90gr Solid Copper Bullets (shaped like an 'X')

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robhic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry....

With bullets and EVERYTHING being somewhat hard to come by I saw some of those light, all copper bullets shaped like an 'X' and got some to try. Supposed to give increased fluid transfer and penetrate well. Anybody tried these? I'm curious as this bullet looks like it could be very lethal. I have a friend who shoots Nutria (big, southern version of a rat) as the wildlife and fisheries department give a $5 bounty per tail (yes that is grotesque!!!) because the Nutria are destructive and weaken the banks of rivers and canals burrowing. The Sheriff's dept also had a team out for a while with a guy riding in a pickup bed with a .22 rifle and night scope to assassinate the critters for a while.

They videoed some and that was amusing to watch cops riding around in a truck along the streets popping Nutria! My friend usually uses his Ruger MkIII .22lr pistol to do the same. But he owns a parcel of land in a marsh where he hunts wild pigs and such and thought these unusual bullets might be cool to try. I told him if he got some I'd load 'em for him to use in his 9mm pistol(s) mainly for the pigs. The Nutria get dead pretty easily with just the .22. Anybody got some experience loading or using these bullets? Looks like if they work as well as they're supposed to there should be a lotta dead pigs around his land ... more for the alligators to eat!

DubfromGA likes this.
  2. GlockCanMan

GlockCanMan

3. robhic

4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

$5 a tail??? I got a measly 25 cents/groundhog tail when I was 16. Of course, that was at the turn of the previous century when 2 bits went a little further. Made $1 some days. Used my Dad's .22/410 over and under - no fancy bullets then! My Dad gave me the ammo. :cool:

DubfromGA and Abrass like this.
  5. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I had to google nutria. Had this picture in my head of his friend shooting at granola bars or some diet drink.

DubfromGA and Abrass like this.
  6. robhic

The whole thing is too repellant for me to think about. :confused: But my friend has made hundreds of dollars from those Nutria tails. It is a good money-maker for him and he uses a Ruger .22lr pistol so his costs are negligible. The hogs, too (no .22s there). I'm wondering if these new bullets will make a difference. They tout penetration and wound-channel along with other factors that could bode well if true. He likes/uses 9mm HP and they do the trick. I'm curious if these new-fangled bullets will be same or better.

SARDG likes this.
  7. robhic

Maybe "Nutella" spread? ;)

Collo Rosso likes this.
  8. Corey043

Corey043

I have seen a guy shot with them, among other bullet types who is no longer with us. Some in the head, which either broke up or remained whole. Cant say how they really did though.

Corey

robhic likes this.
  9. GlockCanMan

GlockCanMan

Never tried to purchase them. My guess is that you would have to go to the manufacturer. I believe that they are also made out of copper also.

10. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Must be the Lehigh Defense 'fluid transfer' bullet. (Phillips head)
    I would think they would be an excellent choice for the nutria and small pigs.

Wyodeacon likes this.
  11. robhic

The "Inceptor" brand (I think) bullets I purchased from Midway and are supposed to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). My boy wants to try them, I am curious about loading them and also to see how he likes them when he gets to shoot them. 90gr bullet should be fun to play around with different loads.

12. robhic

Yes, that's the name of the bullet. I guess I'll get a first-hand report when he uses them. Nutria are dispatched pretty easily with .22lr but the small (and not so small) pigs should be interesting. Thanks.

13. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Some good vids on utube with those bullets

robhic likes this.
  14. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Now you have me wondering how they'd play in a .38 Super. :)

15. nerr

nerr

Interested as I have some Lehigh Defense 9mm fluted bullets, which I have not loaded yet. I have shot Novx ammo, which has a fluted bullet which is a poly/copper composite of some kind. Shot ok, but I've only shot at paper targets. FYI: the NAS3 cases of the Novx ammo are different. NOT reloadable with normal dies, though someone at least used to make some spring loaded special dies to reaload them.

16. robhic

They just arrived (got them from Midway) and look kinda cool. Solid copper with the base/shank of the bullet round like any other but it transitions to the 'X' or cross shape so the bullet looks like it should be LETHAL! I gotta make some up (5.5gr W231) and am going to get his 9mm to use for the 'plunk test' as this is the first time I'm loading this bullet. I'm really curious....

HAMMERHEAD likes this.
  17. robhic

I used 3-4 sources for loading data. Fairly large disparity for 90gr bullets of different types. I went with the low side (5.1gr) to start. The highest was 5.5gr which I think could be too hot. These Lehigh Defense bullets are solid copper so I used FMJ data. I made 10 ea 5.1gn and 5.2gn to start. Now I just have to wait for my boy to go to his lease, find some pigs and - like Chuck Norris - go killin'. ;) If they're not hot enough I've got plenty room to increase. Using W231.

HAMMERHEAD likes this.
  18. Wyodeacon

Wyodeacon

I can't help but wonder if the neighbor next door would be safe if you have an intruder. I'm assuming the don't mushroom.

19. robhic

Wonder no more! I don't plan on loading them for myself. I have .45acp, .45LC and shot shells here. I only made the Lehigh defense rounds for my friend because he wanted to try them for hunting use. I don't need it.