8pt./6pt,/33

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

OK OK, I know, this thread is no good without pics!
    Well, I don't have pics, 'or' a PC that would even know what they are, but, i "got a deer/turkey story anyway." ;f

After guiding people for so 'very long,' i decided to forget it for the first part of this year, and get something 'for myself.' So, here we go.

Friday morning i went out behind the ranch house at the bottom of our 'rear most canyon rim,' and got to the edge of a 25 acre meadow, (that my brother plowed up, and was 'supposed to have planted' months ago and "did not"), so, it has various little grasses and weeds there. At the far corner of this meadow is an old junky lookin box, that was once up on a tower frame, as a deer stand. My brother pushed it off a few years ago for some weird reason and it just lays on the ground, "in a heap."

I decided to crawl in this little box, and sleep, uh, i mean hunt!
    So, after 20 minutes or so, in the slight mist, and breeze, the sun began to bring the light on everything.

I heard what sounded like B47's and F15's coming over my head one after another.....'Knowing' they were turkeys, i thought well, maybe not a buck today, but at least a bird. They landed in the plowed field about 50 feet from my little "crumpled up busted up box," i was in.

I started counting, and i landed on 33, since they were moving around so much it was a hard count. I pulled the Glock G20 10mm out of a holster with velcro on it, and when the velcro went craaaaaaack, ALL the turkeys 'came towards my little box,' (guys you gotta understand, this box looks like a hummer ran over it) !

Now i have these 33 turkeys standing 10/12 FEET, yes i said FEET, from the little window of the box i was in, and staring at it.

I eased the Glock ever so slow, to the little window, placed it on the "Bearded Lady," excuse me, that is a Hen with a 7" beard. ;f

I put the bead on her head and squeezed the trigger, and "CLICK."
    Yep, 'mis-fire,' from using an after market 4 # striker spring!!

They all backed up about 30 feet, and i cycled another round in real quick, that did it man, 33 heads running a cajillion directions at warp speed! I picked out one, gave some lead, "Kaboom"! Missed! :)
    (what did you exspect?) ;f

So knowing, they will all "regather" there again in 30 minutes or so, i waited and dozed. While trying to 'shift positions' in this craker box, something caught my eye, a deer, a doe, i thought. It was about 200 yds, and heading away at the fence line, BUT, then it changed its mind and jumped the fence and came into the delicious plowed field full of weeds.

So, what the heck, i was after meat anyway. I stuck the 26" barrel of my Rem. 7mm mag out the so called 'window,' in the box i was in, put the scope on 5X, and 'behold' it is an 8 point buck, and fairly nice. He was headed for the creek crossing and mesquite. I whistled, he stopped, i aimed, fired, one dead deer. So, took care of him, washed up, and drove all the way into town, to the local grease joint for breakfast!

The next morning, i went again, got back in the ole box, (great place to sleep, as long as you don't have to move, or manipulate a 26" barrel around) !

Anyway, after sqeezing in there and taking off my jacket, (that had the struggle of being in a rubber room trying to get out of a straight jacket) ! I saw a deer, the scope showed antlers, he must have heard be bumping and knocking around in there, and so he took off.

He was trotting pretty good, headed for the fence, and then he would have disapeared into the cactus/mesquite, i gave some lead, (which is very difficult to do in a craker box, and your body twisted enough to snap your spine), and i fired. "Thump," and he went down on his butt, uh oh, round two, he went down and out!

Nice 6 point! So, after all this excitment, I cleaned my deer, cleaned up myself, and headed all the way to town, to the little grease joint for a hardy breakfast!

Now, i want you to know, that if "the real tree crew" comes to the ranch to film a hunt, ( they won't ), i would like to see them do it in that stinking little box, and it would be a 'real tree comedy flick!' ;f

Well, no pics, sorry! So, i made this as "Extremely Truthful," and humorous as i could, to make up for it! ;)

I think guiding was a lot easier on my spine, but guys, you won't find me complaining here ! ;)

Hey, maybe i could start charging for a 'box hunt'! ;f

There ya go, 33/8PT./6PT. :cool:

Good hunting!

CanyonMan

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

You have to like those days of 'hard hunting' and a good breakfast. ;f

I am a serious proponent of napping. A watched pot never boils.

3. joemerchant24

joemerchant24

My hunting buddy Adam swears nothing brings the Toms in faster than my snoring under the tree next to his.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You got it man!... "Hard Hunting." ! If i take 'someone else,' we climb over canyon walls and passes, and up and down and around, and through. Whew!

But for me... That old box worked just fine! ;)

Well, i wasn't snoring 'yet,' but the sound of velcro sure surprized me, that they came on up within 10 feet. Maybe i will invent a velcro turkey call! Get your orders in now boys! ;f

CanyonMan

5. noway

noway

sleeping and hunting is a very good combo ;)

Nice job.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thank you my friend, and yes it is a good combo. Looking forward now for the jerky, and summer sausage to get done, after some of that, i will sleep with a nice 'smoke mesquite flavor' in my gut! ;)

CanyonMan

7. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

sounds like a good time to me^c

congrats on your deer;c

ive hunted the last two afternoons and havent seen anything. im thinking that the deer have been shacked up for the past 2 days in the brush. it has been pretty out though and ive been enjoying still hunting. i bought one of those camo padded cushions and all i can say is its alot more comfortable than a tree stand. too bad about the misfire, better put that factory spring back in!

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, even though you've seen nothing yet, as you said, "it's pretty out, and your enjoying it!" You'll get one, it ain't over yet! ;)

BTW... I already put that factory striker spring back in! ;f

Thanks.
    Good Hunting to ya!

CanyonMan

9. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

well the deer have been moving real well for the past 3 weeks and i hunt 2-3 days(evenings or mornings) a week and they have seemed to disappear over the past 2 days. im thinking that this correlates to the Nov 1 -Nov 20 rut window. im thinking that im experiencing the phase where the deer have paired up and are staying in the thick. it is also a full moon so i guess they are coming out after legal shooting hours the past 2 days as well. ive got 3 in the freezer and am currently seeking MR BIG only so the seasons going pretty decent.

hunting is a serious addiction;f

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You may be right about the holding up in the brush.... But, the full moon phase 'will have' an effect on your morning and evening hunt. This can effect deer movement, even in the rut, more than folks realize.

Hey, at least you are not 'deer poor,' so do some serious eating on those in the frig, and relax for a few days, then go back! ;)

Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

You got that right. A buddy of mine in KY was in his treestand yesterday. His eyes on the field and his ears on the weather radio to find out if there was a twister heading his way. All that in the hopes there was a deer as crazy as he was to be out in that mess.

Guess he was planning on netting one as the wind spun it past. :)

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

hahaha!!

i just got out of my stand and this front has been moving through all day...

i was swinging in the pines for about 2 hours;f

cant get one unless youre out there!

13. Greybeard

Greybeard

Good story.

Deer in Archer County moving a lot in the last few days, seen onesie-twosies at dawn and dusk.

Closest shot I had a couple of evenings ago was about 40 yards on a little 6-point which was hot on the trail of some white tail. She was being a real "tease" and I just enjoyed watching 'em frolicking back and forth rather than nocking up an arrow or unholstering the SBR. For the present, they seem to have something in mind other than food ...

Archer is a one-buck county and I'm holding off on using that tag too early - and trying to stick with bow or .45LC. Some turkey in the area, but they seem to have not found my feeder yet ...

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thanks!

I don't know where Archer co. Texas is at, but we are a 5 deer co. ( W. TX.), with a 2 buck limit on whitetail, for the total season, and a 1 'muledeer buck' limit, for the total season.

'Your' archery season 'offiaclly ended' on Oct 31st it looks like, so better check with the officals in your particular co. and make sure you can 'still use a bow.' Some do, and some say no.

Whatever way, gun or bow... i agree with the fact 'patients is the key!'

Now that the weather is getting a little colder here, you will probably have better hunting. ;)

Be Careful!
    Good Hunting!

CanyonMan

15. Greybeard

Greybeard

CM - Archer County is about an hour south of Wichita Falls - a little too far southeast for huntable mule deer ... :( ' Have never seen or heard about archery having to stop when regular season opens. In fact, one of TP&W's changes a few years back wuz even allowing cross bows for the "non-upper-limb-handicapped " when gun season opens. I've not resorted to that yet, but it is somewhat tempting to shuck the compound bow due to the confines of a little blind and insulated coveralls. I certainly would not to want to have to draw it while inside your "box". ;)

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, Im glad to hear you can still use your bow then...

Your a 'far piece' from these parts, but i would think up there around the OKla. border, hopefuly your deer will have better body mass.

Okla. is home for me, the N.W. Panhandle, and alot of our doe's up there, dress out heavier than the bucks do here! ;)

Good hnting to ya!
    Be careful!

CanyonMan