Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a well-used Gen 2 Model 23 from a buddy who carried it for 20 years working for a major metro police department. I've replaced the springs recommended by GT readers and it works well. I've shot all three 13-round mags with ball ammo and my favorite CC ammo (Federal HST 180 grain). I also picked up a 15-round mag and have no doubt it will also work just fine in the gun. In an IDPA match the gun performed without a hiccup in the SSP division.

While I have a Sig Sauer P365 for every day carry and a G42 for pocket carry and other discreet circumstances, I wouldn't mind having a 9mm barrel for the G23, along with a few 9mm magazines.

Two questions: first, will a stock 9mm barrel from a G19 work in the gun? Second, would I need to swap out the extractor and ejector for the gun to function properly?

This is my 'cheap' home defense gun so I'm not looking to invest a lot of money. The slide is worn and it's not a handsome gun by anyone's estimation, so I'm just considering the possibility of making it more utilitarian.

Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,196 Posts
I opening on the front of the slide that the barrel moves through is bigger on a 40 slide. So a stock 9mm would have too much wiggle room. A 9mm conversion barrel on the other hand has thicker walls so the outside diameter fills that opening while the inside is 9mm size. Some pistols you can just use a stock 9mm barrel but I don’t think Glock would work that way.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,196 Posts
As a side note you can fire 9mm rounds out of a G23 magazine. Not saying it is 100% reliable 100% of the time, but it just might be. When I use to carry a G19 off duty I qualified one year with it but grabbed one of my G23 mags by mistake. I was more than halfway through quals when I discovered I was using two G19 mags and one G23 mag. Shot just fine.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have the same gun and use a Lone Wolf conv. barrel w/ G19 mags. Never had a bobble. i prefer the 40 for self defense but would have no worries if I were to use the gun with the 9mm barrel in it in a serious situation.

·
19,026 Posts
The only advantage to being able to shoot 9mm ammo is that 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 S&W ammo for practice. The conversion barrels work very well, especially the KKM barrel, but I still would never stake my life on it which is what you may have to do with a home defense gun, so for that purpose, stick with your 180 grain HST's and use the 9mm barrel for practice only.

My opinion is that 40 S&W, particularly with 180 grain HST's, is better defensive round anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a well-used Gen 2 Model 23 from a buddy who carried it for 20 years working for a major metro police department. I've replaced the springs recommended by GT readers and it works well. I've shot all three 13-round mags with ball ammo and my favorite CC ammo (Federal HST 180 grain). I also picked up a 15-round mag and have no doubt it will also work just fine in the gun. In an IDPA match the gun performed without a hiccup in the SSP division.

While I have a Sig Sauer P365 for every day carry and a G42 for pocket carry and other discreet circumstances, I wouldn't mind having a 9mm barrel for the G23, along with a few 9mm magazines.

Two questions: first, will a stock 9mm barrel from a G19 work in the gun? Second, would I need to swap out the extractor and ejector for the gun to function properly?

This is my 'cheap' home defense gun so I'm not looking to invest a lot of money. The slide is worn and it's not a handsome gun by anyone's estimation, so I'm just considering the possibility of making it more utilitarian.

Appreciate any input.
If it were me, and I wanted to shoot 9mm, I would just buy a G19 - or any other dedicated 9mm pistol.

If you want to convert, you will definitely need a conversion barrel (suggest KKM - as Borg recommended above), and I might replaced the ejector and magazines just to ensure better functioning.

The best answer is still a G19 (or any 9mm if that's what you want to shoot). The breech face, extractor, ejector, and magazine will all be aligned for the same caliber. Maximum reliability.

Keep the 40 S&W a 40 S&W. It's a good round.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G223B.JPG
All right. This proves it! I'm just a slave to you guys and gals. Here are your pictures. My apologies for the quality but I'm a holdout and still using an Apple iPhone 5S; in cell phone terms it's a dinosaur (which fits my personality, I AM a dinosaur and one that has never engaged in social media, if you can believe that).

My buddy says the gun "has other people's DNA on it." He described one incident while working undercover in Vice were he used it to subdue a very large perpetrator who was preparing to beat up a female undercover officer.

