$850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Komatsu61, May 10, 2018.

1. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

While I get that these aren't everybody's thing, I agree they will have far more applicants than guns for this year's allotment. I think there's something like 100k available in total. That will keep prices down for some time, but there still will be plenty of buyers with more money than patience that will pay the $100 to $200 premium to have one now, buying it from someone that was "flipping" their CMP gun

fnfalman likes this.
  2. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I'm glad to see there is a big demand for USGI .45s. It does not sound like this new supply will flood the market and lower prices.

3. Scott60

Scott60

For $850 smackers just to get a clapped out model? Nah, for that kind of scratch I can have a brand new Kimber or Springfield, or TWO Rock Islands, all of which I'll have a serious fun time shooting.
    And the CMP did once upon a time offer amazing "deals" over "capitalist profiteering." I bought my first M1 Garand after competing in a high power match for the astounding price of $167 delivered to my front door at a time when I shelled out $575 for my first H&K-91...so I'd call that M1 Garand price a deal....
    In recent years CMP prices seem to have crept up and up, relying on people's perception of what the gun represents rather than what the gun is. For this reason I opted to buy a brand new, "new manufacture" Inland M1 Carbine over a half-clapped out CMP version, or somebody else's vastly overpriced version, because for the money I got a brand new, beautiful rifle I can actually enjoy shooting.
    So while it's true that when the numbers are so limited and highly pre-hyped, no matter how many of us opt not to buy, there will still be plenty who'll pay the asking price - some for nostalgic reasons, others because they think they're buying a collector's item that will sell for 1.6 million dollars in a few years...of course, the "next big thing" will be the introduction by somebody of an authentic "new manufacture" 1911 that is EXACTLY like the original production model in every respect....

4. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

My interest at this time would be strictly in WWI to WWII models and specifically Colt. Unless they've got a Singer they want to unload. I believe these most likely to be WWII and later. Many of the "laters" were simply refurb WWII models. Anything built after 1945 would be less desirable for me at this time. Under this program, I could end up with just about anything, which for me, could end up being nothing. For my current interest, I would be better off paying double the price to get exactly what I want.

5. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

There was no new production after 1945. That was it. In WWI they stopped production in 1919 and then made 10,000 in 1924. Next batch was 1937 and they made few until the early 1940's.

Releasing 1911s to the public is a good thing no matter what condition or cost. The more available the better.

Did anyone here really think the Government would sell complete functioning 1911s to the public ever again?

FullClip and PattonWasRight like this.
  6. GKRogersPE

GKRogersPE

The history loving side of me will throw my hat in the ring, thinking about my dad in Korea and various relatives in WWII. Then, take it out once a year and shoot a clip or three.

The pragmatic side of me says buy a Ruger or, for a tad more, a Sig 1911, and shoot the living hell out of it. Hmmm, another FNP Tactical with threaded barrel? Suddenly the pragmatic side of me is winning! Life is good.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Yep, it's a piece of US military history, and I'd like a slice please.

I get that some people are strictly cost vs other options available, but I'm sure all these will sell out and make their new owners quite happy. I'm not thinking of this as a range or SD gun, but something to make me smile at the range a couple / few times a year, and to keep in the family.

Chris8111, porschedog and GKRogersPE like this.
  8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

9. BUG'S

BUG'S

Well I think I'll pass. Shot and carried them while in the military. Was not impressed with them then and certainly not now at this price point. I'll keep shooting my Baer's and Glocks and pass on the Colt all steel maracas. You will be buying a piece of history all right, most likely a gun that was used for training and never saw the light of day outside a military base.

10. Bradley T

Bradley T

You want GI? These are that. Really the Kimber probably ain't that much better. Thousand n fifty bucks? That ain't that much money today. A curio, a relic, a killer.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  11. vetteman

vetteman NRA Member

I think an original US GI 1911 will only appreciate in value. These are guns for collectors and enthusiasts and are very sought after. The value is in owning a piece of American history. These guns will not appeal to someone who is thinking about a 1911 from a practical standpoint. Modern 1911s have come a long way and offer better features for the money. I think the CMP pricing is fair, the prices seem high but they are actually below the market price of these guns. They will sell out fast. The ones that end up on Gunbroker will have much higher reserve and asking prices.

12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I think most posting in this thread don't realize that.

FullClip likes this.
  13. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Well, I just sold my Glock 31 (full size Sig) and its two conversion barrels for enough to fund most of one the CMP 1911s ... the paperwork to submit your entry comes out June 1. For the money I got, I'd choose the nicer service grade

Haven't won too many lotteries in my life, so we'll see.

fnfalman and 1L26 like this.
  14. Bradley T

Bradley T

15. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Service grade? Looks good congrats! What are the your and lower? Mine is in but can't pick up till next week

16. Bradley T

Bradley T

Yes, Service Grade. Arrived yesterday and they actually approved it after about a half hour wait. It's not real pretty, but was nice and clean, looks good mechanically. I oiled it up pretty good and it cycles smoothly. The CMP must have got a bunch of those MecGar magazines somehow, because that's what it came with and it looks like a brand new one. Got a hundred pack of 230 ball and might just have head the gun club after supper!
    Colt slide, Remington Rand frame. Has letters S A stamped in the lower, and Mister FJA.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    DJ Niner and PattonWasRight like this.
  17. igor455

igor455

When my police dept went from beretta 92fs s t sig 229s I was able to buy my 92fs s for 149.00. I went for that one. In Vietnam a jd a 1911 couldn't hit squat with I aquired a browning hi power that shot great. I have no love for the surplus 1911 s

18. MajorD

MajorD

understand historical significance has a price.
    A USGI 1911 or A1 with government provenance ? A bargain at a grand.
    I opted for field grade (950) when I got the call.
    Remington Rand Frame ( made in late 44 or early 45 depending on what reference you use)
    Post WWII rebuild with post war contract colt replacement slide and frame.
    Rebuilt at usmc logistic base Albany GA in September 1977
    Getting a pistol that can be proven to have been in service with the usmc is something special to a lot of old ( and not so old) leathernecks ( I am not one, just making a point)
    It functions perfectly ( won’t be a routine shooter but a little here and there)
    And shot a 2” 50 foot five round group.
    Yes no beavertail and those itty bitty sights, but I can manage just fine thanks.
    Many old service personnel will tell stories of loose worn out unreliable beaters while in service.
    I have seen no stories of this with the CMP releases.

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

IMG_20200806_144829260.jpg
    5 rounds
    10 yds
    2 hands
    Slow

R*E, jmontgomery, -JCN- and 1 other person like this.
  20. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

First, as my career military Navy Corspsman Dad taught me to say ... "Thank you for your sacrifice keeping us naive and unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from doers of evil."

Second ... you got a great deal on the 92. IMO I got a great deal on a piece of US Military history. If it matters, and it doesn't, they'll never go down in value.

Well said sir. I was really tempted by the Field grades because the finish was original. At least the ones I was seeing on the CMP
    forum was. Do you think that's the case with yours?

Question ... the history you recount, that's all as indicated by the stampings on the frame, correct? What guide/resource did you use? I get mine next week and would love to decipher all that.

LOVE THAT! This pic made my day, thanks for posting!!!