close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

85 Yay votes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WarCry, May 24, 2013.

1. WarCry

WarCry

85 "Yay" votes, the IL House passes concealed carry. Now it goes back to the Senate, and, if approved, to the governor with a veto-proof majority.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Keep dreaming. Even if it passed they will make it so difficult to get a CWP that few will be able to carry.

3. WarCry

WarCry

I think it's a better-than-80% chance it's going to pass, because the state doesn't want the court order to kick in in 2 weeks and negate all anti-carry laws.

This is not a great bill. I'd be hesitant to even call it a good bill. However, it does a few good things, like completely erasing all local municipal gun laws (including Chicago's absurd registration and permitting system and their AWB), and it makes it Shall-Issue, not May-Issue.

And, I might also add, it's already passed the biggest hurdle. It needed 71 votes to preempt future Home-Rule attempts at bypassing it, and 71 votes in the House is needed to override a veto. This bill got 85. By my math, that's more than the 71 needed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

And you never thought that parking ticket would ever bite you on the ass. :whistling:

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

I certainly hope it does pass and gets reciprocity with Missouri.

6. kostnerave

kostnerave

Sorry to say this will NEVER become a reality in Il. I'm happy for you but it will be very short lived.

7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Keep up with the news--the Illinois is on the verge of getting Constitutional carry. The Supreme Court said Illinois must become a carry state, all that's left to work out is the details.

8. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Anyone got a link to the text for this bill? They've been floating around so many so-called "concealed carry" bills lately, it's making my head spin.

9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

No skin off my ass. Pass it, or don't pass it, I don't give a ****. I have zero patience when it comes to States who don't recognize basic human rights. All who live there, who care about Freedom, should have moved out long ago. To me, there's no excuse for living in restrictive places such as Illinois, California, Hawaii, New York, or Washington DC. No excuse.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

And with states that don't maintain their bridges. ;)

11. WarCry

WarCry

12. WarCry

WarCry

Right now, with the current bill, reciprocity doesn't exist for all intents and purposes. If you're not a resident, you can present your home CCW in lieu of training, and pay $300 for a non-resident license. Which, in turn, means other states aren't going to recognize IL's permit, either.

That's just one of the problems for this bill, and it's a lesser concern for me, because I'm a resident and, frankly, I don't give TOO much of a damn if someone from MO can carry here, I'm worried more about someone from here carrying here.

That said, if/when this bill passes, since it will be the controlling authority for firearms laws (preempting Home Rule), that means when they start making changes to it, the changes will only need 60 votes to pass rather than 71. I believe the intent of Brandon Phelps, who wrote this bill, is to get it in place, then start whittling away at the more restrictive parts of it. Basically, show that, yes, we can have concealed carry without it turning into a blood bath, then start loosening the choke-hold.

A few notes:

Pros
    Concealed Carry in IL
    CCW that is Shall-issue, not May-issue
    Eliminates any and all municipal or county gun laws that are contrary to this bill (meaning all of them, including any registration, any "purchase permit", and any assault weapons bans that are in place in Chicago right now.
    Cars are "safe havens", so businesses and employers cannot restrict the storage of firearms in cars on their parking lots.

Cons
    No real reciprocity
    16 hours training (though the live-fire quals are a joke*)
    Bad restrictions (namely public transit and public parks/playgrounds)

Middle-of-the-road (could be good or bad)
    $150 for 5 years. That seems a bit steep, but there are some states that have higher, and it's still less than the $250 the ISP wanted. I don't like it, but $30/year isn't a sharp enough burden for me to fully throw it in the Con category. The cost for 16 hours of training, though, is probably going to be absurd.

I'm sure there will be more pros and cons as I sift through the bill more.

*The live-fire is 10rds at 5yds, 10 at 7, and 10 at 10, with a 21 in the black on a B21 target to pass. If you can't hit 21 of the shots at those distances, I don't think I want you carrying anyway!

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Is there a military exemption for the training? Some states, like Florida, accept a DD214 in lieu of training.

14. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

We should be supporting these guys and gals not saying it will never happen.

To all of you in IL I hope you can get your ccw in order and protect yourselves. If there becomes a path to an out of state or reciprocity I will visit IL. Until then I will never come to your state.

Maybe the greedy politicians want out of state travel just bad enough? Not to mention all the licence fees they can collect.

Good Luck, GMB

15. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Ha, very well said. :supergrin::whistling:

Yes, WA. is restrictive, but not nearly as bad as some people think.

16. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

You are going to have to expand on this much further. What leads you to make that statement? Are you familiar with the court decision handed down by the 7th? Are you familiar with the current bill that just made its way through the House with a veto-proof majority (and will likely do the same in the Senate)?

The bill allows for up to 8 of the 16 required hours to carry over from previous instruction, but I have yet to see an official answer to whether military training will qualify for those 8 hours (I have seen the question asked a few times though). Logic would say yes, but either way you will most likely be on the hook for at least 8 additional hours.

17. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Boy, it's a good thing you're not a military general or something. "Don't fight, run!"

If everyone thought like you 250 years ago we'd all be British.

18. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Its great all the fools that have no idea what they are talking about still bashing away at IL in here. Grow up. We won. We will have Shall Issue, we will have statewide preemption. This bill even kills the chicago AWB and registry.

Hate elsewhere.

19. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Whats it fell like to be a total jackass who rambles about things he doesnt know anything about?

20. WarCry

WarCry

I get the distinct impression that this comment (and the one he quoted originally) are of the mind that I'm making a prediction. I'm not, the 85 votes already happened. That's why I put up the photo of the "Big Board".

This isn't me saying "I think this bill will get the support", this is me saying "This bill has passed the House today".