747 seating

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sierra9, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Sierra9

Sierra9

Have any of you experienced travelers spent much time on Boeing 747s? If so, do you have any comments on the seating in the back of the plane, where there are two seats abreast as opposed to three or four?

2. BhamGlock

BhamGlock

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I rode in the back of the bus to China a few years ago, nothing fancy or fun about em, not really any extra room other than I could get up and stretch once in a while, granted the downside of being in that area of that plane is the rear kitchen, so flight attendants are always going past. I am a broad shouldered guy and my elbow sticks out into the aisle a bit, I had this one flight attendant that was hippy and kept smacking into me bumping my arm, never said jack about it. Until one time I stiffened up and let her give herself what I assumed was one heck of a charlie horse.

4. saluki9

saluki9

Totally dependent on the airline you are flying

5. azs2002

azs2002 Lock-N-Load

[​IMG]

Now a days these planes are so overcrowded it really does not matter where you sit. It is virtually guaranteed to to be a long, uncomfortable ride complete with smells that will make you gag, stale air, at least 4 screaming children, etc...

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

^^^^^ That part.

I've flown where upstairs is totally business, and where it (upstairs) was totally coach.

'Drew

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Rode the last row of a 747 about 20 years ago. Loudest ride I've ever taken. IIRC, also the coldest. And least attention from the Stew's. There was no additional leg room as I was promised.

I was told by the travel agent (remember that job????) it was the best seat on the plane. I'd rather be in front of the engines and first one off.

8. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Glad you showed that woman doing her job who's boss.

9. BhamGlock

BhamGlock

+1 :whistling:

10. Sierra9

Sierra9

I had the very same experience twice with same response from me. Gone are the days when we had young, polite, attentive, and slim stews.

11. moeman

moeman

Not if you have $$... You get a sleeper seat, your own screen, full power for laptops, food and open bar.

The steerage section is like you describe especially on charter flights.

[​IMG]

12. community

community Member

I remember is was engine noisy and close to the bathroom.

13. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Seatguru!!!
    I live by it.

What airline are you flying? What route?

Every airline places seats differently. Some will have different seating arrangements depending on the route. Also, there are several flavors of 747..though you will typically only see 400 series in passenger service with most major lines.

14. raven11

raven11

Been on too many trans-PAC to count it doesn't matter where you sit in coach it isn't going to be pleasant, nowadays I fork over the extra money to fly buisness class

and if you still want attractive flight attendants: Singapore Airlines ;)

15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I avoid the two-abreast seating like the plague, even on planes with a 2-3-2 configuration.

You will almost never get an empty seat next to you in a 2 config, as one is an aisle, and one is a window. People work hard to get out of middle seats, and unless the plane is dead empty, or dead full, there will be mostly middle seats empty.

Since an empty seat next to me is darn near as good as business class, I'll always choose to be in the 3 configuration.

Now, I'm a broad-shouldered guy, so the empty seat is a MUCH bigger deal to me than the risk of having two people for whom I need to get up - others might not care so much...

16. Sierra9

Sierra9

17. Sierra9

Sierra9

Yeah, and the airlines of every other country I've been in, including but not limited to Viet Nam, Brazil, Ecuador, Egypt, Jordon, Germany, etc

18. Sierra9

Sierra9

I appreciate all the answers, and the seatguru website is a big help. My 747 experience is limited. The first time I don't remember. The last time was a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. Wife and I sat in the back. It seemed like that part of the plane was yawing back and forth. Didn't know if that was a problem with that plane or staus quo for the rear.