Home > Firearms Forums > 1911 Forums > $850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

$850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

1. Finally got a notice from the CMP that they'll be receiving 8000 surplus 1911s from uncle sam.
    $850 for rack grade, $950 for field grade and $1050 for service. They'll be auctioning off the more collectible models.
    I put my cap at $750 and think I'll stick to it. They describe rack grade as rusted, pitted with missing or cracked grips among other things.
    I really wanted one, but I feel they overpriced them.
    Anyone still going to try to get one?

2. No.
    I wasn't in the armed services, so no emotional attachment.
    History - I wasn't there.
    Remove history & emotion and what remains is a pistol that needs better sights, beavertail grip safety (minimum) - for a specimen in otherwise good condition.
    What are some 1911 alternatives for $850-1,050? (Already have acceptable sights & beavertail)
    Ruger 1911 - ~$750 (feeds various hollow point just fine, IME)
    Kimber TLE 10mm - (has night sights) I was out $858 total.
    Colt Delta Elite - about $1,100 for the new Ionbond "limited edition"

3. Would be cool if they were in decent shape, but like CDW4ME said, 850 bucks will get you a better gun elsewhere.

4. The best ones should not be over $400. They have been used and abused and rebuilt over and over since 1945. But they will sell out at any price. I just won't be a buyer.

5. I'll spend $1k for a Service Grade, but $850 for a Rack Grade? Nope.

I'll do the paperwork and send in, most because I'll just kick myself if I didn't.

Sure .. you could spend less and get more, but they wouldn't be a part of US Military history.

And to me, firearms with official DCM / CMP provenance are worth a bit more anyways.

6. I too saw the pricing for the CMP 1911’s today and was completely floored by the high price. There is the nostalgia angle to it, but those prices are out there. Unless the prices drop 30%, I don’t see one in my future. And I was really interested when I first heard about them coming available.

7. Thats a great return for the government. They paid about $25 for them and selling them for $850. I'd like to have one, but not that bad. I'll stick with my SS Range Officer and call it good.

8. I probably did overpay for my new in the box GI 1911A1, that I bought directly from our Government, when it was OUR Government.

$17 total, with a extra new magazine, delivered to the door by the Postman, in 1960.

It's gone through some changes in 58 years. :)

1911A1 Remington.JPG

9. Don't hold your breath. As previously mentioned, CMP knows these will sell out so fast, they're doing a lottery system for seeing who gets the opportunity to buy. I've got a 1911, didn't pay as much as any of those prices for it, didn't have to pass two NICS checks for the privilege of buying it, and I hardly ever shoot it. My piece of WWII history is my small carbine collection. At half the price they're asking, I might be a buyer. At these prices, I won't be part of the frenzy.

10. Am I missing something, 'cause I see mix master USGI 1911s selling on GunBroker etc for $1,200 and well over.

11. No interest in a old over priced cmp 1911 . My wifes Kimber SS cost $719 dollars new and my colt 04840wc was a bargain at $1050 new both from local general store

12. Guys ... comparing new non mil options to these guns is where one's mind goes admittedly, but IMO it's apples vs oranges

13. As citizens, CMP is selling our own property back to us for exorbitant prices. They sell them to us as a "pig in a poke" without any choice. "You put the money up and get what we give you." Pretty neat trick, I say!

During the M1 Garand heyday, I qualified for three M1 Rifles through NRA competition. I passed on those "bargains." Instead, I had two custom Garands built with Hart 6 groove Stainless Steel match barrels (parkerized) and selective fit components. The actions ran like the old Remington Wingmaster "slick as glass" actions. Each rifle cost over $1K to build, but I ended up with rifles that could win matches!

So why are these 1911 clunkers commanding high prices? Is it because the pistols could have been used in combat? Folks, you can have a H*ll of a nice 1911 pistol built for what these boat anchors cost! Try a US made Wilson Combat or an upper end STI 1911 made in Georgetown, Texas. You'll have something worth owning!

Flash

14. The CMP is it's own entity, it is no longer part of the government, like the DCM was

It has to make a profit

Don't forget, they run shooting competitions all across the country, including introducing high schoolers via their air rifle program

I'd ask folks to consider that before being sure the CMP is worthy of bashing

15. I saw the email and I'd really like one, but $850-1050 is a bit steep IMHO. As stated by others, they were cheap to begin with. $25 in 1945 is about $350 in today's world, and that was for a brand new gun. Even if I were to say they are worth double due to history, nostalgia, or whatever, $700 is about my max for a gun I'm unlikely to fire very much. That's just me though, and I'm sure these will be gone quicker than not.

16. Telling the truth is not bashing!

Prices are high.
    You buy sight unseen.
    That's like flushing your money down the toilet!

Flash

17. I cannot see paying $850 and up for something without seeing many detailed photos of the exact item.

If they want top dollar they need to provide detailed pictures. A general description is not good enough and from what I am reading I will pass.

18. IMHO the comparison ranks right up there with "I could buy five HiPoints for that much money!".

These guns are part of American history and they may have even smoked a Nazi or a Tojo. Besides that, I had a grandfather who fought in WWII and it eventually defined his existence and I don't have much to remember him by, so this kind of thing has meaning to me and I'm sure lots of others feel the same way.

That's part of why these guns will sell and sell fast.

19. Yeah, because every gun the CMP sells ends up depreciating and in a pawn shop with a $50 price tag.

20. This.

I bet the government didn’t even pay that much brand new decades ago. Why would they be twice as much or more this many years later.

I get that supply and demand is reflected in the price structure, but I thought the idea of the CMP was to get surplus weapons into the hands of citizens at discounted prices.

Really these are our weapons, we paid for them once already. The least they could do is sell them back to us at rock bottom prices.

21. We call this the free enterprise system. If you don't want one at that price, somebody else does. I don't expect the CMP to offer bargains on anything. Why should they?
    This isn't like gasoline or rx drugs. Hardly anybody actually "needs" a govt issue 1911. Its not price gouging. Its capitalism.

22. Good point. Nothing is a sure thing, but appreciate wise, these are pretty safe places to stash some money.

23. No, they do not. Sights are adequate with practice, beavertails are for people with poor grip technique.

Mine is stock original and I have yet to get hammer bite. Now if you want a commander style hammer, that I can see.

24. $850 is pretty high for a "Rack Grade" 1911. But since I shot a Rack Grade 1911 on the Marksmanship Team for the Oklahoma Army National Guard and carried one in Panama after Just Cause and carried one during Desert Shield/Desert Storm, I'll buy one. My 1911 was a Singer build and always got looks at different shooting events. Probably try for a Service Grade and maybe check out the items in auction.

Firearm sales is how CMP is funded, so I don't mind spending the money supporting them.

25. I will say I was at Camp Perry last month and they had International Harvester garands there for $1200. They were in beautiful shape. To me that's a fair price for American history. Plus I get to hand pick the one I want out of the lineup.

26. That's what I was just thinking - those prices are probably lower than the Gun Trader's Guide lists.

27. Had hoped to get a 1911 at a good price. Money is tight on disability making me more of a collector than shooter lately.

An old, used weapon, it's history unknown, top dollar, sight unseen? Nothing for me here.

CMP does nothing for me. I'll wait till one shows up at the pawn shop.

28. Yep, I share the same feeling

29. <<<I have two CMP M1 rifles and two M1 carbines that would disagree.

30. That said, the price is a bit steep for me, regardless of history.

31. If you are content with tiny sights and the regular grip safety works for you, good for you.

In the early 1990's I had a Delta Elite and a series 70 Commander, neither had a beavertail and both were punishing to the web of my hand.
    I currently have several 1911's (including a Delta) all have beavertail grip safetys and I have no discomfort shooting them, all have decent sights too.

Given that most current offerings by various 1911 makers (Ruger, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown) have sights better than the tiny originals and a beavertail grip saftey, I am in the majority with my preference.

32. My LGS had an Ithaca for $3000 and a Remington Rand $2000. Both in good shape and they were gone in a week. It has been a long time since a 'fair' 1911A1 was $750 but I remember 40 years ago you could get a nice 'bring back' for $50 to $100 cash.

33. When I was in the Marines we had the 1911A1 and 50% of the boots had hammer bite and 50% did not. It is all about the grip. :drillsgt:

34. I'm glad that some of these old guns are making it into the hands of people that will enjoy them rather than being destroyed. With only 8000 being offered, I'd guess that they all will find a home. Hopefully the government will release more at a later date.

I'm not really a collector of military surplus guns. I do feel some nostalgia for these pistols as I carried a few of them as an Army MP 30+ years ago. Even tho I don't want one, I don't begrudge the CMP using supply and demand. There will be many happy "new" owners.

35. What sort of idiot is comparing these warhorses to modern production guns?

These guns aren’t plentiful any more. If you want a piece of American military history then buy one. If not then buy some Dan Wesson or Kimber junks.

There will be plenty of GIs, myself included, buying up these guns that we once cut our teeth on and/or took to war.

36. I know, thank you for being direct where I was being polite.

37. I’m going to put paperwork in for a field grade version.

Hopefully it rattles the way my old Slabside rattled.

No silly ass undercut trigger guard, beaver tail safety, extended whatchamacallits. Just the way Uncle Sam issued out

[​IMG]

38. Lookin' good. At this point, you don't put in paperwork for any grade, you simply submit paperwork and hope that your number is pulled as one of the lucky ones. Then, they tell you what grades are still available, then you can pick. I'm in. Oh, and as my WWII Vet Dad, a Navy Corpsman taught me to say ... "Thank you for your service keeping us naive and unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from tyranny and evil."

39. I got out of the military in 75 and I never carried or shot a Government 1911 during my enlistment so I don't have the connection that some of you have to these 1911s especially at that price. So I won't be adding one to my collection.

40. A quick scan of GunBroker will tell you the CMP prices are actually well below market value. They will sell all 8000 extremely fast.

41. While I get that these aren't everybody's thing, I agree they will have far more applicants than guns for this year's allotment. I think there's something like 100k available in total. That will keep prices down for some time, but there still will be plenty of buyers with more money than patience that will pay the $100 to $200 premium to have one now, buying it from someone that was "flipping" their CMP gun

42. I'm glad to see there is a big demand for USGI .45s. It does not sound like this new supply will flood the market and lower prices.

43. For $850 smackers just to get a clapped out model? Nah, for that kind of scratch I can have a brand new Kimber or Springfield, or TWO Rock Islands, all of which I'll have a serious fun time shooting.
    And the CMP did once upon a time offer amazing "deals" over "capitalist profiteering." I bought my first M1 Garand after competing in a high power match for the astounding price of $167 delivered to my front door at a time when I shelled out $575 for my first H&K-91...so I'd call that M1 Garand price a deal....
    In recent years CMP prices seem to have crept up and up, relying on people's perception of what the gun represents rather than what the gun is. For this reason I opted to buy a brand new, "new manufacture" Inland M1 Carbine over a half-clapped out CMP version, or somebody else's vastly overpriced version, because for the money I got a brand new, beautiful rifle I can actually enjoy shooting.
    So while it's true that when the numbers are so limited and highly pre-hyped, no matter how many of us opt not to buy, there will still be plenty who'll pay the asking price - some for nostalgic reasons, others because they think they're buying a collector's item that will sell for 1.6 million dollars in a few years...of course, the "next big thing" will be the introduction by somebody of an authentic "new manufacture" 1911 that is EXACTLY like the original production model in every respect....

44. My interest at this time would be strictly in WWI to WWII models and specifically Colt. Unless they've got a Singer they want to unload. I believe these most likely to be WWII and later. Many of the "laters" were simply refurb WWII models. Anything built after 1945 would be less desirable for me at this time. Under this program, I could end up with just about anything, which for me, could end up being nothing. For my current interest, I would be better off paying double the price to get exactly what I want.

45. There was no new production after 1945. That was it. In WWI they stopped production in 1919 and then made 10,000 in 1924. Next batch was 1937 and they made few until the early 1940's.

Releasing 1911s to the public is a good thing no matter what condition or cost. The more available the better.

Did anyone here really think the Government would sell complete functioning 1911s to the public ever again?

46. The history loving side of me will throw my hat in the ring, thinking about my dad in Korea and various relatives in WWII. Then, take it out once a year and shoot a clip or three.

The pragmatic side of me says buy a Ruger or, for a tad more, a Sig 1911, and shoot the living hell out of it. Hmmm, another FNP Tactical with threaded barrel? Suddenly the pragmatic side of me is winning! Life is good.

47. Yep, it's a piece of US military history, and I'd like a slice please.

I get that some people are strictly cost vs other options available, but I'm sure all these will sell out and make their new owners quite happy. I'm not thinking of this as a range or SD gun, but something to make me smile at the range a couple / few times a year, and to keep in the family.

48. :aodnsb:

49. Well I think I'll pass. Shot and carried them while in the military. Was not impressed with them then and certainly not now at this price point. I'll keep shooting my Baer's and Glocks and pass on the Colt all steel maracas. You will be buying a piece of history all right, most likely a gun that was used for training and never saw the light of day outside a military base.

50. You want GI? These are that. Really the Kimber probably ain't that much better. Thousand n fifty bucks? That ain't that much money today. A curio, a relic, a killer.