Glock Talk banner

7 Reasons Cops Choose the 9mm Over the .40

6669 Views 107 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  DonGlock26
Discussed ad nausseum, I know, but for those who have not yet decided on a carry caliber, more food for thought.

http://www.tacticaltechnologiesusa.com/blog/37-7-reasons-why-cops-choose-the-9mm-over-the-40

Not only do more cops choose to use the 9mm, our most elite military forces all use it for most situations. I have carried just about all of them, and all are effective enough, although the handgun is wholly inadequate for stopping a threat. Regardless, whatever you choose to use, it's best to pick one, stick one and practice. Anytime I have switched from one caliber to another, I practice with it before I run with it. Proper taining and practice is key!
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

· JABRONI AUTIST
8,631 Posts
Of those seven, only two seem legitimate. The 9mm does have higher capacity, although it's slight, and also the issue of cost but ONLY for target/practice ammo as the premium stuff is just as pricey as .40.

I have 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45's and I like them all. I don't really care if someone likes either one better than the rest, but I do have an issue when someone tries to say that less is best all of the time, they're all lethal but they're not equal either.

Just briefly, as to the other five topics in the link provided, a 9mm isn't easier to shoot more accurately than a .40. It may be easier (softer?) to shoot because it recoils a little bit less, but that has no bearing on accuracy in terms the guns potential. I'm not really convinced there are more 9mm weapon choices than .40 either, although many designs are initially released in 9mm, a .40 often follows.

Longevity doesn't really matter, if you shoot a .40 so much to wear it out to the point it's inoperable, you've got deep enough pockets to afford another because that's a LOT money spent on ammo. Reliability isn't a issue either, I'm not aware of any 9mm that is proven to be more reliable than its .40 counterpart.

Lastly on the topic of ammo choices, if anything the .40 wins here since during the ammo rush .40 was more abundant than 9mm as a whole. Plus both are loaded with all sorts of premium bullet options so I don't see how the 9mm has better ammo choices at all.

Just my .02!

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of those seven, only two seem legitimate. The 9mm does have higher capacity, although it's slight, and also the issue of cost but ONLY for target/practice ammo as the premium stuff is just as pricey as .40.

I have 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45's and I like them all. I don't really care if someone likes either one better than the rest, but I do have an issue when someone tries to say that less is best all of the time, they're all lethal but they're not equal either.

Just briefly, as to the other five topics in the link provided, a 9mm isn't easier to shoot more accurately than a .40. It may be easier (softer?) to shoot because it recoils a little bit less, but that has no bearing on accuracy in terms the guns potential. I'm not really convinced there are more 9mm weapon choices than .40 either, although many designs are initially released in 9mm, a .40 often follows.

Longevity doesn't really matter, if you shoot a .40 so much to wear it out to the point it's inoperable, you've got deep enough pockets to afford another because that's a LOT money spent on ammo. Reliability isn't a issue either, I'm not aware of any 9mm that is proven to be more reliable than its .40 counterpart.

Lastly on the topic of ammo choices, if anything the .40 wins here since during the ammo rush .40 was more abundant than 9mm as a whole. Plus both are loaded with all sorts of premium bullet options so I don't see how the 9mm has better ammo choices at all.

Just my .02!
Bear in mind this may be different for LEO purchases. For civilian pricing, I agree, there is little if any difference.

On the ease of shooting, it seems you sort of contradicted yourself. That may hold true for you, but for the average shooter, there is noticably less felt recoil with the 9mm. WRT to gun potential, that rests solely on the shooter as I see it, which is the whole point of the 9mm being easier to shoot more accurately. I remember thinking there wasn't much difference in recoil btwn the Glock 17 to the 22, but when I compared the 23 to the 19, there was a stark contrast. I submit it depends heavily on the shooter and the platform. All quality guns are always more accurate than the respective shooter.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts

Just my .02!
:goodpost:

Very well said. 9mm makes sense as a general issue weapon for many reasons, but as you point out for an individual, that logic does not necessarily apply.

It certainly seems of late there is an ongoing campaign to convince everyone that the 9mm is equal or superior to anything else. If you like it, are comfortable with it, that's great. My current carry is a 9mm. That being said, why the urge to convince others that it's the better choice as well. Heck, 9mm lovers should try to talk everyone into other calibers so there's more 9mm on the shelve when the need arises. :whistling:

· Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussed ad nausseum, I know, but for those who have not yet decided on a carry caliber, more food for thought.

http://www.tacticaltechnologiesusa.com/blog/37-7-reasons-why-cops-choose-the-9mm-over-the-40

Not only do more cops choose to use the 9mm, our most elite military forces all use it for most situations. I have carried just about all of them, and all are effective enough, although the handgun is wholly inadequate for stopping a threat. Regardless, whatever you choose to use, it's best to pick one, stick one and practice. Anytime I have switched from one caliber to another, I practice with it before I run with it. Proper taining and practice is key!

