$750 for a PT1911?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by Indy_Guy_77, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I almost choked!!! What is Gander Mountain (Castleton) thinking? Sure, it has night sights...worth what, and extra $60?

$750 for a Taurus PT1911? HAHAH!

$750 + 6% sales tax = a whopping $795. FOR A TAURUS.

Granted, the MSRP from Taurus' website says $703...but come on!

Any bets on how long it'll be there?

-J-

2. FastJuice

FastJuice NozeBleedSpeed

A buddy just bought one at a local dealer, BNIB with 2 extra mags for less than $450.

BTW, Gander Mountain is the most expensive place that I dont guns from...

3. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Funny thing. When they first opened in Castleton I got my 3rd generation G22 (used, never fired)for $450. I now go there and see very used 1st and 2nd generation G22s for $465.

4. aglocker1911

aglocker1911 can't re-MEMBER

Funny, you would think a "first gen" G22 would be worth big bucks, being so rare and all!:rofl:

5. mpholic

mpholic

You can buy a brand new Springfield Loaded for less than that.

A customer brought a brand new PT1911 to the range (Eagle Creek) last weekend and the thumb safety came of 3 times while he was shooting it. Each time the safety came off so did both detent plungers and the spring. Luckily (thanks to Steve's wife) we found them each time.

That's the kind of quality that earns that $750 price?

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Steve did witness a Springer break in its first outing as well (I forget what, but I know it was unable to continue shooting).

They all have lemons.

That being said Steve's PT1911 ran pretty well and my Springer has been great.

Also, $750 for a PT1911 is crazy. Gander Mountain is overpriced on almost everything gun related. I remember seeing a USED SIG P220ST for MORE than the NEW 220ST in the same case. Their used guns are priced to sit there and collect dust.

7. mpholic

mpholic

Yes, that is true. Statiscally (non scientific, word of mouth) though Taurus fail more often. Their customer service is abysmal compared to Springfield.

8. cougar_guy04

cougar_guy04

Same way at the Terre Haute store. I don't even bother looking at the handguns anymore. I saw one used 220R Stainless and they wanted $750+ for it. I think their long guns are as bad too. They wanted $400+ (I want to say $480) for a used 590, $280 for a used 500.

9. naffiner

naffiner

I saw a 2nd gen 22 at the one here in TH for 300$ a while back, which i'm regretting not picking up.

10. hiram2005p0

hiram2005p0

Saturday I bought a S+W 5906 police trade with 3 mags + nite sites for $304 at Gander in Castleton. Thought was a good buy but do agree they seem hi on about everything.

11. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I've bought almost all of my firearms from Gander (both Greenwood and Castleton). They're definitely hit and miss on their prices, that's for sure.

Example: $250 for a well used CZ 82 is too much, in my opinion. But $450 for a LNIB 9mm Walther P99 was pretty good, considering all the prices I looked at on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica.

I think we should all call the Castleton store and inquire about the PT1911. When the price is quoted over the phone, just say "Are you freaking kidding me? For a TAURUS?". I think that'd be fun.

-J-

12. luxone

luxone dis-Member

As sad as it is they will sell it. People who are new to guns go to places they recognize. This is one of the reasons Don's Guns stays in business. Even though their prices are even worse than Ganders. People buying their first gun who don't have friends who shoot know the names Gander Mountain and Don's Guns so they go there and get ripped off. A new guy at work saw my Glock shirt and proceeded to tell me he wanted a Glock when he got his gun but couldn't afford it, so he settled on a S&W Sigma. He paid $550 for it at Don's! He was sick when I told him he could have got a Glock for less than $500 at a reputable dealer such as Albro's or Plainfield. This is why whenever someone mentions they want to buy a gun I point them in the direction of these shops.

13. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Had a couple at EC last weekend with a SIG P226 - two-tone slide/frame, gold plated trigger, mag release, slide release & (IIRC) takedown lever. I commented that I had never seen such a blinged-out 226. They responded that it was cheaper than the un-blinged 226. I axed where they got it, hoping against hope I was wrong, but it was D**'s (I can't bring myself to type it....).

Just shook my head and walked away.

Seemed like such a nice couple, too.

But back on topic, aren't the PT1911's supposed to be comparable to a 2100.00 pistol?? :rofl: :rofl:

I DID like mine, it worked great. Don't know that I'd rush out to get another one, but I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent 1911.

14. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

I used to work there (Gander at Terre Haute), and in the last year to year and a half they have gotten nuts on stuff. Employees get a 20% discount on just about everything and I still shopped at Darrell's & PSS.

I did get some good deals there though, especially when they first opened. A gen 2 glock 22 for $210. A Desert Eagle 44 mag (looked brand new) for $600, and a few others, but I still spent most of my money at Darrell's or PSS.

I kept hoping they'd wise up and quit hiring straight out of school corporate types that don't shoot, hunt, fish or camp, and didn't just look at spreadsheets with percentage points on them... but I don't think it's going to happen.

I'm hoping that cabela's really does come in and puts a hurting on them, maybe then they'd wise up and get sane with their prices.