9mm conversion for a .40 sigma?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by James Markov, Mar 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. James Markov

James Markov

I think the 9mm and .40 sigma's are on the same frame, so can you shoot cheaper 9mm ammo if you get a conversion kit?

2. oldnoob

oldnoob

Does anyone even make a conversion barrel for Sigma?

3. James Markov

James Markov

4. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

There are currently no barrel manufacturing companies offering a .40/9mm conversion barrel for the Sigma.

Typically the cost of a conversion barrel is somewhere between $100 and $150 which is approximately half the cost of a used Sigma. Have you considered just purchasing a new gun instead?

5. James Markov

James Markov

Yea..I thought about that also..

6. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

I don't know if you currently reload your ammunition but, if you are not doing so yet, this may also be a good alternative for you.

Though there is a slight price difference between 9mm and .40 S&W bullets, many times it is negligible (less than $10 per thousand).

The initial investment for a reloading press and components will probably be about the same as the price for a new pistol. The big difference is that, in the long run, reloading will help you save a significant amount of money over purchasing loaded ammunition.

7. James Markov

James Markov

What is the lightest .40 cal round?

8. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

The most common "light" .40S&W is the 165gr. The lightest .40 cal bullet that I have ever tried is a 140gr Round Nose Flat Point (RNFP) bare lead bullet. I don't know if something this light is also offered in FMJ or plated bullet.

9. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

135 grain as far as I know

10. diamondmike

diamondmike

Its probably the same frame but in order to convert it you would have to buy a entire slide and barrel for a 9mm to convert it right.

A 9mm is smaller around than a 40 and that means a 9mm would not rest right where the firing pin comes through to hit the primer.
    The primer strikes would hit high and maybe not even hit the primer and hit the brass instead.
    Plus the extractor would have to be longer if you used a 40 slide or the extractor would not grip the grooved area around the casing to pull out the spent casing.
    Then you would have to buy 9mm magazines.

By the time you buy all this you might as well just buy a Sigma in 9mm since they are not a expensive gun anyway.