GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just come into a large quantity of 380 ammunition. I have a ruger lcp in 380, but shooting it for any extended range time is not a pleasant experience.

I have a g19 Gen 5 in 9mm, as well as other 9s too. I was wondering if anyone ever swapped out the 9mm barrel for a 380 barrel? Is there even such a thing as a conversion barrel swapping a 9 into a 380?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That would be nice if there would come about conversion barrels to go from 9mm to 380 acp. I suspect a change of recoil spring would be necessary. There must be an engineering hurdle that has made it difficult since it is not on the market already.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got multiple boxes of unopened 380, probably several hundred rounds. Range and SD versions. Didn't think of selling it, but I would just rather shoot it if I could. Now you have me thinking.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes! I haven't bought ammunition in years since I reload my own. I just looked up 380 prices and I'm shocked! I could buy a house with what I've got (well, maybe not a house but a nice shed!). Prices are insane. I can't begin to imagine what drives that market because its a 9mm only .100 shorter case. This is nuts.

Reactions: slamdunc

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
That would be nice if there would come about conversion barrels to go from 9mm to 380 acp. I suspect a change of recoil spring would be necessary. There must be an engineering hurdle that has made it difficult since it is not on the market already.
I think the mags are the problem. Since the Glock 28 isn't sold in the US and the 380 is shorter, I would think there would be feeding issues trying to use a 9mm mag.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Unless you are talking multiple cases, keep it. It won't "pay off your house" so to speak. Ammo really takes up little space and properly stored, will last many decades. Any ammo stock you have now is worth holding IMO.

Chip away at with your LCP and who knows, you may find a G42 or other, larger 380 gun that would be a pleasure at the range.

ETA: Just saw your post #6. If you have that much, maybe sell some of it? I'd still keep a case or even two.

·
17,564 Posts
I've just come into a large quantity of 380 ammunition. I have a ruger lcp in 380, but shooting it for any extended range time is not a pleasant experience.

I have a g19 Gen 5 in 9mm, as well as other 9s too. I was wondering if anyone ever swapped out the 9mm barrel for a 380 barrel? Is there even such a thing as a conversion barrel swapping a 9 into a 380?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
If shooting you LCP is not a pleasant experience, I suggest you get a Glock 42. That way you can practice with the 380 ammo that you have and carry it with Underwood Plus+P 90 grain XTP's and have a more effective weapon for defensive purposes.

The .380 does not produce enough muzzle energy to cycle a 9mm slide and would require a lot more than just a barrel change. Otherwise you could fire 380 in a 9mm chamber and the shorter cartridge would headspace on the extractor claw just like with shooting 40 S&W out of a 10mm.

·
Galloglaich
460 Posts
Since 9x19mm fires from a locked breech in most guns and 9x17mm (.380ACP) uses simple blowback against the recoil spring you would need to modify the gun to not lock the breech as the 9x17mm doesn't have a sufficient recoil impulse to properly cycle the action as Borg Warner pointed out.

Reactions: Willard

·
NRA Life Member
64,045 Posts
For what .380 is selling for, you could buy a lot of 9mm. Just sell it.
That would be my idea. .380 is hot right now. I sold some revolver ammo at the last gun show, but I wish I had a load of .380 to sell at the next one.

Reactions: Cambo and Mugsie1

·
NRA Life Member
64,045 Posts
I've got multiple boxes of unopened 380, probably several hundred rounds. Range and SD versions. Didn't think of selling it, but I would just rather shoot it if I could. Now you have me thinking.
Take it to the gun show and see what they'll trade. You could certainly trade it one for one for .40, but from what I have heard you might trade it for 9mm or .45.

Reactions: Mugsie1

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I could shoot it in any of the four G42's that we own. That would be a very good option. The G42 is a great little gun that fits in the pocket very well. Ammo for a .380 is outrageous. Since I reload, it's not so expensive.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yikes! I haven't bought ammunition in years since I reload my own. I just looked up 380 prices and I'm shocked! I could buy a house with what I've got (well, maybe not a house but a nice shed!). Prices are insane. I can't begin to imagine what drives that market because its a 9mm only .100 shorter case. This is nuts.
.380 has a slightly smaller case head .374" vs. .394". Also the 9mm case has about .010" taper.

·
Glock 23
559 Posts
Is .380 more than 9mm right now? How much is it?

·
10mm Philosopher
6,096 Posts
Better still is a simple barrel-swap between the .380 (9x17) and the 9mm Makarov (9x18). The cartridges will run in the same mags, and you can still find 9mm Mark ammo at decent prices.

Reactions: billy_56081
1 - 20 of 32 Posts