709 range report

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sjones, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

Went to the range today and shot my brand new 709.I shot wwb fmjs,remington fmjs,reloaded hollowpoints,gold dots.I didn't have a single malfunction.It looks like I got a winner.

[​IMG]
    I shot at 10 yds and yes,its a taurus 709.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Congrats!

What distance are you shooting at, and is this a Taurus 709?

3. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

I shot at 10 yds and yes,its a taurus 709. sj

4. CBennett

CBennett

nice, I thought about one till I got the Ruger SR9c instead but I still like the 709.

5. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

I've had my eye on one of these for awhile. Is it comfortable to shoot? The super skinny grip has me a little concerned.

6. boozer

boozer

Nice shooting, had to look up "Taurus 709".

Pretty decent target at 30 feet. I would be happy with it.

7. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

Its very plesant to shoot,hardly any recoil at all.I think it beats keltec hands down,but thats just my opinion.The grip is very comfortable for me as I have small hands.It has a long trigger pull but when you take up the slack your'e right at the breaking point and it resets really fast.One trip to the range made a believer out of me.I fired maybe 200 rounds with absolutely no touble of any kind. sj

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  8. 280Z

280Z

My father has a 709 and is enjoying it. I find that it doesn't fit my hand as well as my G19. I have long skinny fingers and feel that the grip is a little small for me. (feels like my fingertips could go back under my palm) Even holding it in the store it felt a little off to me. You should be able to tell pretty quick if its too uncomfortable, even without shooting it.

It hasn't had any trouble with function and has maybe 300 through it so far. It is very slim...

9. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

I've held one in the store, and yes its seems a little too skinny for my large hands. But that's also the appeal of a nice carry gun. I may have to reserve my judgement until I can shoot one.

10. jb0009

jb0009 Glock On

sjones,
    I recently held one of these at our local gun show and thought it felt real nice in my hands (which are medium sized, I guess). But I was wondering, do you think the 709 would work with pocket carry? Honestly, I pocket carry my G26 whenever I wear a button-up shirt and jeans (because they're not loose enough for IWB) but it's still bulky and heavy. I'm looking for something I can pocket carry with a variety of clothing options; particularly while wearing shorts. What do you think?

11. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

I love mine,waiting on my sight to get back,it was supposed to be fully adjustable but it wasn't.I have small hands so it fits me perfect.I don't think it would pocket carry,at least not in jeans.It might in slacks with bigger pockets.However it will fit in my back pocket ok,but I prefer to wear it in a OWB.I have a hume 715(I believe thats what it is)open top that it fits fine.I origionally got it for a glock 19 but either gun fits fine.

12. 17z

17z

280z,maybe you should just file your fingers down a tad to get them fingers around the grip and not in your hand. 17z,joke.