844 powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shotgunred, Feb 2, 2013.

1. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Do you work up a load for each container or mix the ones you have together?

I have 2-8lb jugs so I guess it doesn't really matter but I am curious what other people do.

2. fredj338

fredj338

I have only one jug, but my understanding is surplus powders vary quite a bit from lot to lot. So it you bought them the same time, the lots are probably the same. If you bought them years apart, probably diff. Mixing them thoroughly & then working the laod data up would probably be my choice.

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I would keep them separate. How could you know how well you mixed them? I just transitioned my dog from puppy to dog food. So, I mixed the last of the puppy 50/50 with the dog food in a big container. The colors are a little different and every scoop comes out with different percentages of each food, it's visibly obvious. I don't think my dog will KB, so it's not big deal, but with powder, having each sample (load) slightly different would defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Dog may not go KB but will certainly make KB:whistling:

On a serious note I think your point is 100%.

5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

I haven't used any of the surplus powders, so I don't have any direct experience with them. I have blended Unique powder from different lots with very satisfactory results. All that said....

These powders are relatively close in performance from lot to lot, maybe not as exact as the commercially marketed powders, but close enough. Blending two jugs together as best one can would much better eliminate any minor inconsistencies in lot to lot variance. And for the record, I have recommended on this board that others do the same.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can always chrono the loads you develop with the first jug, and use that as a benchmark for the new loads when you switch to the second lot.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Yeah, a dog will eat a festering possum on the side of the road in August and finish it with a Styrofoam cup and be fine. But I'm supposed to blend two bags of almost the same thing so as not to upset her delicate system.

7. fredj338

fredj338

A safe bet, but a KB isn't really possible if you are working the load up. You are NOT blending two distinctly diff powders, but powders fo slightly diff lots. So a perfect blend is not going to be a big deal IMO.
    I do this all the time, albeit on a smaller scale. When I open another 1# container. I will pour in the last 1-2oz of the old one & blend them. I don't bother reworking the loads either & see very little chrono evidence it's changed the load at all.
    Like punching out live primers or tumbling loaded ammo, everyone has a preference. I don't see it as being unsafe though, done with some thought.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I agree with you that it wouldn't kb. But, these surplus powders are just that, surplussed. Aside from the fact that you don't know where they have been and how they were treated, they were never intended to be used by consumers. Retail powders are produced with consistency so that guys like you and me can rely on published data.

These bulk powders have none of that going for them. They are intended to be used by factories that develop their loads in a lab. Big swings in lots don't matter to them as long as they can get the velocity they need without exceeding MAP. These powders could be as consistent as sunrise, or it could be more like the tides.

I'd hate to spring a bolt because I got a dose of faster 844 that wasn't blended well with slower doses that were used to develop the load.

9. 390ish

390ish

Blending powder is not a good idea.