9mm Ammo Summary - Grains, -P+, etc..... Benefits, Drawbacks

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by jpohl402, Feb 19, 2010.

1. jpohl402

jpohl402

As title states.
    Please explain to me the differences/outcome while shooting.
    Thanks.

2. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

I would check out the posts below this is one of the oldest topics going here lots of good info lots of fluff

You need to add some more info what are you looking for this for carry target- going to carry the gun keep it at home

3. jpohl402

jpohl402

Thank you. I will search topics below.

To elaborate a bit,
    I only knew the difference between JHP and FMJ rounds.
    I have been carrying for years, and in previous guns (Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Taurus PT92) I usually shoot whatever is cheapest at the range (typically 115gr) and carry Hollow Points so bullets do not penetrate, etc.
    What brought up the question, is I recently purchased a Walther PPS which I have not even shot yet. I have read that the gun can be particular with some types of ammo, and prefers "higher quality" - which I would assume to mean heavier, higher grain (and more expensive.) As far as the P factor - is that printed on the box? I briefly skimmed through those topics, and I thought there was a -P, +P, -P+.... but maybe there are not that many types......

As far as my personal carry - in a self defense, close range situation, I would presume that 115gr JHP in any P factor should be sufficient. Just not trying to have my PPS slide lock up because of inferior ammo, which they have been known to do.

Thanks again ! Regards

4. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

By "higher quality" I think that means no Wolf or other Russian ammo. Otherwise your other name brands should be just fine through your PPS (sweet shooter by the way). For the range I don't think you will need anything with a +.

5. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Because your question is specific to Walther, I would highly suggest posting your question in the Walther forum in GlockTalk here -
    https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

Otherwise, the best any of us can tell you in caliber corner is to run a few hundred rounds through of whatever you think you want to carry for ammo and see how it goes.

As for choosing ammo based on a load that won't "overpenetrate", except for maybe apartment defense, overpenetration is generally a myth. Not because bullets can't "overpenetrate", but because you would have to assume every round you send off at a BG (bad guy) or threatening animal will be on target with no misses. Where do you think misses go? I think you see my point. Not to mention that once any good JHP penetrates through and through one person, it ain't gonna have much left to harm anyone else behind the perp other than maybe a non life threatening love tap. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule especially with heavy for caliber FMJ bullets, but 99.9% of the time...

Good Shooting,
    Craig