$850 Rack grade CMP 1911s, I'll pass.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Komatsu61, May 10, 2018.

1. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

Finally got a notice from the CMP that they'll be receiving 8000 surplus 1911s from uncle sam.
    $850 for rack grade, $950 for field grade and $1050 for service. They'll be auctioning off the more collectible models.
    I put my cap at $750 and think I'll stick to it. They describe rack grade as rusted, pitted with missing or cracked grips among other things.
    I really wanted one, but I feel they overpriced them.
    Anyone still going to try to get one?

Macc283, vba, Paul53 and 1 other person like this.
  2. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

No.
    I wasn't in the armed services, so no emotional attachment.
    History - I wasn't there.
    Remove history & emotion and what remains is a pistol that needs better sights, beavertail grip safety (minimum) - for a specimen in otherwise good condition.
    What are some 1911 alternatives for $850-1,050? (Already have acceptable sights & beavertail)
    Ruger 1911 - ~$750 (feeds various hollow point just fine, IME)
    Kimber TLE 10mm - (has night sights) I was out $858 total.
    Colt Delta Elite - about $1,100 for the new Ionbond "limited edition"

Atomic Punk, B C, Macc283 and 4 others like this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Would be cool if they were in decent shape, but like CDW4ME said, 850 bucks will get you a better gun elsewhere.

hrt4me, Macc283, Paul53 and 2 others like this.
  4. billorights

billorights

The best ones should not be over $400. They have been used and abused and rebuilt over and over since 1945. But they will sell out at any price. I just won't be a buyer.

Quijibo, hrt4me, FullClip and 4 others like this.
  5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I'll spend $1k for a Service Grade, but $850 for a Rack Grade? Nope.

I'll do the paperwork and send in, most because I'll just kick myself if I didn't.

Sure .. you could spend less and get more, but they wouldn't be a part of US Military history.

And to me, firearms with official DCM / CMP provenance are worth a bit more anyways.

6. jsirles

jsirles

I too saw the pricing for the CMP 1911’s today and was completely floored by the high price. There is the nostalgia angle to it, but those prices are out there. Unless the prices drop 30%, I don’t see one in my future. And I was really interested when I first heard about them coming available.

Komatsu61 and Paul53 like this.
  7. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

Thats a great return for the government. They paid about $25 for them and selling them for $850. I'd like to have one, but not that bad. I'll stick with my SS Range Officer and call it good.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I probably did overpay for my new in the box GI 1911A1, that I bought directly from our Government, when it was OUR Government.

$17 total, with a extra new magazine, delivered to the door by the Postman, in 1960.

It's gone through some changes in 58 years. :)

1911A1 Remington.JPG

texmex, Dynactus, dbuck47 and 23 others like this.
  9. njl

njl Crusty Member

Don't hold your breath. As previously mentioned, CMP knows these will sell out so fast, they're doing a lottery system for seeing who gets the opportunity to buy. I've got a 1911, didn't pay as much as any of those prices for it, didn't have to pass two NICS checks for the privilege of buying it, and I hardly ever shoot it. My piece of WWII history is my small carbine collection. At half the price they're asking, I might be a buyer. At these prices, I won't be part of the frenzy.

Paul53 and jsirles like this.
  10. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Am I missing something, 'cause I see mix master USGI 1911s selling on GunBroker etc for $1,200 and well over.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1

No interest in a old over priced cmp 1911 . My wifes Kimber SS cost $719 dollars new and my colt 04840wc was a bargain at $1050 new both from local general store

12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Guys ... comparing new non mil options to these guns is where one's mind goes admittedly, but IMO it's apples vs oranges

13. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

As citizens, CMP is selling our own property back to us for exorbitant prices. They sell them to us as a "pig in a poke" without any choice. "You put the money up and get what we give you." Pretty neat trick, I say!

During the M1 Garand heyday, I qualified for three M1 Rifles through NRA competition. I passed on those "bargains." Instead, I had two custom Garands built with Hart 6 groove Stainless Steel match barrels (parkerized) and selective fit components. The actions ran like the old Remington Wingmaster "slick as glass" actions. Each rifle cost over $1K to build, but I ended up with rifles that could win matches!

So why are these 1911 clunkers commanding high prices? Is it because the pistols could have been used in combat? Folks, you can have a H*ll of a nice 1911 pistol built for what these boat anchors cost! Try a US made Wilson Combat or an upper end STI 1911 made in Georgetown, Texas. You'll have something worth owning!

Flash

14. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

The CMP is it's own entity, it is no longer part of the government, like the DCM was

It has to make a profit

Don't forget, they run shooting competitions all across the country, including introducing high schoolers via their air rifle program

I'd ask folks to consider that before being sure the CMP is worthy of bashing

Slackinoff, -JCN-, FullClip and 2 others like this.
  15. JK-linux

JK-linux

I saw the email and I'd really like one, but $850-1050 is a bit steep IMHO. As stated by others, they were cheap to begin with. $25 in 1945 is about $350 in today's world, and that was for a brand new gun. Even if I were to say they are worth double due to history, nostalgia, or whatever, $700 is about my max for a gun I'm unlikely to fire very much. That's just me though, and I'm sure these will be gone quicker than not.

Macc283 likes this.
  16. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Telling the truth is not bashing!

Prices are high.
    You buy sight unseen.
    That's like flushing your money down the toilet!

Flash

Macc283 likes this.
  17. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

I cannot see paying $850 and up for something without seeing many detailed photos of the exact item.

If they want top dollar they need to provide detailed pictures. A general description is not good enough and from what I am reading I will pass.

Komatsu61 likes this.
  18. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

IMHO the comparison ranks right up there with "I could buy five HiPoints for that much money!".

These guns are part of American history and they may have even smoked a Nazi or a Tojo. Besides that, I had a grandfather who fought in WWII and it eventually defined his existence and I don't have much to remember him by, so this kind of thing has meaning to me and I'm sure lots of others feel the same way.

That's part of why these guns will sell and sell fast.

R*E and fnfalman like this.
  19. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

Yeah, because every gun the CMP sells ends up depreciating and in a pawn shop with a $50 price tag.

fnfalman, Paul53 and PattonWasRight like this.
  20. jstrange

jstrange

This.

I bet the government didn’t even pay that much brand new decades ago. Why would they be twice as much or more this many years later.

I get that supply and demand is reflected in the price structure, but I thought the idea of the CMP was to get surplus weapons into the hands of citizens at discounted prices.

Really these are our weapons, we paid for them once already. The least they could do is sell them back to us at rock bottom prices.

billorights and Paul53 like this.