.155 COL. First batch, I'll be using 4.4 grns W231. For the second, gonna use 4.7 grns.

These two proposed test loads come as a result of my own "hybridization" of various data from a couple of manuals as well as what I've gleaned from online. What do y'all think?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I think you ought to load only 10 rounds at at time in 0.1 g increments up to your max data. See how your guns cycle and then decide what you want to stick with. Chrono dat would be a plus, but alot of people use 231 there's plenty of info out there. Staying in the midrange you'll do fine. Personally I load at 1.130-1.135 and adjust charges from that point as I know most guns with digest 9mm bullets at that length with out problems, especially Glocks.

3. zeke66

zeke66

Thanks for the reply Boxerglocker. The reason I'm loading to 1.155 is because just about every factory 115grn FMJ plinking load I've bought (WWB, Federal) is that same COL and the Berry's bullets LOOK to be about the same profile as the factory FMJ's. Not very scientific, I know. I've used this same COL with a different powder (5.1grns Unique) and had good results, although cycling was borderline too soft. Unfortunately, I don't have a chronograph.

4. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

I'd skip the smaller charges, going straight to 4.8 gr @ 1.13" COL; I've run several thousnds thru BHPs, Glocks, M9s, etc....

5. fredj338

fredj338

I agree, nothing like having 49 rounds to shoot single shot. Load them in 10rd groups, go up 0.1gr w/ each group & look for the sweet spot accuracy/functioning wise & watch for signs of pressure as you go higher. I agree w/ MsgtD, skip the 4.4gr, it's not likely to give you best results. Using Win 115grFMJ o/ 4.8gr @ 1.125" gives about 1080fps in my G26. At 5.2gr, I was getting 1142fps (1185fps in my G17).

6. zeke66

zeke66

fred, I'm assuming the data you listed was for W231 powder? Also, I notice you were using FMJ's. From what I've been reading, the Berry's plated should be loaded a little lower than the upper-end published loads for true FMJ.

I'm thinking I will heed the advice about 10-round test batches though.

7. ashisherlock

ashisherlock

My suggestion is to throw the 231 in the trash and by some Tight Group. Much cleaner and very consistent velocities.

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I don't know about that statement using TG and Cleaner than 231??? I'm a TG fan use it exclusively for 9mm competition loads but wouldn't go as far as saying this.... it burns very hot and stains brass, the sootyness is evident after firing.
    Plus there are some demerits regarding TG, that I'll leave others to bring forth.... look out herrrrrrrrrees Fred :rofl:

9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I couldn't agree more..

To the OP, I've loaded 20 rounds at 1.150, and they were VERY light recoil..

10. zeke66

zeke66

FiremanMike; was this load using W231 powder? If so, how many grains? Thanks.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Why would you care how long factory ammo is? Your loading data will list how long you should make the round.

IGF

12. zeke66

zeke66

IIRC, the data I was looking at listed MAXIMUM COL and since the COL of the factory stuff I had on hand was under that, I went with it.

13. BadAndy

BadAndy

Check this link for reloading data. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp It's for Winchester/IMR/Hodgdon powders.

They don't list a recipe for 115gr FMJ/plated bullets but you can use the LRN as a guideline.

I've been loading my 9s with TG for a while now with pretty good results. I like it because I use less of it compared to other powders.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  14. fredj338

fredj338

Nah, W231 is fine, TG, not for me. Too small a charge volumn for the wt. & not very clean, infact scortches the krap out of your brass. Also smokes badly w/ lead bullets, burns too hot. About the only cart I would use it in is 380 or 9mm, but there are at least 10 powders that will do everything TG does, more safely & w/ the same accuracy. Most guys get into TG listening to some gamer's recommendation for powder. IT's greatest asset, you can save like 2/10 of a penny per round. If you are worried about powder position in a case, use a powder that fills it half way. I'll bet more guns have been KB w/ TG than any other powder but maybe Bullseye.:wow:
    SOrry, yes. As to plated. I would back the charge down 0.1gr for plated bullets. That gives me about the same vel as jacketed. All things being equal, vel=pressure.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  15. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Nerp, it was with 4.0gr of titegroup.. Sorry for the confusion. Oddly it cycled my gun every time, but I even had another shooter try it and he agreed it was way too lite. In fact, it was so lite, that I felt it was inappropriate to even use as practice ammo. I might use it someday for a speed shooting competition where rapid followups are key <shrug>

16. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

:agree: +1 Nothing worse is to pull a bunch of bullets if they are to low or to hot. Rather pull 7 than 47. Been there. :supergrin:

17. zeke66

zeke66

Finally got to the range with some test loads. 4.7grns of W231 under a Berry's 115grn plated bullet, loaded to 1.150 COL seems to be just fine. 4.5grns shot O.K. too, but I was getting a slightly lazy-feeling "floop-floop-floop" cycling.