9mm headstamp matching...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Mar 5, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I have two bins for clean brass.. WWB brass and everything else, am I wasting my time? This is just for practice ammo...

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

It's not a waste of time if you enjoy doing it... otherwise ya, it's a waste of time. If it's practice ammo you want an occasional malfunction so you learn how to clear 'em fast and without thinking.

An important match, or social situation would not be a good time for your first experience.

But then again... that's just me.

Jack

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

If I'm staying on the lower end for a practice round, I'll use mixed headstamps. For anything more serious, I'll separate.

I never mix headstamps if I'm loading toward the upper end of the data or any rifle rounds.

4. D. Manley

D. Manley

Jack's got it right, pretty much a waste of time. That said, I do...very handy for avoiding the endless "honey-do" chores.

5. fredj338

fredj338

If you want the mot unifrom ammo, then sort your brass, keep records of how many times fired & don;t mix them. Does it really matter, not unless you are running +P+ loads or shooting for 50yd bullseye matches. I never sort, only cull the evil brass cases like Amerc or Wolf.

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I do reloading for 40 S&W. I like Rem brass best but also use Win brass. These two give me less problems than other brands I have used.
    Makes me happy!:wavey:

7. dudel

dudel

I segregate brass. Brass with the same headstamp tends to "feel" the same when reloading. Thus if you get a primer that's hard to seat, it's an indication of a problem. In 9mm, it also culls out the occasional .380 round.

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I have started noticing an unlimited amount of headstamps. There seem to be a million different FEDERAL, Federal, etc all with different fonts in the same caliber. So are they all Federal, or are they different? My guess is that they get the stuff made all over the place, maybe even Mexico and put there name on it. Is it all made to the same internaql dimensions with the same brass formula? What about Speer and CCI which look the same? How long will it be before Speer, CCI, and Federal all use the same brass with different headstamps since they are all owned by ATK? Kind of like a Chevy and a Pontiac having the same motor.

Anyway, for pistol shooting I don't sort. I just look through to make sure I don't get any "FC" 40 caliber brass or the dreaded AMERC.

For the very little rifle shooting I do, I have 100 pieces of Win 30-06 brass that I bought new and keep togeather. I think the only way to know if you have brass that is all the same is to buy it togeather and keep it that way.

9. zeke66

zeke66

Your sizing die will cull out the .380 rounds. You'll feel NOOOO pressure. DAMHIK.:whistling:

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

For practice sessions, sorting/keeping brass separated reminds me of my oldest son.
    He would not put any two food types on his plate at the same time, together.
    Meat first. Then corn. Then beans. Then a slice of bread.

"Son. Why??"
    "I don't want them to touch."
    "Why? Don't you think they aren't going to get together in your stomach?"
    :wow:

Match loads. . . brass is always sorted/separated.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I sort/separate... into THREE "batches". I have lots of WIN brass, BLAZER brass, then everything else goes into the MIXED bin.

For practicing, I use the MIXED stuff, for competitions (IDPA or GSSF) I will use either the WIN or BLAZER, but it will be all the same for that match.

Probably doesn't make a big difference in the long run, but it works for me. I sort in front of the TV. But it's NOT "just sorting". It's when I examine the brass for splits, make sure there's nothing left inside the case from tumbling, etc... The last thing is to check the headstamp and simply toss into the appropriate bin. It also allows me to "cull" that brass I know doesn't work well for me, such as S&B, or WCC (both crimped primers?).

And to also separate out those dang .380's. Sure, you can do that WHILE reloading, but to me I don't want the annoyance then to throw off my rhythym. If it happens THEN, you have to remove the case, and now you've already "thrown" the arm, so you can't put a proper case in and rethrow. You have to cycle the shellplate and now you have an empty spot. No big deal, but I when I first started I didn't separate and I really like not having the random .380 or that brass with the crimped primers to slow me down. I've found out that extra time doing my sorting/examining/culling makes my time AT the press be that much more efficient.

12. JMiller

JMiller

You guys and your progressives. :upeyes:

13. Glocken-spiel

Glocken-spiel

i'd be glad to pay the postage for your accumulations of that cursed .380 brass (in good condition)! if you need to discard it, i'll make a home for it. PM me. :cool:

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have my .380 brass listed for sale, nobody has asked for it yet...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184245

What do you think ?

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

16. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Almost 40 years ago I would sort headstamps for every caliber I was reloading. There is nothing wrong with doing it and that's how I found out that all brass is not created equal.

Now days I just toss any brass that looks crappy and load the rest, I don't sort my blasting ammo brass.

17. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I sort primarily to keep out the odd, military, or unrecognized headstamps. I have bins for Win, CCI, Fed and the oddballs.

18. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

The only time I sort pistol brass is when I am working up a new load. I figure that it is best to have the same mfg brass during the process to keep everything as equal as possible, except for the powder and/or bullet.

Otherwise, it all goes together to draw from when reloading.

19. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I sort it all after tumbling, if I have more than a couple hundred of a headstamp it gets it's own bag. Huge majority is Win, R&P and CCI, but I do have some bags of others and then a big mixed bag. Honestly I picked up enough range brass in the last few years I've never touched the mixed.

20. DannyB

DannyB

If you were shooting a finicky pistol then maybe yes. However, I have never separated brass and the only time I have ever had a jam was due to a real dirty Beretta or some other less than reliable gun. With Glocks, H&K's, Springers ---- mix them up and roll on.

Edit: I just committed on another forum to buy 3,000 mixed 9mm brass and I don't plan on even looking at the headstamps.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010