Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will reload 9mm 124gr plated Round Nose using Tightgroup powder what would be the starting load and OAL that best work for Glock 17 Gen 4..thanks

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
You should really buy a few manuals and get the data from them. A simple typo could result in you loosing a finger because of a KB.

·
Gone Shooting!
1,737 Posts
Hi, I will reload 9mm 124gr plated Round Nose using Tightgroup powder what would be the starting load and OAL that best work for Glock 17 Gen 4..thanks
3.6gr to 3.8gr of Titegroup behind a 124gr plated bullet with an OAL of 1.100" to 1.125" will be a good starting point. You will certainly want to chronograph this load in your pistol and refine your load.

Welcome to the Forum! :wavey:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i love Titegroup with 124gr RN plated.....it's my standard powder for that round. I've worked up to 4.0-4.1 gr with a 1.13 OAL. Easy to shoot, accurate, and economical. Bear in mind...I said "worked up" to that load.....definetly start lower......get a manual or two.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
I am not even sure if 3.6 would cycle a G17. I would try something a tad higher myself.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I am not even sure if 3.6 would cycle a G17. I would try something a tad higher myself.
I agree. That's another problem with a newbie asking for data on a forum. People tend to lighten the load and say things like, make sure you use a chrono:supergrin: I'm willing to wager if he doesn't have a reloading manual, then he may not have a chrono yet.:whistling:

Cysoto, I'm just busting your balls, I mean no ill:supergrin:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I load 4.0 grains with a plated 124gr RN and it works well, very low recoil. I've gone up to 4.4gr(listed max) with no problems. The COL I use is 1.142.

·
Gone Shooting!
1,737 Posts
Is is true that the OP could benefit from purchasing a Reloading Manual or ten. Then again it is also true that he can just visit www.hodgdon.com and view their load data recommendations for Titegroup for free...

Though he may not have a chronograph of his own, I am certain that there has got to be someone that he knows that does and will be happy to let him use it.

I have shot 3.6gr of TG behind Berry's Bullets and I assure you that it will fully cycle the slide with the OEM recoil spring installed. I needed to bump up the load to 3.8gr to make PF when I switched to Precision Delta JHP bullets.

I began working this load with an OAL of 1.125", but later discovered that by reducing the OAL to 1.100" I obtained better accuracy out of my gun.

I'm not busting your manhood either Chris, I'm just stating the facts... :supergrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
I hear Gen 4 don't cycle the slide well with lighter loads. I would use a slower powder and get at least a mid level charge behind it. 231 or even better would be Power Pistol or something around that speed. Anything but Unique. Unique makes you age faster and causes divorce.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you guys... I have learned a lot! I will try different load and start low..cheers!!

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
Then again it is also true that he can just visit www.hodgdon.com and view their load data recommendations for Titegroup for free...
125 GR. SIE FMJ Titegroup .355" 1.090" 4.1 1069 27,300 CUP 4.4 1136 30,600 CUP
Wow my G17 load is on their website.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
guys, say more about the overall length and accuracy.
on one hand, the advice is to load as long as possible
yet many of the OALs mentioned here are less than I've ever gone
but, I'm very interested in accuracy
not sure how I could tell if I got better accuracy given my type of shooting
given I'm talking about shooting Glocks here.

Hopefully, I can get some good advice here and not let this devolve off topic to the question. It is genuine.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Hopefully, I can get some good advice here and not let this devolve off topic to the question. It is genuine.
Just remember as some have stated above. Get a good manual and chrono your loads. There are too many factors to make one recipe for everyone. OAL, Bullet weight, type of barrel, length of barrel all affect this. This goes for accuracy as well. You may find that a different OAL works best for you.

That is the fun about it. Just log all of your variables (including accuracy) then you can go to the range and have fun testing out all of the different cartriges you made - then select the best one for your needs. Simple:wow:

·
Registered
35,930 Posts

Loading to the longest OAL possible is a safety issue, especially when working w/ bullets you have no exact data for. I have never found loading longer or shorter to really affect handgun accuracy, at least at normal distance out to say 50yds. You just want to make sure the rounds fit the mag & cycle & not jamb into the rifling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just came from gun range and I am here to report the outcomes, I started low with 3.6 gn titegroup with 1.100 oal, would not cycle on my Glock 17 gen ... 4.2 grains of Titegroup @ 1.1" OAL works perfectly..thank you guys!!:wavey:

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
Good to hear.

Just remember to be careful of double loads. Tight group takes so little volume in a case it can be easy to do and not notice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts