Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mas. As always, great job here in the forum! I've used a Gen 2 Glock 17 for close to 20 years now, loaded with 124 gr. Golden Saber JHP for the last several years. While I'm more than happy with that, it was "suggested" that I upgrade to a .40 S&W for compatibility when working with local officers. So I finally found a Gen 2 in .40 S&W. Now, what load is going to be most like my 9mm for recoil and such while shooting? I've been training with the 180-gr. stuff and notice a slight, yet noticeable, difference in the way the gun handles when shooting. It's a minor issue, I know, but I'd like to transfer as much of my memory control as I can instead of learning new stuff.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,914 Posts
David, it's my experience that the lightest kicking readily available .40 S&W is the 165 grain subsonic, the load some FBI agents nicknamed the "minus-P" back when it was issued to them. Hard to tell from a hot 9mm +P. Wouldn't be my first choice as a carry load, though. The 165 grain .40 JHP is a very good load when honked up to its full velocity (around 1140 fps), but distinctly snappier in recoil than the 180 grain subsonic.

Best,
Mas

·
Banned
8,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I figured I'd have to bring up the "oomph" factor , but I was hoping you might have something in your bag of tricks. Oh well, range time learning a new gun and load is usually an enjoyable activity any way!

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,914 Posts
Of course, you can always check in at Caliber Corner and General Competition, and on the ESP and SSP fora at www.idpaforum.com. Some of the IDPA shooters have made an art and science of getting down around 125000 power factor with .40 S&W loads.

best,
Mas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts