9mm 1911 for carry

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BMiracletx, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I'd look hard at the Wilson. It's magazine is based on a Walther design magazine that has been well proven and built to be a 9MM from the start. The extra rounds are a bonus too.

esmith1721, jr24 and Distant Thunder like this.
  2. dbuck47

dbuck47

My thoughts exactly. I have a long history with the the 1911. I am currently a Glock fanboy and don’t think about high $ custom guns much, but the EDC X9 has truly put lust in my heart. If I could find a loose 6K I would buy 2!

esmith1721 likes this.

3. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

EDC X9, no question.

I wouldn't carry a 1911 unless it was .45 ACP. If you don't have volume, you'd better have quality.

esmith1721 likes this.
  4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

There’s a guy with a bunch of EDC X9 mags for sale over at 1911 Addicts.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1

I like a 45acp lw commander but today if I wanted a 9mm it would be a M&P compact 4" with a thumb safety and just enough apex trigger group upgrades to get what I want . Or a p365xl all stock . I like my m&p 4.24 40 I got in a family trade when a daughter wanted a slightly smaller lighter 9mm for carry so I let her pick but the M&P has a thumb safety and apex fss trigger kit for 3lb 4oz trigger pull that I bu=ought and paid for 7 years ago . It has a trigger reset to match most tuned up 1911's . And if I had to use it and it ended up in evidence lock up for a while it would look just fine when I get it back !! As it is is a very good shooting 40sw . If I put my wifes 4.25 CORE with apex gs barrel I fit an a 6moa dot optic slide on my lower I have a safe pistol to carry a 9mm capable of 1.20" 25 yards groups shooting from a rest of course . Cost is still 1/3rd with the upgrades of the OP's choices . Hard for me the get excited over a gun brand name or looking at them .

BMiracletx Big boys and there toys , make your own choice .

6. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

If my EDC is going to be heavy, it won't be because of material used in the handgun it'll be because of round count in the handgun. Please note consideration has never happened for a 1911 in nine millimeter. 15+1 would be my choice

esmith1721 likes this.
  7. Zero1911

Zero1911

There’s only one 1911 in the OP’s photo so I’ll add another.
    Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm.
    I bought an EDC9XL not knowing that it has no grip safety. I might be old school but I’m not carrying condition one and a 3 lb trigger with no grip safety.

Pontoof likes this.
  8. jr24

jr24

Wilson, easy even though it's really not a 1911, nor does it really feel like one.

I like the higher capacity, less picky magazines and I've started appreciating not having the grip safety.

That said, both are great and both will serve anyone well.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Ed Brown. That Wilson is way too ugly.

The real answer is, if I was carrying a 1911, it would be .45 or 10mm and if I was carrying a single stack as big as either of those it would be a .45 or 10mm. If I carry a 9mm, it is because it is way smaller and lighter than either of those. No way I'd carry a 1911 in 9mm.

BMiracletx likes this.
  10. jr24

jr24

The advantage I've found for 9mm 1911s is in the smaller frame (officer, CCO) aluminum framed guns. Yes, they are still like Glock 19 size but they shoot great and smooth and fast in 9mm.

Much harder to shoot quickly with a lightweight .45 ACP 1911, and far less pleasant.

For a steel frame 1911? Right with ya, .45 or 10mm.

alwaysshootin and porschedog like this.
  11. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

And that is the benefit of the alloy frame and 15+1 of the EDC X9.... it is much lighter than the steel frame 1911s and holds essentially twice the rounds.

jr24 likes this.
  12. Zero1911

Zero1911

It’s not a 1911 though.
    If I were going to carry a clunky edc I wouldn’t spend 3K again on the X9. The Glock 19 is equally as clunky and more reliable and is 1/6th the cost.
    The DW Guardian is nice but even then I could get two Glock 48’s for the same price.
    The Guardian is nice though. I carry it as often as the G48.

