9mm mouse fart recipe?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Feb 3, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

Does anyone have a good very light load for 9mm.
    I'm using 115 gr RN, and Unique powder.
    How light do you think I can go before I run into problems?
    So far 5.7gr has been my hottest and 4.9gr my lowest. All rounds fired without issue.

I'm shooting these from an XD9 and it has a heavy spring (factory) and slide.

Also I assume that the gun won't cycle before I get a squib. Is that a correct assumption?

If you guys have recipes for another powder I could buy it to try, so that's not a problem.

Thanks

2. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

Stick to the manual. Either the one I gave you or look one up online.

Too little powder can cause a number of problems. Some suck, some hurt and suck.:wavey:

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

TKM, I just responded to the other thread thanking you for the brass:rofl:
    What a trip. I will refer to the books, I just wanted to see if anyone had any golden recipes they wanted to share.

Thanks again:wavey:

4. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I get around, I've got a stack of Glocks too.

Glad you could use the brass.

Look up detonation and reloading. It is possible for a very light load to go off all at once instead of burning smoothly. Loads are usually designed to fill up the case and produce the desired power level/velocity. Trying to squeeze the very last penny out of a pound of powder is part of being a reloader, but you have to be very careful.

Have fun.

P.S. My girlfriend used to teach at Helix.:supergrin:

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

No such thing as a "Golden Recipe" that does not line up with your load book.

6. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

the start charges for W231 are mild

115 grain precision delta with a start charge of Winchester 231 ball powder.

7. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

How low are you thinking of going? and what are you trying to do?

Be careful. Squibs are very dangerous. So are light loads.
    Light powder loads are prone to detonating and splitting cases

8. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Well the thing is I suck. I can't hit anything. I'm getting pretty good with a 22 but the larger calibers (even 9mm) still get me. I thought if I loaded a round with hardly any recoil I could work on improving my groups and eventually build my way up to a hotter round.

Also for plinking I enjoy the low recoil so it would be nice for that as well.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Chris, Unique is just not going to give good results loaded below medium pressures. you'll get a lot of unburned powder & soot. You could try a 147gr bullet. It will load well w/ Unique & many feel it has softer recoil. You can drop to a faster powder like W231, WST or AA#2 for lighter loads w/ the 115gr. You are likely to run into problems around 850fps w/ 115gr bullets.

10. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Sure try some lighter loads then. But I would also highly recommed someone to guide and instruct you on the basic's. I wished I would have spent some time learning the correct way rather then what I did was to go out and shoot learning bad habits that I later had to learn not to do. It would have been much easier to learn the correct way first.

A good instructer will save you alot of time and money in the long run and you will improve much quicker.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Well, you got the wrong powder for that. If you want truely light felt recoil you want a quick powder like Titegroup. You also want a heavier bullet. BUT, fear not. The 9mm at starting loads with Unique is still mild. If it's not mild enough get a pound of titegroup and some heavier bullets. Reality is it really sounds like you need some training with your grip/stance/etc. 9mm is not a tough load at all with reloads and starting loads.

12. recycooler

recycooler 9-11-2001

For shooting tips look up "butch" here on GT,go to his blog he has good tips there.

13. XDRoX

XDRoX

I'll try that, thanks.

I have also been watching hickok45's how to videos on youtube. They have really helped a lot.

I'm actually not that bad. I can shoot 6" groups at 10 yards and 1' groups at 15 yards.
    But with my 22's I can shoot 3-4" groups, so I know it's the larger caliber that hurting me. And I still so catch myself flinching now and then with the 9mm.

I just want to get really really good. Like hickok45.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Flinch is a tough cure. Dry fire a lot with the gun you are having issues with. Make some dummy rounds with no powder. Fill the primer hole with RTV/Silicon sealant and cut it level after it drys. Mix those in with your practice rounds and don't look at the primer when you load the magazine. Concentrate on not flinching. The dummy round will help you learn to let the gun do what it should do. Grip is the key as well. It's mental at this state of your learning.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  15. fredj338

fredj338

Well there is no substitute for trigger time, but w/o some diagnostics to your shooting, you can waste a lot of time & money. Poor practice=poor perfromance. With good ammo, gun & shooter, sub 2" groups are easily done out to 15yds. If you are having trouble going form 22lr to 9mm, there is something going on w/ your grip &/or stance that is letting the recoil get the best of you.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Don't discount the fine art of 'flinching'... it takes decades upon decades to develop the 'perfect flinch'.

Personally I rely on a stiff cross wind and violent flinch to occasionally throw a round or two into the X ring.

Copious amounts of Starbucks coffee just prior to each shooting session will help facilitate the desired result.

Jack

17. TonyT

TonyT

If you want lower velocity loads you will be better off going with a faster burning powder. A freind of mine uses American Select for lighter velocity loads. In 9mm I stick to WSF with 124 to 147 gr bullets pushing the 147 gr. at 900 fps and the 124 gr at 1075 fps.

18. mboylan

mboylan

You're kind of looking at the wrong components for mouse fart loads. Heavy bullets require less powder volume for the same power factor and kick less.

My favorite is Berry's 147 gr RN over 3.2 gr of TiteGroup.
    Second favorite is Berry's 124 gr RN over 3.9 gr of TiteGroup.

Both will make power factor in a G34.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  19. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Odd! My "8 Ball" shows the absolute lightest load is........8.8 grns of IMR 4227 for a whopping 820 fps. This is a COMPRESSED load as might be expected. I may have to load a few to shoot the night of July 4th! Betcha you get quite a flame!

4.0 grns of TiteGroup or Universal and you're up to 945 fps!

All my loads using Unique......none are "mouse farts." Gotta be a reason. Could be that Unique doesn't work well for those?

Note for first load....14,500 c.u.p

20. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker