9 year old is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to school

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nicko, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Sorry Drew, didn't see a thread on this in carry already. Shoulda did a better search.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...g_at_a_lack_of_common_sense_as_son_buste.html

Hit the poll in the link above.

An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable," said Laura Timoney, 44, after her teary fourth-grader was nearly suspended for playing with the tiny toy at lunch.

"The school should be embarrassed. This is a common-sense issue."

Patrick Timoney, 9, was terrified when he was yanked into the principal's office to discuss the teeny-weeny plastic "weapon."

"The gun was so little," the boy said. "I don't understand why the principal got so upset. I was a little nervous. They made me sign a statement."

Patrick and a friend were playing with Lego figures in the school cafeteria on Tuesday when he pulled out the faux machine gun and stuck it in the hands of his plastic police officer.

Boom! Trouble ensued, with Patrick's mom getting a phone call from Public School 52 Principal Evelyn Mastroianni saying her son had somehow gone from straight A's to the NRA.

"I was in disbelief," the still-fuming mother said. "Why didn't anyone step up with an ounce of common sense and put an end to the harassment of my child?"

Timoney said her boy loved the toy figure because her husband is a retired police officer.

The elder Patrick Timoney, a former 72nd Precinct cop, couldn't believe his son was nearly busted over something so obviously inauthentic.

"It's a 2-inch gun," he said. "She went overboard. She should have said, 'Put the toys away,' and that would have been the end of it."

After a meeting between the principal and the parents, the boy was spared any disciplinary action. City school officials said Patrick agreed to leave the "gun" at home.

"I'm never bringing a toy to school again," said Patrick, whose favorite subject is math.

Laura Timoney remained upset. Her son, a typically eager student, asked to stay home yesterday because he thought the principal was mad at him.

The mother said she expects an apology and may sue.

"The toy gun is not the issue," she said. "A lack of common sense is the issue."

Several parents at the school felt the principal overreacted, including Kim O'Rieley - whose son was playing with Patrick in the cafeteria.

Her boy's Lego man was toting a tiny ax, which the principal deemed less threatening.

"It's ridiculous," said O'Rieley, 36. "He felt so bad for his friend. They're taking things way too far ... No one is saying guns are okay.

"Come on, it's a Lego."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._common_sense_as_son_buste.html#ixzz0ecQMbA4U

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. bno762

bno762

Geez...thats ridiculous. Seriously I don't know what to say... We used to fold paper into makeshift guns when I was at work last night....I mean when I was in elementary school. And if you were talented you could put together a really cool one that you could rack the slide on. It took prolly 10 peices of paper and alot of time but recess was awesome. When I first read the thread I was thinking as 2 inch cap gun or something...but this was one of those tiny guns for a little actiopn figure!

3. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

93% so far, saying this was outrageous action on the part of the principal.

4. goldenlight

goldenlight

I wish I had saved the article about the little girl who was suspended because she had a key chain in school.

Literally, a 3" long keychain, with keys on it. The kind with the little round balls linked together. They were common about 40 years ago. They have been replaced by split rings, for the most part, since the little chains will eventually break, if they have many keys on them, or are used daily.

The school she goes to specifically ban chains, so she was treated the same as if it was a 3 FOOT long piece of heavy link chain.

So many schools, so few brains... among the administrators...:steamed:

5. shooter9696

shooter9696

I'm guessing this was one of those stupid "zero tolerance policy" things.

I'm sure that principal was just scared for her life. I mean c'mon, that gun's like part AK, part AR, with a 30 round mag and what looks like a nice optic. That kid coulda messed **** up!

6. silentpoet

silentpoet

0 tolerance is named after the IQ of those who wrote the policy. The principle should be fired and the school board who wrote the policy should be executed.