Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is it that every so often EVERYONE has to freak out and buy soo much ammo that no one can get anything?? Sorry I'm just getting frustrated with the scarcity along with price gouging by retailers. I've been hawking ammobuy.com watching for good deals on 9mm ammo and when anything good pops up, its out of stock by the time I can add it to my shopping cart. I think reloading is in my near future!

·
1911 lover
10,358 Posts
Your just starting to buy ammo now? Or your buying more and its scare and expensive?

Many of us have been thru this sort of panic buying several times. I bought a small amount 6 months ago mostly to pass along to friends , neighbors , and my shooting students. From dealing over and over with ammo and gun shortages I have learned to stock up when things are plentiful and well priced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your just starting to buy ammo now? Or your buying more and its scare and expensive?

Many of us have been thru this sort of panic buying several times. I bought a small amount 6 months ago mostly to pass along to friends , neighbors , and my shooting students. From dealing over and over with ammo and gun shortages I have learned to stock up when things are plentiful and well priced.
I have some but not an amount I'm comfortable with. Lesson learned this time around.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I went to the local retailer this morning and got a hundred rounds of 9mm WWB NATO (my G43 loves it!) and 40 rounds of Frontier .223. About $48 was the total. The day before that I got 200 rds of CCI Standard Velocity .22 lr. I'm fixing to have a good time at the ranges tomorrow!

·
1911 lover
10,358 Posts
the so called internet gun experts have been saying to new shooters that they need 1000 rounds for each gun they buy,

expert = ex former or has been, pert (spurt) drip under pressure
What are you saying?? Your odd spurt lanquage is not working..

Do you have an issue advising 1000 rounds per gun ?? It seems a good place to me in my opinion. 500 rounds is not bad.. but with current shortages it means 500 rounds might be all your ammo for 6 months.. that does not allow much ammo to get any practice and test out the firearm.

I keep plenty of defensive ammo and some factory ammo... but generally I load my own.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The common sense trick is to buy ammo when you don't need it and there isn't a panic. Those with a stash have been buying for years. I have a certain amount of $ I put towards ammo. 2 or 3 or 5 boxes at a time adds up. Also, don't be pissy about prices. I know a lot of friends that refused to buy ammo because of increased prices. Not price gouging, they just refused to pay more because it was cheaper the last time they bought it. Rimfire is a prime example. Yeah, you could get it much cheaper in years past, but is it smart to not buy because 500 rounds is now $30 versus much cheaper before? It's still only $30 regardless what it was.

·
1911 lover
10,358 Posts
I have some but not an amount I'm comfortable with. Lesson learned this time around.
Thats why I bought 45 and 9mm ammo in march.. to pass along to friends and neighbors that were not prepared.. or in your case had given the situation thought.. and planned ahead.. but decided more would be better..

I have given out some ammo... and sold some at what it cost me.. not a cent more. Your not in the milwaukee area ??

Side note. Folks in kenosha and recently in milwaukee and madison have found they could have been way more prepared..

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Don't let the primer shortage discourage you from getting everything else you need to reload. If you have everything else you may need the primers will show up eventually.
Check out the Reloading Forum here. There is a lot of good people there. Learn as much as you can so you can start as soon as you find primers.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Why is it that every so often EVERYONE has to freak out and buy soo much ammo that no one can get anything?? Sorry I'm just getting frustrated with the scarcity along with price gouging by retailers. I've been hawking ammobuy.com watching for good deals on 9mm ammo and when anything good pops up, its out of stock by the time I can add it to my shopping cart. I think reloading is in my near future!
Why is it that NOBODY learns the lessons from every previous run on ammo/ammo shortage, fails to follow the news about record NEW gun owner purchases ((they need ammo for their new guns) then *****es on the gun forums about how they can't find ammo?? Then someone starts threads about "Start Buying Ammo NOW!":animlol: Happens over and over and over and over.........

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I think it is being shot too. I've never had a thousand rounds of anything all at once. Ammo is made to be shot. I think most Americans would agree.
I almost bought some .30-30 dies today. Maybe I should ask about that: Will a Hornady two piece rifle die set work okay with my RCBS Rock Chucker?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I went to my local sporting goods store yesterday. As I was scanning the mostly empty ammo shelve the salsewoman asked, "do you have any questions sir?" I asked if they had any 9mm which she said no. I then asked when she was expecting some. Then she really surprised me. This is what she said

"We get our ammo shipments on Fridays. Store opens at 9am. Line for ammo starts around 7am and its first come first served. I would suggest getting here at 7am."

Wow

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
The week after Trump was elected i started buying as much 9mm, 40,45 & 22 as i could afford. I remember how hard it was to find ammo when obama was in office.A close friend of mine who is very frugal only bought a few boxes.I will usually text him when i go to the range just to piss him off.He makes good money, but being cheap has really cost him.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.