7.62 mm adequate for deer or hogs out to 75-100 meters?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jhokie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. jhokie

jhokie

I'm looking to get a cheaper AK or AKM for my first rifle... is this going to be ok for hunting deer or possibly hogs out to 100 meters?

If so, what type of load should I look into getting? I have no hunting experience, so I definitely don't want to spend alot on the rifle, and the AK could also double as a great self defense/survival rifle. Also, I figure the ammo would be a heck of alot cheaper than other alternatives. Thanks for any responses.

2. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

7.62 X 54mm (aka .308 Win).... YES.

7.62 X 39mm (aka AK-47).... probably not.

3. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

Ummm, 7.62 x 54 is not .308, it is generally a Russian rimmed round.
    308 Winchester is 7.62 x 51mm.

Just to be accurate.

GlockSpeed31

4. jhokie

jhokie

Well, I've read threads about 10mm handguns and even less being used on deer at close ranges, so why not an AK?

5. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

sorry you're right...i got distracted during this posting earlier.

WHAT HE SAID! ;)

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

If we are being accurate... the 7.62 X 39 has identical ballistics as the trusted old 30-30 round. Only the 7.62 shoots a pointy bullet which should give it a slight advantage.

And the 30-30 has been a suitable round for deer, out to 150 yards, for many, many years.

7. noway

noway

{ 7.62 X 39mm (aka AK-47).... probably not.
    }

I have to laught at that.

I;ve seen hogs take with much less. If you get a good expanding bulet and fire it from a AK, it should be just as good as anything a .243win or bigger can do. THe std FMJ offering also works and would be a better option than a 5.56mm.

Hogs aren't some magical beast that can defeat rifles. ;)

8. Michigun

Michigun live free or die

The 7.62x39mm is a fine hunting round.

Here’s what I take a field when I’m hunting MI whitetails in our “rifle zone”:

[​IMG]

It’s a MAK-90 Sporter AK-47 clone.

I even made myself a “blocked” 30-rounder that only holds the legal 5 rounds. ^c

FYI, The 7.62x39mm SKS is a common sight during deer season around here.

9. ALLAN

ALLAN

Some of them seem to be..lol

Alot of people take them with small rounds like 22mag, 22-250,.223,etc.
    Some people have difficuty taking them with a 30-06 or 7mm mag.

7.62x39 works well the on hogs in Texas. All about shot placement and tree climbing if you piss one off.;f

10. jhokie

jhokie

How about just using your bayonet to stifle the charge? ^c Depending on the size and ferocity of the beast, it could be a fun option.

Then again, that tree is pretty appealing too :cool:

11. ALLAN

ALLAN

Have any hogs around the Tampa/St. pete area??
    I may be moving there next year.

12. Castigliano

Castigliano

Never have hog hunted, but I know they can have a hard layer of fat and I would would be leary of a 7.62 x 39. I have seen them tip over deer and they are underpowered compared to a 30-30. You have to remember the standard 30-30 round is 170 grains and I have bought them with Nosler Partitions at one time. They are a deer wounder due to low power and low accuracy out of SKS & AK47.

Also I am a little biased about not wanting the guys that come to my father's farm and suggest to them not to shoot SKS at our american deer. I just tell them you are bringing a communist gun onto a farm owned by a korean war veteran...

13. noway

noway

{Never have hog hunted, but I know they can have a hard layer of fat and I would would be leary of a 7.62 x 39. I have seen them tip over deer and they are underpowered compared to a 30-30. You have to remember the standard 30-30 round is 170 grains and I have bought them with Nosler Partitions at one time. They are a deer wounder due to low power and low accuracy out of SKS & AK47.
    }

;Q

If our puny little handgun calibers, that generate less velocity & energy can get thru a layer of hard fat, a 7.62x39 can do the same. BTW the layer of hard fat you are talkin about is really called the "shield" and it is not really fatty like.

It (7.62x39) is on the same energy level as the 30-30 and weight of the typical projectile is 154grain if you are using the wolfammo load and numerous of hogs have been taken with rifles with less energy and less bullet.

Myself, I don't care for seeing military assualt style weapons in the woods nor care for the 7.62x39 or any other military AW caliber for hunting, but whatever floats your boat & I have no problems on what you use as long a syou do it safe and are effective with it. The 7.62x39 is more than enough for a typical S.Florida and I have known a few who have used this aganist deer and hogs with good results.At the distance the orginal poster stated, this caliber is more than enough for a hog.

14. Michigun

Well, that's were I stopped reading.......

15. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C

The only "HOG HUNTING" I ever did was back in college at about 2am when the bar was closing!
    It's about all that was left to go home with!! :)

Really I have been Hog Hunting with a .35 REMINGTON and it
    worked great. I use the same gun to hunt deer in Michigan with no
    problem. The .35 has a lot of punch but only out 100 - 130 yards is
    about all I like to shoot that gun. If I'm hunting a field and I may need to really reach out I take the 30-06.

16. El Dave

El Dave

What do you do about the loud azz safety? That's always been my only concern.

17. Castigliano

Castigliano

In defense...
    No I have never hog hunted, but some welders I work with went to North carolina on a guided hog hunt with their trusty 12 ga slug deer hunting shotguns and the guide wouldn't let them use them. He found them rifles to use since NC pigs are pretty tough to kill and the slugs don't penetrate well. Maybe the pigs are smaller breeds in different areas of the country and that does not apply everywhere. My experience comes from that heavier winter fat deer in northern Minnesota take more shock to kill than smaller warm climate deer. The fat plugs up the bullet holes so extra horsepower never hurts and you want that bullet to go out both sides. I personally give my hunting buddies grief about the "use an american gun on american deer" just to be a smart ***** and to also avoid tracking due to many sessions of tracking (and losing) wounded deer from under-powered & innaccurate SKS rifles. I am sure the round tips over pigs just fine, but I would prefer even a 30-30 over this round for the times when the shot are longer on a bigger animal.

The main reason I bothered to post was the famous quote that a 30-30 and a 7.62 x 39 have the same balastics even at 154 grain wolf ammo. NOT TRUE.
    Wolf states their 154 grain load (per their website) has 1514.1 Ft Pound energy at the muzzle.
    Looking in my federal catalog at 150 grain 3030 loads, they list the energy of 1905 ftlb at muzzle and 1455 ft lb at 100 yards. 30-30 has as much energy at 100 yards as the wolf started with and it has a better constructed bullet. Approximatley 20% more energy if you did the math.
    Soo... (as I put on my flame retardant suit) if you live in an area where your deer are bigger than puppy dogs and your pigs are meaner, pick up that 30-30 and leave the red army gun at home. You owe it to your game to make an efficient well placed killing shot.

c

18. method

method

If you're talking about an AK, you can try wrapping the safety lever in monofilament fishing line.

19. Michigun

I really doubt I could have taken that guide serious if he'd have said that to me... in fact, I do believe I would have left. If he was that ignorant on that subject, I'd be thinking he was more then likely ignorant all the way around!

I do believe I'd rate this 12-gauge kill's difficulty over any pig's: (One shot, one kill.)

[​IMG]

Nothing worth responding to here…….

20. noway

noway

{Wolf states their 154 grain load (per their website) has 1514.1 Ft Pound energy at the muzzle.
    Looking in my federal catalog at 150 grain 3030 loads, they list the energy of 1905 ftlb at muzzle and 1455 ft lb at 100 yards. 30-30 has as much energy at 100 yards as the wolf started with and it has a better constructed bullet. Approximatley 20% more energy if you did the math.
    }

hint: energy isn't the only factor that determines if it would be effective

Like michigun, I wouldn't have take that guide seriously if he told me. 12ga with slugs is a very good pig stopper and has no problem penetrating a hog. Heck magnum buckshot is a good killer close in.

Remember our weak and feeble handguns can kill a hog, I'm sure the the ak47 would.

The 7.62x39 is more than adequate at the range listed above for killing a hog, I would only be concern if the range was more or if the hog was a Hogzilla 1000lbs+ ;)