9mm: CorBon 115 +P or CorBon 115 DPX +P?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by spyderhead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. spyderhead

spyderhead

Would like your opinions on these two rounds only. I have already investigated (and own) Speer Gold Dot, Remington, etc. Have eliminated anything and everything in 147 gr. I have narrowed my choice for CCW ammo to these two rounds only, but I am having a time deciding between them. Which is better all around: the CorBon 115 gr +p or the CorBon 115 gr +p DPX? This is carry ammo and price is of no consequence. Thanks in advance.

2. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

The DPX is a better penetrator and ALWAYS opens up. The normal Corbon 115 gr. +p is a great round that has stopped a lot of bad guys. In all likelihood you would notice little difference in stopping someone IMO.

They are both winners. Use either and don´t worry. :cool:

3. N/Apower

N/Apower

I like the DPX. It was reliable and accurate in my testing. It punched car doors pretty darn well for a 115gr round, also. Dunno how much oomph it had on the other side, but here is the recovered round (dunno what it did, found it after moving around the cross-ties I used as a back-stop, so no clue how much wheaties it had left on the other side) after shooting through both the outer-inner (and I don't remember, but very possibly) the cross-bracing on a mid 80's Crown Vic cop car.

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the nose pan-caked and formed what amounts to a wad-cutter probably near .38-.40caliber (slight expansion). Pretty darn effective, historically.

My ONLY problem with DPX is that I require a 250 round function-test as a minimum for any ammunition I am going to trust when the chips are down. With DPX, this means deep pockets. It is pricey. You have already stated that price does not concern you, so that shouldn't matter. Buy 500 rounds, shoot half of it, and stash/load the rest. You will be set for life (unless you expend over 250 rounds during a SHTF situation, in which case you still are VERY likely to be "set for life".)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. ronin.45

ronin.45

This is my answer as well.

5. spyderhead

spyderhead

Thanks. I really do appreciate it. It is good to have to make a choice when both of the choices are excellent. Thanks again for the advice/info.

6. Angel King

Angel King

When I carried a G19, I loaded it with Corbon 90gr. +P.

That round was very fast. Approx. 1500 fps.

7. N/Apower

N/Apower

The only problem is if it hits anything (arm, etc.) on it's way to the thoracic cavity.

8. Angel King

Angel King

True.
    so now I carry either a .40 with Fed. HST's or .45 with silvertips.

But you know, with today's modern ammunition, the 9mm is pretty respectable. I'm considering a Gen4 G17 to carry from time to time. 18 rnds of 9 isn't too bad.

I think the 124gr. +P loads are a good middle of road compromise for speed/penetration.

Gold Dot perhaps.

9. N/Apower

N/Apower

The modern 9mm is as good as any, imho.

I still like the 357SIG though. It makes a big boom and that makes me happy.

10. Angel King

Angel King

I like the round very much. Looks very cool too.

But if you get the 9/.40/.45 for free from the dep. and have to pay outa pocket for the .357, then the choice is clear for my cheap *****.

I did get a conversion barrel for my G22 a while back. Fun round.

11. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

You can't go wrong with the 115 Gr. +P (Non-DPX) load from Cor-Bon.

I like the DPX. I like that it can penetrate, but the standard 115 Gr. +P Cor-Bon has a pretty good record as does their 125 Gr. +P load.

If cost isn't an issue, go DPX. But, remember you can buy a hell of a lot more of the standard load as opposed to the DPX. That will translate to more range time and the ability to really test the gun.

Just my .02.

12. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Agreed.

13. Angel King

Angel King

When it comes down to it. They are both great rounds. And if the guy can take two or three of any round, then just keep pumpin them in until he can't take any more.

You have 18 rounds in a G17 for Christ sake. LOL

14. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER