90 series

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by MNBud, Mar 18, 2020.

1. MNBud

MNBud

Can anyone steer me to a video on the disassembly of a 90 series 1911. The particular one I’m having issues with is 10MM but I don’t think that should matter.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

You have a Double Eagle?

3. MNBud

MNBud

Yes,I believe that is what it is. A little background- I am a retired machinist working at a gun shop and mainly we get gun cleanings and sight replacements but I have worked on many series 70 and 80 1911’s. I have been given the option of turning down anything I don’t feel comfortable working on.
    This pistol just appeared to be a challenge.
    The firing pin is there and in good condition, however the small lever/ bar on the top of the frame on the right side which I believe should be spring loaded is just laying down in its slot, it is free to move but doesn’t pop up which is what I believe is what it should be doing .

4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

All I can say is to look it up under the name of Colt Double Eagle.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Had one for a while in 45ACP

6. Bradley T

Bradley T

I wish I could get one. I remember wanting one back in the 90's. Nice guns. You Tube probably has a lot of videos on the Double Eagle pistols. I always assumed it takes down like any Colt's; cock the hammer and undo the recoil spring, slide stop lever out, etc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Eh, not sure I’d call them nice. Fairly crude

8. MNBud

MNBud

The take down for cleaning is the same as any 70 or 80 series but my problems are in the frame disassembly, and it is totally different. This is a single action/ double action with a de-cocker.
    No, you tube has no videos on the frame dissemble, Brownells doesn't have a schematic either.

9. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

There is a schematic at this link. Think you may be able to enlarge it and maybe of some help i hope.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/12/27/series-90-the-short-lived-colt-double-eagle

[​IMG]

Gary1911A1 likes this.
  10. MNBud

MNBud

Thanks Fullclip for the link, I'm still up in the air about digging into this one as I'm not certain I will be able to find a replacement part once I find the broken part.
    Looks like part #15 is what has lost tension.

FullClip likes this.
  11. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I don't believe that part #15 is spring loaded. That's part of the firing pin disconnect. When the grip safety is activated by gripping the pistol part #15 rotates and pushes on part #32 to free up the firing pin. I'm going off of memory here so I could easily be wrong. I took those parts of my Delta Elite a long time ago.

12. FullClip

Nothing about the gun, but what boat did you get yer dolphins on? SSBN 633 gold crew here.

MNBud likes this.
  13. MNBud

MNBud

SSBN 622 seven patrols on the James Monroe, also gold crew.
    69 to 73 out of Pearl Harbor.
    As a side note, I grew up in Portland/ South Portland, parents had a cabin on Sebago Lake when they were older.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    FullClip likes this.
  14. FullClip

Ha-Ha...Sebego was nice back then. Now the whole south-east corner of Maine is hard to tell apart from Massachusetts. Portland has taken off and is basically North Boston now. I'm east of Bangor and so far safe from the moon-bats in the most part.

15. MNBud

MNBud

The pistol is at the shop,so I’m not certain,but I thought this didn’t have a palm safety as I said earlier, this is not my pistol.

16. Iron bottom

Iron bottom

What nam02G said. Probably like the Series 80. And no spring.

I have a Double Eagle in 10mm. I have taken it apart completely. Unusually easy compared with other Colts. The best double action trigger I have from a firearms company.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  17. MNBud

MNBud

The boss decided to return it to the owner, we determined that parts were so scarce, we probably couldn't fix it if we found the problem.

18. dakota1911

dakota1911

I have one I bought used years ago. It is an Officers model. Has the top end of an Officers ACP but the bottom uses a full length mag. Mine is a used police gun I bought from a LGS for a little over $400. One reason I bought it is for spare parts. Colt made a couple I am more interested in like one with the 5 inch slide and adjustable sights like a Gold Cup. Some of the parts are the same as other Colts and some are different and very hard to find.

[​IMG]

I do know before the MkII if you took off the grips a spring or two would pop out at you. Also these have now become a lot more collectible so the prices have gone up on them.

And to add to the confusion Colt decided to call the Defender a "Series 90" when they came out with it although it is all Series 80 in the guts. Below my 2002 where I did replace the grips.

[​IMG]