I suspect that this is because the cops and the military stopped looking for "magic" bullets long ago opting instead to rely upon good JHP design (where they are used) and coherent training. In the hands of a skillfully trained user, any service caliber is up to the job. Thanks for the great article. :)

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought they carried what they were issued, wayit was when i was in uniform. I had zero choice in the matter. If you want to carry 9 that's fine. I choose bigger. Ammo price has lots to do with that choice as well. The choice isn't on what's best, but what's cost effective. So this kind of article means little in reality.

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect that this is because the cops and the military stopped looking for "magic" bullets long ago opting instead to rely upon good JHP design (where they are used) and coherent training. In the hands of a skillfully trained user, any service caliber is up to the job. Thanks for the great article. :)
Agreed! And yw...

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, I always thought they carried what they were issued, wayit was when i was in uniform. I had zero choice in the matter. If you want to carry 9 that's fine. I choose bigger. Ammo price has lots to do with that choice as well. The choice isn't on what's best, but what's cost effective. So this kind of article means little in reality.
Did you read the article? I ask b/c it pretty much talks about all this, but of course, thanks for your input. Always nice to hear from the cynically arrogant. :yawn:

· NRA Life Member
75,684 Posts
Not only do more cops choose to use the 9mm, our most elite military forces all use it for most situations. !
OK, I'll discuss:

No, most cops don't choose 9mm over .40. .40 is still the #1 police caliber, used by over 65% of police agencies, and where we see the change to 9mm, it usually comes from departments, not police who get to choose their own. Keep in mind, that remaining 35% isn't 9mm - that's 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 GAP and .357 Sig, combined.

Elite military forces use rifles. They don't give a %$#@ about pistols and their pistols are 9mm because the majority of NATO countries were already using it and we were the only odd one, with .45.

You start with an invalid assumption: that police with a choice are choosing 9mm over .40.

· NRA Life Member
75,684 Posts
Did you read the article? I ask b/c it pretty much talks about all this, but of course, thanks for your input. Always nice to hear from the cynically arrogant. :yawn:
The "article" is an unsigned blog post on an unknown site, with no citation to sources.

It has 0 value and 0 credibility. It's basically on the opinion level and we don't even know which mall ninja's opinion it is. Heck, my linked source was an anti-gun group, but at least they tell where their info came from.

That is a poor authority for telling people they are wrong.

· woo woo
31,834 Posts
I can see the most deciding factor is cost, I suspect the 9mm pistol will overall be a more reliable option than the .40 version as well, from both a durability ( though perhaps a red herring) and functional reliability- the tapered case has long demonstrated an advantage this way in self loading pistols.
I have no horse in this race and prefer the 9mm....but there's a trade off with everything...the .40 is still a superior round, even if only slightly.

· Registered
269 Posts
All I know is,the last ammo scarce when there was no 380,9mm or 45 on the shelf's. I was getting 40 every trip I made for ammo.
I've never put as much stock in someone else's opinion as I put on my own experiences. I own a G23 and I have faith in it...but that's just my opinion!

· Registered
9,526 Posts
First it was the classic debate that the 9mm was as good as the .45, then the 9mm was as good as the .40, then there was just no need for the 357 Sig, the 10mm was too much, then it didn't matter about caliber because shot placement was ALL that mattered. Next came all handguns were equal so grab a rifle if the 9mm was inadequate, now we are on the gig that training makes all calibers equal. I think I see a pattern developing here. :shocked:

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I'll discuss:

No, most cops don't choose 9mm over .40. .40 is still the #1 police caliber, used by over 65% of police agencies, and where we see the change to 9mm, it usually comes from departments, not police who get to choose their own. Keep in mind, that remaining 35% isn't 9mm - that's 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 GAP and .357 Sig, combined.

Elite military forces use rifles. They don't give a %$#@ about pistols and their pistols are 9mm because the majority of NATO countries were already using it and we were the only odd one, with .45.

You start with an invalid assumption: that police with a choice are choosing 9mm over .40.
No one said most cops choose 9mm. I said more cops choose it, and to be more specific, as the article points out, more cops are choosing it.

Now, if you also researched elite military units, you would know they use pistols quite a lot, but apparently you don't research, and you seem to jump to conclusions based on less than all the facts. We certainly see that you do a lot of assuming. Why don't you stop trying to look so smart and just attempt to communicate like normal people?

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The "article" is an unsigned blog post on an unknown site, with no citation to sources.

It has 0 value and 0 credibility. It's basically on the opinion level and we don't even know which mall ninja's opinion it is. Heck, my linked source was an anti-gun group, but at least they tell where their info came from.

That is a poor authority for telling people they are wrong.
I've actually done a little research on the subject, Bren. Assuming this is my only resource reflects on you. Not me. Food for thought.

· Premium Member
CLM #38
10,890 Posts
I've actually done a little research on the subject, Bren. Assuming this is my only resource reflects on you. Not me. Food for thought.
It's quite obvious that you are impressed with yourself.

Problem is, you're in the minority.

For someone new to the board you're very aggressive, insulting, and dismissive of anyone who disagrees with your views.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.