Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
80,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Overwhelming 70 percent of Americans want trade restrictions with China after coronavirus pandemic

Seventy percent of American voters want restrictions on trade with China in wake of coronavirus

Seventy percent of American voters say they want restrictions on trade with China, according to a new Just the News Daily Poll with Scott Rasmussen.

"There were public concerns about China’s trade practices before the pandemic. Those concerns have now escalated significantly," Rasmussen said. "The only question is how harshly we deal with the nation that most Americans believe made the pandemic worse."

https://justthenews.com/politics-po...can-voters-want-restrictions-trade-china-wake "

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Where's the option that says ban all visitors from china? Expel all students here that originated from china? Cancel all debt china holds over us, including treasury debt? Confiscate all American business and real estate owned by china?

Put me down for those options.

·
Native Mainiac
23,793 Posts
As long as the people who sell the stuff can get the stuff they sell a lot cheaper somewhere else, and people in the USA will buy the stuff to save money it will be pretty hard to turn things around.

My Trump 2020 hat, with the little American flag on the back is made in China for crying out loud.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
our out sourcing goes back a ways. when I did the brakes on my 1992 F150 and went to repack the front wheel bearings I discovered they were made in China! oddly enough those wheel bearings were still going strong at 150,000 miles when I sold that truck so not all of their stuff is crap.

·
Caffeinator
5,974 Posts
While we should strive to bring as much manufacturing back to the U.S. as is feasible, the fact is that many things will not be made in the U.S. ever again due to the cost of manufacturing (labor, taxes, and so forth). We are a globalized economy, and nothing is going to change that. Countries with cheap, abundant labor, lower costs of living, lower taxes, and less government regulation of industry are going to attract competitive firms. However, we can diversify our foreign investment by moving factories from China to a wide range of countries, from Taiwan to India to wherever else. There are plenty of "cheap" places that are not controlled by brutal authoritarian regimes like the CCP.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Hello, the USA is not a democracy.
It is a government run by politicians and their rich handlers.
:)
It is actually a Constitutional Republic by design but you are right and what we think is not a priority.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Like I said in another thread you can buy American if you are willing to look around and research.
I just needed to replace our coffee maker (plain old drip coffee maker). I looked all over for a US made one. Bunn was the only manufacturer which was't making them in China, and they are only ASSEMBLING theirs here from parts "sourced from outside the US"

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I try real hard not buy that chinese communist sheeeet. I'm all for trade, but not with a avowed enemy of the United States. FullClip, sorry, but I would have thrown that hat away. Once upon a time the NRA sent me my "free" hat (MIC). I cut it up in small pieces and sent it back.
China is our enemy!!!!! Trading with the enemy used to be against the law. :steamed:
https://www.encyclopedia.com/histor...s-transcripts-and-maps/trading-enemy-act-1917
Gertz.jpg

·
NRA Member
1,252 Posts
AS soon as they realize it will cost them more than 99 cents, they will reverse and declare all China restrictions are racist.

Let's face it. Most Americans can't even locate China on a map. Maybe not even their home states either.

·
Registered
16,870 Posts
It's a very good thing we are not a social democracy and that we don't run this nation with "Mob Rule."

You think our economy is being hit hard now? You have no idea what would happen if we suddenly stopped dealing with China.

It will take years to wean ourselves off the Chinese manufacturing machine - and it has nothing to do with the "cheap Chinese crap" that you buy today at the Dollar Store.

·
Registered
19,636 Posts
70 percent of Americans want trade restrictions with China
It's about time that people woke up to the reality that trading with these people will never be equitable. They steal our technology, sell goods below cost to bankrupt the competition, have massive human rights violations, manipulate their currency, and have time and again proven to be completely untrustworthy.

The covid-19 virus has claimed more lives than the Vietnam war. Send them a bill.
How To Make China Pay For COVID-19
https://www.hoover.org/research/how-make-china-pay-covid-19

·
Rational
14,875 Posts
I just needed to replace our coffee maker (plain old drip coffee maker). I looked all over for a US made one. Bunn was the only manufacturer which was't making them in China, and they are only ASSEMBLING theirs here from parts "sourced from outside the US"
I wanted a US-made electric floor fan a while back. Years ago, Lakewood, Air King, and Patton were all made 100% here in America, with American-made ball-bearing McMillan motors. Now it's all a bunch of chinese-made crap.

So I looked around, particularly at Air King (owned by Lasko), since they were the only one with the best reviews and "Made In America" tag, and they had this on their products:

This product meets the Made in America requirements of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act as a manufactured Good. To download the Guidance PDF click here
PDF link:

http://www.airkinglimited.com/page/eere_substantial_transformation_guidance.pdf

I thought "eh...", and bought the model 9214 14" floor fan. I have not been disappointed in it. I'm running it right now in fact, and it's been a great product. The motor might be foreign, I think, but it's very well made. The price reflected it too....I believe I paid $70, IIRC.

When I ordered the 14" model, Amazon made a mistake and sent me a 12" model instead (which uses a sleeve motor), but my mother got a hold of it and liked it so much that she kept it and Air King sent me a 14" model for my trouble. The 12" model is great for her....she's has weak forearms at her age and can't carry a larger fan. She uses it all the time in the warmer months, with no troubles to report.

Now, if you can find an original "Made In USA" Lasko, Air King, Lakewood, or Patton floor fan online, usually through auctions, expect to pay upwards of $200 for one in excellent condition. I think the usual is about $120 though...if you can find them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts