close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm for the wife

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RustyL, Oct 25, 2012.

1. RustyL

RustyL

I think she can handle this gun, I don't want her to have a glock. I know she is going to purse carry and will not put it in a compartment on its own. I want her to have something with a manual safety, I'm scared a lipstick, pencil, or whatever will get inside the guard. I said all that to ask, what would be a good gun for her in 9mm?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

I would say to reconsider the carry plan first. Any gun rolling around loose in a purse with the possibility of getting a lipstick, keys, or anything else in the trigger guard is a bad plan.

3. Osborne

Osborne

Ruger LC9

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

If that is what she actually wants......her mind ya, not you....that's what she should go with IMO. If she waants/feels a wheel gun would be better for her as well......Taurus makes some nice snubbie 9mm's, again IMO.

:wavey:

5. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Yup, this whole thing sounds poorly planned. She needs a holster of some kind, and she should really pick her own gun, one she is comfortable shooting and carrying.

6. windpoint

windpoint

If I or a member of my family were to be shot due to such irresponsible behavior I would sue you for everything you now or ever will own. How can you even think this is an acceptable idea?

7. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

HK USP compact. But purse carry without it being in its own compartment is asinine. Have her try drawing from her purse like that. While you walk up to her from across the room and slap some sense into her before she can even find the right end of the gun.

I purse carry, too - but the gun gets it's own compartment. I HATE carrying that way because it adds a good two seconds to my draw time, and that's with practice. I'm glad winter is nearly here and I can go back to carrying on my hip.

8. RustyL

RustyL

Windpoint, get a grip brah. This is why I'm asking a question(s). My wife is a girlie girl, I don't she her carrying any other way. Poorly planned? Possibly yes, I want to surprise her with a gift. however, i do believe yall are right, it is her that is going to have to carry the damn thing. I will let her decide....:cheers:

9. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

I broke my wife from purse carry. I had a friend walk up , snatch it and stand there with it in his hand. Lesson learned. She now carries it IWB or pocket carry. Purse carry will be a disadvantage for her. Her choice of weapon was a S&W 640 . Like a point and shoot camera , if the 1st don't go bang , keep pulling the trigger .

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I would suggest you let your wife choose her own gun and not pick one out for her. I have 2 Glocks and love them both. The G26 is my concealed carry in cooler months when I have heavier clothes on that hide it better.

11. boomhower

boomhower

He's right. What's so hard about putting the gun is a simple pocket holster that coves the trigger before putting it the purse? My wife purse carries as well. She uses a purse designed for such with a side zippered gun compartment that has built in holster that covers the trigger. Loosely carrying a gun just flipping around the inside of her purse is a prison sentence waiting to happen. She carries .40 Sig P239.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

12. RustyL

RustyL

Yes, seconds make a lot of difference. She has enough sense to keep it in its own compartment. I also know her purse is the equivalent to a moving van. A holster and manual safety was kinda what I was thinking, but like others have suggested, she has to carry the darn thing, I myself like IWB Crossbreed.

People don't panic like windpoint, this is why I'm asking questions

13. ksmedman

ksmedman

I made the mistake of trying to "help" my wife with her choice of pistol, too.
    I though a good snubbie made a lot of sense. Easy manual of arms, reliable, 'point and pull' if you will.
    Well... she hated it. Recoil was too sharp for her. Now she carries a Kahr CW9. Loves it, and shoots it pretty darn well.

As for manner of carry, your wife needs to understand that a good holster is a must, where ever she puts it. Find the gun she will carry and actually use, and then work on how she wants to carry it.

14. RustyL

RustyL

A lesson learned, who knows maybe she will IWB

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, does the lady even know how to shoot? If not then consider get her some training first. Preferrably professional training starting from basic marksmanship and graduate to defensive/combative marksmanship. Once she knows how to handle a gun in both range situation and defensive situation, I'm sure that she'd know what kind of gun she wants to have.

That's the smart way of doing thing. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

16. RustyL

RustyL

I think we have a consensus here, yeah I did the last two times on her new vehicles, I learned my lesso and let her pick out the one she wanted, shoulda figured handguns would be the same.:whistling:

17. windpoint

windpoint

Get a grip??? I spent ten years on a rescue squad and ten years in a hospital seeing the result of stupid ideas. Carrying a gun is the most responsible thing you can do. A gun has one purpose, to KILL! No, I won't "get a grip".

18. devildog2067

devildog2067

It's not panic.

Carrying a firearm loose in a bag with other items is a recipe for disaster. It's as irresponsible as taking a loaded weapon and spinning it on your finger.

A gun belongs:

In your hand
    In the safe
    In a holster that covers the trigger

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's a simplistic view. Which holster and where? IWB, OWB, SOB, ankle?

Why dismiss purse carry? It's just another means of transport. Maybe it doesn't fit all the time, but what if she were to go to an evening ball? Where is she going to pack a holster if she were to wear a strapless evening gown slit to the thigh?

A nice slim .380 in the clutch is a whole lot better than a Mitch Rosen IWB sitting at home.

20. RustyL

RustyL

Yeah, she can shoot, my daughter can as well. Though neither of them have CC permit, I do. And training is what I have in mind for all of us in 3 or 4 months. It will cost about 1k for all of us for training and have money already set aside for it, I had to get it out before she laid hands on it to spend on Christmas.....:rofl: