9mm 1911 recommendations

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by IowaLefty, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

That would be a great recommendation if his question was "I have $3,000 to spend on a 1911, case of ammo and a training academy".

2. Willard

Willard Who, me?

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Target in 9mm. $800 new. It is terrific! Really accurate, really soft-shooting. Highly recommended.

Bren likes this.

3. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I think Springfield makes some terrific 1911s. I recommend your model to a lot of people looking to get one.

Willard likes this.
  4. esmith1721

esmith1721

1911 Colt Gold Cup National Match 9mm.jpg 1911 Colt Gold Cup National Match 9mm.jpg 10yds, GCNM.jpg
    My money would go toward a Colt Gold Cup National Match.

Gary1911A1, Willard and HAMMERHEAD like this.
  5. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

This is correct, but if you do add an ambi safety I recommend going with a Wilson bullet proof one or Nighthawks equivalent model. If you shoot left handed (I do) and ride the safety it won't take a box of ammo before the safety is really loose. I switched out the stock ambi safety on my TGO1 with the Wilson on Springfields recommendation, and Nighthawk upgraded the safety on my T3. Both are flawless now.

6. Sharkey

Sharkey

Pfft, it sounded like Ruger 1911 snobbery to me. OP stated he had 1k possibly 1.5K to spend on a 9mm 1911. I don't recall him saying he wanted an upper tier one specifically. My recommendation is sound especially since he is a lefty. Not my problem if you don't like it.

7. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Sharkey and HAMMERHEAD like this.
  8. Sharkey

Sharkey

9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

How about a Colt Lightweight Commander?
    Colt-Lightweight-Commander-Review-2016-1.jpg

10. Zero1911

Zero1911

11. stonesfan99

stonesfan99

I like the Colt Commander or Springfield EMP.

12. Johnnyvegas

Johnnyvegas

I have a Springfield Ronin Operator, and a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Changed grips on the Springfield, and it's been awesome ever since. The Colt is an amazingly accurate gun, that was poorly assembled, and finished......Fixed most of the rattles, and am working on the finish issues (I am learning to love this gun though). Never gave 9mm 1911s much thought, until I fired a buddies Ruger, they are cheap to feed, and a blast to shoot. 20200606_162221.jpg 20200103_161917.jpg

HAMMERHEAD likes this.
  13. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Mine is a Kimber Target II full size.
    Can't really recommend Kimber because mine needed the extractor and the firing pin stop replaced.
    Did it myself and it's been 100% reliable since.
    Super accurate gun, even with the trouble I prefer my 9mm 1911 to any BHP (overrated) or even the S&W PC 952.
    Doing some of my best shooting in years.

14. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. I really like the looks of that STI Staccato C 2011! Would like to find one to put some fingerprints on and check it out. Hard to find anything anywhere right now. A RIA TAC CS just came up for sale locally, so really considering trying to pick it up to get my feet wet, till more things are available. Or maybe I will decide the RIA is all I need.

15. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Whatever you decide to get, make sure it has a fully supported chamber. 9mm is a high pressure round. You don't wanna risk a case rupture. Things can go wrong, even factory ammo.

16. Phelen_Kell

Phelen_Kell

I have a Ruger SR1911 9mm lightweight commander that's fine but ever since shooting my brother's Staccato P, I think I'm going to sell my Ruger and save up for a Staccato. I might buy my brother's if I can convince him to sell it. He stuffed it in the safe when he got his Staccato C2 and has been just carrying that.

17. Ollies930

Ollies930

With your budget, I think getting the RIA to start with, is a great idea. And in a couple of months when things become available again, you might want to look at a Springfield Range Officer and just fit the ambi safety. I am a lefty, so that is important to me as well. But you will not believe the difference between RIA and Springfield. I have a RIA that was very accurate out of the box, but the slide was a little loose feeling. At the same time I handled a National Match Gold Cup and could not believe how loose that slide was, but when I picked up a Springfield Range Officer, the slide was as if on roller bearings. I will probably get flamed for this, but considering how quality the Springfield felt, I do not understand why anybody would spend more money on a Custom 1911 costing $3000-$4000. There is plenty that could be done to the Springfield to get the custom look you might be looking for, for just a few hundred dollars more. The only thing missing would be the price tag.

esmith1721 and IowaLefty like this.
  18. esmith1721

esmith1721

Have had several RO and Loaded Target in 9mm. The Loaded grouped a little better than the RO. Also have A Colt GCNM that will group half again as tight as the Springfields. 10yds, GCNM.jpg

HAMMERHEAD likes this.
  19. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

Colt Government Model, if you can find one or the Colt Competition model (retails for ~$900, I think). I'm a Colt armorer and I collect Colts so I might be prejudiced, but the Colt's feel smooth.

Way below your budget, but I also have a Rock Island Tactical that might fit your bill. I do not like their style of ambi safety and I changed it out to a RIA OE single sided. It is very accurate and I have had no malfunctions. For the price you could get one for each hand.

*EDIT:
    Sorry, I misread the original post about wanting an ambi safety. The RIA Tactical does have one. It is a weird design. The sear pin is extended and slotted and is used to hold the right side safety in place. Durable enough but kind of tricky to detail strip if you take them down that far.
    The Colt's are pretty much made on CNC machines and most of the parts that used to be fitted are usually drop in if you get Colt OEM parts, so adding a Colt ambi safety would not be huge deal.

From what I have heard the Springfield Armory Range Officer would be a very good choice as well.

A 9mm 1911 is a hoot to shoot.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Gary1911A1 likes this.
  20. porschedog

porschedog

STI SS Tactical in 9mm. Single stack 1911 happiness in 9mm. I know a guy who just got one and “he” is very happy with it.

It was apparently a safe queen but is now seeing a lot of range time. “He” is a big time 45 1911 guy so to see Me, um I mean him, so happy with the STI says a lot.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    esmith1721 likes this.