13. Sharkey

Sharkey

Just btw those 2? Neither.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Zero1911 likes this.
  14. Pontoof

Pontoof

For those more refined swarees I'd pick the Ed Brown in some nice horsehide.
    It is downright elegant compared to the Wilson. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I reckon.

The Wilson might be more practical but it's ugly and way too much booty. The ambi thumb safety makes it even wider, yes? Wide-Load!

SlickCZ85 and Zero1911 like this.
  15. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

They can be had without the ambi safety. Mine is single sided.

16. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Of those two....ed brown all day. The wilson is amazing in its own right. But Ed Brown just keeps it simple without junking up the slide.

if its a 2011 youre after, Dan Wesson has their new DWX. In the 1911 flavor the Dan Wesson ECO is a tough to beat EDC in 9mm. Its also available in 45, but it is an alloy frame, so I’d be partial to a 9MM.

17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Simple? The EDC X9 has fewer parts. It’s also easier to field strip.

jr24 likes this.
  18. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Everyone says kimber pros are tough to field strip, yet I find it super easy. So “easier to field strip” is your opinion. Not to mention, I could care less how hard or easy a gun is to field strip. I just like the looks of the EB much more. The Wilson is still an amazing gun in its own right, I just like EB stuff more.

19. Dribear

Dribear

To stay on topic, ed brown

20. jr24

jr24

The EDC X9 has built a reputation of being boringly Glock 19 reliable, not the typical picky 1911 (which I, frankly, haven't experienced in any of my 1911s). My X9 will eat MORE different ammo types than my Gen 4 and 5 Glocks, and is every bit as reliable. In fact, just yesterday I had a bad primer (good dimple) on a round through my Glock. Went click twice so I tossed the bum round on the table. Later, for Lolz I popped it in the mag for my X9 and bang, shot fine. Only guns I have that I'd trust more with all ammo types and handloads than my Wilson are my Sig 226 and 228.

As for clunky? Yeah they are a bit thicker in the grip and not as svelte as a real 1911, but the rounded grip and slide profile are easier to hide than the boxy Glocks, more rounded and fewer hard straight edges to print. The Glocks lighter weight is a definite plus for carry, however (I do primarily cary a Glock 19 so I do get your point).

I also love the argument, "I'd never buy gun X when I could buy 6 gun B instead!". If I have the money and already have gun B, why the heck would I need 5 more?

If you are talking asthetically then I kind of understand, though the Ed Brown adds some cuts on that model that I don't really love either. The xtac pattern on the EDC X9 does look kinda wonky, but it is very grippy when wet and works very well. If you are talking about the external extractor (really the main difference) then, yeah, it could be a break point and does require replacement but I've found tuning 1911 extractors the #1 cause for any reliability issues if you have good mags. Pretty easy to fix I'd you know how, but it also is a problem point on the 1911 platform.

If that's the case and you must have an internal extractor (and dovetail front site, can open up a few more options for sights but is a bit tougher to replace them over the Glock like screw on the X9) there is the Experior line that gives a standard 1911 slide on the X9 double stack frame.

Finally (whew!) in regards to price, they are not truly $3000 guns if you look around. I got mine on Grabagun for $2450 and I've actually seen them in stock for this price during the pandemic, and my local shops were able to source them for $2600 and $2700 when I asked. I got impatient at the time and went online.

I will say the finish on the EDC X9 isn't super tough, mine started wearing pretty much right away, and finding holsters for the railed version is problematic, both advantages for the Ed Brown.

Both are great, I'd say the Brown will be easier to conceal by a good bit, but that depends so much on holster, clothing and body type.

Oh, also, I can't recall if I said this already but if you really want a gun to feel like a 1911 in your hand, get the 1911. The Wilson feels really nice, IMO, but doesn't feel like a 1911. Can't get as high into the beaver tail and the grip feels more like a Sig than a 1911.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    BMiracletx and Gary1911A1 like this.