close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

91/30, 91/59, M-38 Rifling

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by pascal, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    Maybe someone can help. The rifling of the above mentioned rifles are not the same, if what I've gleaned is correct. The 1891, 91/30 and possibly the 91/59 were if I read correctly were designed for the heavier bullets, like the 203 grain.
    While the M-38 and probably the M-44 with the shorter barrels were set up for the lighter 148 grain loads. Can anyone confirm this or point me to where I can find it out? Thanks in advance.
    pascal

2. thisaway

thisaway

I have a M1891 and a M91/30 and both seem to shoot better with the lighter bullets for me. FWIW, I tried some Wolf 200-gr. rounds in both rifles and they just didn't group as well as the 148-gr. milsurp.

3. vafish

vafish

I don't know the answer to your question, and my guess is that with the time frame the MN's were made from 1891 to 1955 there are probably lots of variations in the rifles barrels and since some were arsenal refinished from 91/30's to M44's there is not one answer to your question.

One thing to remember when looking at rifling rates and bullet weight.

Within reason, it is much worse to under stabilize then to over stabilize.

So if you have a barrel optimized for the longer 200 gr bullet it will still shoot the 147 gr bullet pretty well. Compared to if you have a barrel optimized to shoot a 147 gr bullet it will not stabilize a 200 gr bullet and accuracy will suffer.

Asking on the Mosin Nagant Forums would probably get you an answer quickly.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/

http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?board=1.0

http://www.mosinnagant.net/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. fowler

fowler

The russian barrels are about all the same twist and chamber. The Finns are the ones who worked with the lead in the chambers for the heavy ball to relieve pressure. The Finns made the best barrels VKT,Sako etc. Counter-bore in the muzzle and barrel wear affect accuracy. But some re-crowns will shoot very good. A good crown will shoot better. I have shot some Finn captures that were re-crowned and shot 2.5" MOA. The Finns made the best barrels. I have a 1942 Tula 91-30 with mint barrel and crown that shoots 2.5" MOA with Chinese 1970 era ball. brass cased copper steel ball. The M39 Finns shoot superb with great trigger pulls.

5. pascal

pascal

Thank you Gentlemen for your response and advice. Will try those sites.
    Shoot straight.
    pascal

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The finnish rifles are set up for the D166 bullet which is 200 grains. The standard M91/30 fires a 174 grain heavy ball or a 147 grain light ball projectile. The finnish D round is very accurate. Rifles that have been modified for it have a D on the barrel shank.