close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm 147gr lead recipes...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dancinzen, Mar 16, 2010.

1. dancinzen

dancinzen

hello, just picked up my glock 19, put a spanking new kkm barrel, bought a crap load of brass, 4 pounds of alliant power pistol powder, 5000 cci primers, and 1000 hard lead 147 grainers from http://www.uniqueprecisionbullets.com/ . now my question is how do i load lead? lol... can i get away with not crimping due to the lead being to soft to crimp? do i follow the ballistics of jacketed bullets?

anyone ever loaded with the components i have? any recommendations? any directions you can point me in to get started will be greatly appreciated... thank you.

2. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

You will want to put a taper crimp on your rounds. Sorry I can't give you any receipes as I use VV320, or titegroup

3. fredj338

fredj338

I use Unique, WSF or W231 w/ 147gr. You'll need to bell the case mouth sufficiently to avoid shaving the bass (bad for accuracy), then follow up w/ a taper crimp to just run the case mouth back, very little actual crimp into the lead bullet. PP porbably works, just not fond of the blast.

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

I'm not sure how to interpret your question. You do NOT use the same powder charges for lead that you will find for similar weight jacketed bullets. And, while lead can be driven to similar velocities as jacketed bullets, it takes a very hard bullet to do so and carefully crafted recipes.

You need to find some recipes specific to your powder and LEAD bullet combination. If Alliant doesn't list them on their website, give them a call.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. dancinzen

dancinzen

6. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Read the directions that came with your dies. I use a seperate die for all my crimping, like the one you listed above.

7. 45/70 marlin

45/70 marlin

I use 4.5 grains of Power Pistol with a 147 grain lead rnfp.Normally use Federal primers.This load is accurate and duplicates my self defense loads.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Power Pistol and that basic type of Bullet is in your Lyman manual.

9. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

:agree:

Best