9mm 147 grain Ranger Bonded vs 147 Gold Dot

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by lyesoap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. lyesoap

lyesoap

Because my order of 147 grain ranger t's is probably going to take a while, I was forced into purchasing 147 grain Gold Dots for the time being. However, I also came across two boxes of the Ranger Bonded in 147 grain. Is there any major reason to use the Ranger Bonded over the Gold Dots? I saw the one video of the Ranger Bonded, but I'm skeptical about a one shot test. Anyone have a review about the Ranger Bonded?

2. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

Flip a coin, pick one, load the mags, chamber round and sleep well at night.

3. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Both are very good ammo, and I would trust my life with both. If given the choice (and I have), I would pick Gold Dot over Winchester by a narrow margin only because I have not ever heard of a Gold Dot not mushrooming out beautifully under normal conditions. I don't know enough about Winchester bonded to make the same conclusion.

4. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

both are good choices, unless you can get your hands on some HST at the same time.

5. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

I would love to try some HST...if I could ever find some.

Maybe in three years when "The Palin-ator" becomes President...:whistling:

6. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Beware of the "Z" product on the internet. This is ammo that failed Winchester's quality control for LE.

7. lyesoap

lyesoap

How do you know which is the "z" product?

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

When you receive it, then you get the pleasure of paying for return shipping... I think Betyourlife and Warp got some... search here in CC on their names it should pop up.

I don't particularly like buying ammo I can't see. Unless its something I know, beyond doubt, what I'm getting. Speer's Gold Dot, you know what you're getting. Ranger.. Well, it's gonna be whatever the retailer thought he was advertising. Could be the Ranger T, could be the Ranger SXT, could be Z, etc... To much headache.

Find something local would be my suggestion, Gold Dot, the Winchester PDX1 is everywhere here(Wal Mart, gun shops, ranges, etc..). It's more or less a bonded Ranger/Black Talon.. It's had some impressive jello shoots.

I personally think HST's are over rated... I'm sure the fanboys are tossing in their sleep right now, because they've heard someone doesn't like the HST, but I can handle it.. :). Not really a knock on the HST's though, I think all handgun JHP's are over rated. They all suck. Federal has just done some brilliant marketing w/ the HST.

IGF

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

The boxes need to be marked with "ZRA9SXTC".

I believe that is the correct marking. Prior to actually paying for this, send an email and get it in writing. Ask if this is in fact ZRA9SXTC. They will either say "Yes" or "No". When you get your ammo, you'll have it in writing so that will cover you a bit more.

From my understanding with this ammunition, it failed in some way shape or form and could not pas QC at Winchester. Now, me personally, I would not use anything that could not pass a QC/QA check. It ain't worth the money or a life.

10. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

But, but, but, but...The HST expands so robustly and into a beautiful flower of death!

:tongueout:

11. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

I'm no longer a fan of HST both regular and +P in the 45. In +P it has been the most difficult to feed in my FNP45, and HKUSP, but seems Ok in my G21.The +P is hot with a lot of recoil, and I don't like the wide sharp hollowpoint. I do not want a 45 to overexpand!

I like 45 230fmj Rn and FP, 230XTP, 230PDX1 bonded, and RemGS230bonded. Shot placement with deep penetration in a large controllable caliber is the best formula for good stopping power.

12. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Ranger Bonded seconds are marked ZRA9B.

13. lyesoap

lyesoap

Well, the stuff I bought has no "z" markings. Its seems to be a little tarnished, but I read thats normal with this ammo. It also has an odd cavity. Its about 3/4 as deep as the gold dots, but it has a strange star pattern inside the hole, with a really small hole in the middle of that.

14. BadAndy

BadAndy

They put a small amount of C4 and a tiny detonator in that small hole to help expansion if the bullet doesn't expand like it's supposed to.

15. hotpig

Sounds like the second generation bonded. They will replace it with the third generation BDX1 bullet hopefully this year. They already have moved to the third generation in the other calibers.

16. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Hotpig, care to express an opinion of the 'Z' rounds from Winny? It's tempting when you see a thousand for $379. Are they really as inconsistent as some posters here have complained?

17. hotpig

It varies as to why Winchester second them out. Some is just cosmetic and others are contract ammo with nothing wrong with them.

I have been shooting the ugly funky looking ZRA9B as practice ammo for a year now. It all shoots as well as I can and there has been no function issues in any of my pistols or carbines. Same with the 147+P ZQ load.

I also have some ZRA223M that came in the USA 7.62X39 box. It shoots just as well as the RA223M. Also the ZRA1200 seems to be ok but I have not shot much of it.

I have heard the ZQ3302 223 55gr frangible has some inconsistency problems and I have skipped buying any ZQ4368 40S&W Ranger 135gr JHP because I do not want any.