close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm +P and +P+ ammo. Possibly "downgrading from 40".

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by thegriz18, Sep 10, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Ok, well, I'm thinking of switching to 9mm for EDC. I shoot the 40 just fine. No issues at all with that. I use a G23 for EDC, and am thinking about giving my Gen 2 G17 a whirl. IMO there is really no difference between a hot +P 9 mil load and a good 40 load when it comes to performance. Federal lists their HST 124 +P (P9HST3) at 1200 fps. On their poster they list velocity from a G17 at ~1250fps. Do many of you guys get that type of velocity from this round?

The next candidate is the venerable 9BPLE. That load is a proven performer by IL SP. I don't think it would be a bad choice at all.

The next choice is RA9TA, or Ranger T 124 +P+. Hot load, good performance.

Next up is Ranger Bonded/PDX1 124 +p. Seems to be a good load. My 165's in 40 performed very nicely in my own tests.

Out of those, I've searched for info on all of them both on here and on the net. I'm looking for experiences with these. Chrono, pen, exp, etc...

Now you might be asking why would I switch to a G17 from a G23. Well the real answer is I really like the Gen2 frame. Just feels so good. However, more than that is ammo price. Not SD ammo, but range ammo. I like to shoot. Forty rounds are $14 a box vs $10 for 9mm. For the cost of 2 boxes of 40 I can buy 3 boxes of 9 mil for a couple more bucks. Shoot Federal Champion, and then throw a box of Winchester NATO FMJ in there to duplicate my SD load and I'm good to go. As for carry, I'm going to go with a Nick Mathew's #1. Good holster, should work nicely. But this thread is about the 9 mil round, not EDC.

Fire Away Guys!!!!

2. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

Our issued platform is the 17 with 124+P HST's. I have complete confidence in both to defend my life every day.

3. JBP55

JBP55

I really like the 124+P HST. Pictures from yesterday with a G4 G17 shooting the HST3 from a rest at 75'.

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thanks guys! Either of you have any real world chrono data or performance experience? Gel tests, BG's, deer, etc..? The accuracy looks really nice.

5. carbofan21

carbofan21

6. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

This.

I would hardly call it a downgrade. Put some gold dots 124 gr. +P and you´ll get nearly identical or better results. And, more capacity to boot.

7. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The downgrade was tongue in cheek

8. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

+P+...++p...p++....

Whatever, you're still going to a smaller bullet.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    If you are comfortable with it and confident with it why not.

9. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I'm not volunteering to take a hit... Today it hit me. I bought 200 rounds for $42 and change. 200 rounds of 40 would have cost me $52. I bought 3 boxes of Fed Champion at $9.47 and one box of RWS at $12.47. The RWS stuff is pretty stout. More recoil that the Fed Champion.

10. hounds2

hounds2

i never understood the logic of pushing a round beyond its design to equal a round that is already available in the same gun. however, your financial reasoning is at least a logical one. i have a glock 19, glock 27 and glock 36. my 19 is a beautiful shooting gun, and is my main go-bang gun. i carry the 27 or the 36 for SD. by practicing with one glock i feel is practicing with all glocks. just may opinion..now to my comment on your post. my 19 with +p hydroshocks is no fun to shoot. as much flash and recoil as my 27, maybe more. with +p+, which i think you would need to use to reach the energy of the 40, it is miserable. you must be sure that if you practice with standard loads and carry atomic loads for SD you can make the transition if needed. you will need to practice with the +p+ if you intend on being confidentwith itin a stressful situation. your 9mm will be a different gun. good luck

scott

11. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

When I shot it today for the first time in months I was shocked at the lack of recoil. I was prepared for the sharp recoil of the 40 and was surprised when the muzzle barely moved. Granted I was shooting some weak 115 FMJ at 1125fps. The RWS ammo which AFAIK is close to NATO spec, was stout. I don't think that +P or +P+ ammo will give me much of a hassle since I am used to shooting hot 165gr. .40 cal loads.

12. docholliday1

docholliday1

I shot and chrono'd that round about 2 hours ago out of my Gen4 19. 17 shots averaged 1195fps, 1215-1182 fps across a Prochrono Digital. I also shot a opossum at about 3 feet and dug the bullets out of the dirt, expanded to .580-.605.
    I also chrono'd 10 rnds of M882 military 124gr ball ammo and it was even hotter, av 1239fps with 1263-1215fps range.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Shooting my two G19's and my G26 with Federal 9BPLE there is LESSmuzzle flip than shooting my hardly ever used G23 with standard 180gr range loads.

Years ago my buddy and I were able to chronograph the 9BPLE out of my G19.
    At appeox 90 degrees temp at 1351ft altitude a 5-shot average of 9BPLE out of the G19 was 1319 fps.

And BTW, to all those nay-sayers, the 115 +P+ loads (especially the Win and Fed loads) have been reliably putting down BGs looooonnnng before the 40 Short & Week EVER existed.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  14. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

What load did you chrono?

15. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I can only imagine what it will look like from a G17. Probably 1320fps at my altitude. That's a hot load. What was Pen and Exp like, if you tested it?

16. docholliday1

docholliday1

Sorry missed that part, it was the Federal HST 124gr +P 9mm

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

At the time we were testing 9mm Extreme Shock in a ballistic wax block that is supposed to be similar to gel blocks and provided by Jeff Mullins of ES.

IIRC the 9BPLE got around 9.5", which is in the neighborhood of 10" in gel. It mushroomed well, but we didn't get a chance to weigh the slug.
    The Win 147SXT Black Talon my buddy shot zipped right thru the block and wasn't recovered.

18. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I'm considering a 'downgrade' to 9mm from .40 as well, for a few different reasons, mostly posted elsewhere. Although this is far from scientific, I've come to the conclusion that the .40 just doesn't do anything for me. I love shooting 45acp & 357sig, but the 9mm just seems to do so well at whatever I ask of it. Couple that w/a G19, which truly seems to be the darling of all Glock pistols, & I think I'll have a winner.

As to terminal ballistics, check out some Youtube if you haven't already done so & I think you'll come up w/what you're lookig for.

19. JK-linux

JK-linux

IMHO, either 9BPLE or the RA9TA would do a number on someone. I ran the ISP 115 for ages since it was the "gold standard" back in the day, but went 124 a while back. Mostly, it seemed like I was able to follow up quicker with 124's in general. I just chug along better with that weight - go figure. Of course, 90% of the time, 5 rounds of 158gr .38 +P gets me through the day, so what do I know. ;)

20. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

The Glock 17 is the most reliable of all Glocks. Loaded with the hot 115 +P type loads out of a Glock 17 it is real close to the 125 grain 357 Magnum loads out of a short barrel revolver with 3 times the ammo. You have lots of good ammo choices in 9mm as well.