The white crayon look was something he did to easily find it after range sessions. Apparently the armorer would clean the guns and inspect them after they shot qualifications and other matches, etc.

In retrospect, after 15 years of buying and selling Glocks (my first one was a G27 back in the winter of 2004-5) this gun now feels HUGE in my average size hands, especially after making the conversion to a Sig P365 and a G42 in recent months. I can actually shoot the Sig as well as previous Glocks, placing 24th out of 64 shooters in a March IDPA match before the poopie hit the fan. On that particular day I was in a squad with a younger man who won the USPSA International match a couple years go (not sure which division). We've got several national and international champions at the range where I compete; very humbling, indeed.
G23A.JPG
G23C.JPG

I also got a chance to shoot the G23 in an IDPA match and it worked very well for me. Snappy recoil? I dunno, perhaps I'm not very sensitive to recoil. For nearly 10 years I hunted whitetail deer with a S&W 629 .44 magnum. It was very lethal and the recoil was absolutely miserable out of that 4" barrel. Makes the .40 caliber feel like a *****cat.

Enjoy the pix. (P.S. - the night sights were dead so I added a bit of white finger nail polish to the rear sights and some neon orange to the front … sort of a poor man's fiber optics. Still debating whether or not to put real night sights on it, which would make sense for a HD gun.)

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,196 Posts
I think a pistol like that deserves to be treated to some fresh night sights. Glock night sights can be had pretty cheap and they're easy to install.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
A little worn maybe, but hardly worn out. I love my own 23. Conversion barrel and some mags if you want to do 9mm and you are good to go. I went KKM, but others seem to work as well.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm tempted to do the night sights. If I ever get my 'stimulus' payment I can wait until the local Glock store has a sale and get them on both my G23 and my G42. Although I have the tool for changing the front sight, I have no sight pusher for the rear one. I've changed them in past, pounding them out (and in) with a nylon or brass rod (?). I just prefer having the Glock armorer do it … and I know they'll put a dab of Loctite on the front sight for me.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have had a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my G23 (Gen3) for many years, qualified with it and was able to carry it as I trusted it to work every time...get yourself some G19 and G17 (for reloads if you like) and you'll be just fine...I never needed to change the extractor as some recommend and I seem to remember (too many years ago now) that Storm Lake did not require this with their conversion barrel...

Enjoy but try it before betting your life on it but I bet it'll work like a GLOCK

Bill

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I bought a well-used Gen 2 Model 23 from a buddy who carried it for 20 years working for a major metro police department.
FWIW, a G23 with serial CKM###US would have been imported in August 1997. It is NOT sanctioned by Glock for a G32 357SIG barrel because it is a Gen2 G23 earlier than serial CPU###US (imported February 1998).

An aftermarket 9x19mm conversion barrel is the only option for using a caliber other than 40SW. However, there are a lot of significant components that differ between a Gen2 real G19 and a Gen2 faux-G19 made from a G23 with aftermarket 9mm conversion barrel:

1. Slide
2. Barrel
3. Firing Pin
4. Extractor
5. Spring-loaded Bearing
6. Ejector in Trigger Mechanism Housing
7. Magazine.

You'll probably get by with just the conversion barrel and 9x19mm magazines. All 9x19mm conversions of Glock 40SW pistols are more than a little "half-vast" :) but perfectly suitable for use as a range toy.

A 40SW G23 is a much better WEAPON than one emasculated by a 9x19mm conversion.

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Registered
216 Posts
I sent my Gen2 23 off for a little bit of slide work but it will be in my bugout bag once I get it back. I have a Storm Lake conv 9mm barrel for it because I like to celebrate diversity. I will mirror the suggestion of getting it some fresh night sights. Nice score though. I think the Gen2s were the best glocks made.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to you all. At this point, I'm more inclined to keep it .40 caliber and see about some OEM night sights when they are on sale. I've got about 200 rounds of the Federal HST 180 hollow points, so that should last me awhile, given my current threat assessment (which could change, if present circumstances continue to degenerate).

Stay tuned ...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have been carrying my G22 on duty since 2003. The frying pan finish looks new. Unlike your friend, OP, mine will remain in my possession when I retire. I use a Lone Wolf 40/9 barrel to shoot 9mm, with no other parts swapped except magazines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts