$850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Komatsu61, May 10, 2018.

1. norton

norton

We call this the free enterprise system. If you don't want one at that price, somebody else does. I don't expect the CMP to offer bargains on anything. Why should they?
    This isn't like gasoline or rx drugs. Hardly anybody actually "needs" a govt issue 1911. Its not price gouging. Its capitalism.

2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Good point. Nothing is a sure thing, but appreciate wise, these are pretty safe places to stash some money.

3. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

No, they do not. Sights are adequate with practice, beavertails are for people with poor grip technique.

Mine is stock original and I have yet to get hammer bite. Now if you want a commander style hammer, that I can see.

4. jstaylor62

jstaylor62

$850 is pretty high for a "Rack Grade" 1911. But since I shot a Rack Grade 1911 on the Marksmanship Team for the Oklahoma Army National Guard and carried one in Panama after Just Cause and carried one during Desert Shield/Desert Storm, I'll buy one. My 1911 was a Singer build and always got looks at different shooting events. Probably try for a Service Grade and maybe check out the items in auction.

Firearm sales is how CMP is funded, so I don't mind spending the money supporting them.

5. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

I will say I was at Camp Perry last month and they had International Harvester garands there for $1200. They were in beautiful shape. To me that's a fair price for American history. Plus I get to hand pick the one I want out of the lineup.

FullClip and jstaylor62 like this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's what I was just thinking - those prices are probably lower than the Gun Trader's Guide lists.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  7. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Had hoped to get a 1911 at a good price. Money is tight on disability making me more of a collector than shooter lately.

An old, used weapon, it's history unknown, top dollar, sight unseen? Nothing for me here.

CMP does nothing for me. I'll wait till one shows up at the pawn shop.

Komatsu61 likes this.
  8. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Yep, I share the same feeling

jstaylor62 likes this.
  9. Leigh

Leigh

<<<I have two CMP M1 rifles and two M1 carbines that would disagree.

10. Leigh

Leigh

That said, the price is a bit steep for me, regardless of history.

11. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

If you are content with tiny sights and the regular grip safety works for you, good for you.

In the early 1990's I had a Delta Elite and a series 70 Commander, neither had a beavertail and both were punishing to the web of my hand.
    I currently have several 1911's (including a Delta) all have beavertail grip safetys and I have no discomfort shooting them, all have decent sights too.

Given that most current offerings by various 1911 makers (Ruger, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown) have sights better than the tiny originals and a beavertail grip saftey, I am in the majority with my preference.

12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

My LGS had an Ithaca for $3000 and a Remington Rand $2000. Both in good shape and they were gone in a week. It has been a long time since a 'fair' 1911A1 was $750 but I remember 40 years ago you could get a nice 'bring back' for $50 to $100 cash.

13. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

When I was in the Marines we had the 1911A1 and 50% of the boots had hammer bite and 50% did not. It is all about the grip. :drillsgt:

14. TeaDub

TeaDub

I'm glad that some of these old guns are making it into the hands of people that will enjoy them rather than being destroyed. With only 8000 being offered, I'd guess that they all will find a home. Hopefully the government will release more at a later date.

I'm not really a collector of military surplus guns. I do feel some nostalgia for these pistols as I carried a few of them as an Army MP 30+ years ago. Even tho I don't want one, I don't begrudge the CMP using supply and demand. There will be many happy "new" owners.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What sort of idiot is comparing these warhorses to modern production guns?

These guns aren’t plentiful any more. If you want a piece of American military history then buy one. If not then buy some Dan Wesson or Kimber junks.

There will be plenty of GIs, myself included, buying up these guns that we once cut our teeth on and/or took to war.

R*E, Chris8111 and PattonWasRight like this.
  16. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I know, thank you for being direct where I was being polite.

jstaylor62 and fnfalman like this.
  17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I’m going to put paperwork in for a field grade version.

Hopefully it rattles the way my old Slabside rattled.

No silly ass undercut trigger guard, beaver tail safety, extended whatchamacallits. Just the way Uncle Sam issued out

[​IMG]

R*E and PattonWasRight like this.
  18. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Lookin' good. At this point, you don't put in paperwork for any grade, you simply submit paperwork and hope that your number is pulled as one of the lucky ones. Then, they tell you what grades are still available, then you can pick. I'm in. Oh, and as my WWII Vet Dad, a Navy Corpsman taught me to say ... "Thank you for your service keeping us naive and unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from tyranny and evil."

fnfalman likes this.
  19. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    I got out of the military in 75 and I never carried or shot a Government 1911 during my enlistment so I don't have the connection that some of you have to these 1911s especially at that price. So I won't be adding one to my collection.

fnfalman likes this.
  20. MaineMade

MaineMade

A quick scan of GunBroker will tell you the CMP prices are actually well below market value. They will sell all 8000 extremely fast.

PattonWasRight likes this.