$850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Komatsu61, May 10, 2018.

1. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I just read earlier posts saying basically why these aren't sold at rock bottom, we're being ripped, off, scam, pricey etc

I have to say ...

Be grateful we live in a country that will even sell guns direct to its citizens!

R*E and Bren like this.
  2. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I was interested.... was.

3. mfm9

mfm9 What?

M2, I'm sorry you got ripped off, buddy. I feel so bad for you, I'll give you $100 for it. You'll make $83! That should make up for the pain of getting worked over by Uncle Scam :)

-Mike

4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Gheez

It is a wad of money to be sure, but this was a huge win to be able to sell milsurp handguns to the general population

Think you'll have that opportunity again with any democratic President?

I have to say ... I'm glad to be getting mine, and would have even paid more

5. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

That $750-$850 is better spent on a CMP M1 Garand 'Rack Grade Special' or 'Field Grade Special.'

That money gets you a rifle with an in-spec USGI receiver that's been re-barreled with a new Criterion tube, and then dressed in new Dupage wood. All other parts (bolt, op rod) are in-spec USGI as well.

Some receivers on these Specials may show more pitting above the wood line than others, but that's a cosmetic issue that doesn't affect safety or functional reliability. Any reliability or cycling issues that do arise are promptly fixed by CMP armorers under warranty.

Best 'gun money' you'll ever spend. :thumbsup:

IMG_0106.JPG

:flag:

6. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Can't argue with ya

Every guy worth his salt needs a Garand

agtman likes this.
  7. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

A 1911 is what you use to fight your way to a Garand. ;)

Those 1911s aren't really my thing (particularly since I'm left-handed), but I'm really happy for the guys who wanted one and are getting theirs. 'Merica! :)

faawrenchbndr and PattonWasRight like this.
  8. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

9. MajorD

MajorD

Patton once your CMP gun delivers, please post some pictures with good shots of the various markings and will do my best to decipher for you.
    Scarcely any of the pistols released by the CMP are original finish.
    There were a small number of pistols attributed to excess from the army museum system, and a few that went to the CMP auction page, but otherwise doubt you will score an original finish gun.
    I use clawsons big book ( bought when first released and cost me like $75 which I thought was crazy at the time) the book is now valued at more that these pistols !

PattonWasRight likes this.
  10. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

You're a pal, thank you!!!

Yes, fully expecting that silverish parkerizing. The more markings indicating rebuilds, the more history it has, I embrace that. Not familiar with your Clawson's book, but sounds like a great resource, and hey, let's you do favors like this, much appreciated!

Slackinoff likes this.
  11. Bradley T

Bradley T

Recoil spring feels a little weak in mine. I'm gonna order a Colt's replacement spring. Had a cartridge partially in and out of the magazine hold the slide open short of battery. Just acted like the spring didn't have quite enough moxi to finish the job.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  12. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

That M1 looks great! Is that a rack grade special? I saw the CMP started accepting applications for them again. I don't have a Garand yet and they look to be solid shooters.

13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Doubt it's rack, looks more like a service grade. I was just down at the CMP range at Talladega and they had a very good supply of nice looking rifles. They are just too incredibly awesome not to own one!

Pricey yes, but they will never go down in value

jmontgomery likes this.
  14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Makes sense. Keep the original!

15. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Thanks!

Check the CMP website to be sure, but the M1 Garands that you'll see bargained priced at $750/$850 as 'Specials,' whether called as 'RG' or 'FG' Specials, are being specifically built for folks who want a good shooter-grade M1, not a collector Safe Queen.

It's the degree of visible pitting on the receiver above the wood that determines whether it gets any 'RG' or 'FG' or 'SG' grading, and CMP then prices it accordingly. These receivers were pulled from the thousands of M1s that came back from the Phillipeans. Some of these are more heavily pitted than others, but they're only using in-spec receivers for the Special builds.

CMP armorers first re-park the receiver to clean it up cosmetically, then re-barrel it with a new Criterion .30-06 barrel. (Criterion's M1 tubes are really accurate, which is why I'm hoping CMP will eventually do a run of these shooter-grade M1s in .308/7.62).

CMP armorers finish the build with an in-spec USGI bolt, op rod, etc., and then dress your M1 in a new stock set made specifically for CMP by Dupage. It's a bit lighter (being more slender) and is better fitted than the stock sets from Boyd's or the Minelli M1 stock set that Brownells sells.

CMP armorers of course test-fire these rifles to check for operability issues, but unlike the current Gun Show M1s you see the table-thieves pricing at $1800, :wow: these $750/$850 Specials come with a warranty that says CMP will fix it if a buyer does have an issue. Plus, they pay shipping.

Best M1 deal in the country right now if you want a 'shooter' with a Mil-pedigree and a heroic, storied history. :thumbsup:

:flag:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  16. MajorD

MajorD

I was hoping the CMP would offer these M1 rebuilds in 308 also.
    Patton: the so called clawson big book was the first edition of the book authored by Charles clawson. It is considered the military issue pistol collectors bible for 1911/A1 pistols. The publication was a limited run never reprinted and the quality and scarcity of the book had the value up over a grand now. They did print a less comprehensive smaller format book which is far more common, but. Still expensive.

17. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I bought a CMP rifle years ago at a decent price. I think the program has gotten way off course. Today’s prices are ridiculous.

18. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    PattonWasRight and jmontgomery like this.
  19. Scott1970

Scott1970

By chance, does Clawson’s book indicate when Colt stopped serial numbering the slides of their WWII era 1911? I was once told the book provides a serial number cutoff, but I’ve never had an opportunity to root through a copy to verify. Thanks.

20. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight