7.62 FAL rifles

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Anyone have any info on them? Where to buy, what they think if they own one?

Just saw a documentary on them and was really impressed with the platform and the history.

Are these available for consumers?

2. S9Man

S9Man

DSA makes them. I have a Springfield version that they used to import and a CAI rifle that they used to sell. I bought my CAI rifle for $500. The Springfield was $1000. I think DSA's are around $1500. Search the net, there is lots of info on them. I like mine!

3. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

A family member has a 48 also, with some Isreali Mags, a fine rifle.

The FN's are unique.

hardeyes

4. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I have a CAI. I love the gun, I picked it up for cheap a few years ago. These are supposed to be the worst of the FALs, but I have yet to have a problem. If I was to get another one it would be a DSA Para though, those things are sexy.

If you even think that you would like these guns, do your self a favor and get one.

http://www.dsarms.com/

5. Aurora

Aurora

My first rifle was a Belgian FAL,... great weapon.

Check out falfiles.com and some areas on AR15.com for more info.

V.

6. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I have a Austrian STG58 I built on a DSA receiver. It was easy to put together, I just took my time and paid attention to what I was doing. I did not need any specialty tools for it. It has an adjustable gas valve so it can be tuned for most 7.62 ammo. It has never jammed or had any problems, that was not due to bad ammo. (I bought a batch about 20 years ago that was really hot surplus stuff. It would blow the primers and they would stick in the action. It happened about 3 times with that ammo.) Other than that it has eaten everything Ive given it and asked for more. I have put close to 5K through it over the years. In the good old days I could buy surplus NATO 7.62 for $120 per 1K. Its a bit more now........:steamed: It will usually shoot between 2 and 3 inch groups at 100 yards off hand. Prices have gone way up on them. I think I spent about $500 for mine and thought that was a lot. Look at several before you buy if you have the chance. I don't know how well the Century imports work, but I have never seen one that had the fit and finish mine has. I have seen other DSA models and they all have been top notch. It is my favorite rifle, but I don't take it out and shoot it as much as my AK. I will never sell mine. I hope this helped.

7. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I have a few of them.

[​IMG]
    DSA SA58 Medium Contour (18" bbl w/ Steyr FH)

[​IMG]
    Lithgow L1A1-F1 (PNG)

[​IMG]
    G1 (built on DSA receiver)

[​IMG]
    Imbel (built on Inbel G/L receiver)

The FAL platform takes a little getting use to, but it is well worth it. They are fantastic battle rifles.

8. Morris

Morris CLM

The ONLY .308 battle rifle that fit me. And sadly, had to sell them to take care of family issues.

Great guns and there was a truly golden period of ammo, parts and mags right about 2002 or so.

If you get one, you will like it, despite the size.

9. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

The FAL has always been my choice of MBR.....DSAs are hard to come by..usually a 10 month wait. I have a DSA Para 16.5" and a STG 58(low serial # built by FN) on an Imbel Gear logo receiver. The STG is my favorite...just looks like a battle rifle.

10. Noodles McGee

Noodles McGee

I bought a SA58 early last spring. The only thing I feel like shooting anymore. Fantastic weapon.

11. Whaledriver

Whaledriver

Right Arm of the Free World!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I have an imbel carbine and also a standard barreled dsa receiver but looking for the furniture to go to a g1 or isreali for the dsa to finish it.Theres alot of variations out there.Parts for certain variations are getting harder to find in surplus places.I remember when a g1 kit with everything cept the receiver, ran just over a 100 bucks.Shouldve bought one then.

I picked the Fal over a semi only Browning BAR in 30'06, a ww2 retro.The fal is a much better choice and cheap mags still.

They are very durable rifles and can take alot of hard use.Accuracy not bad at all.Well worth getting one.

13. space_weazel

space_weazel

I have an L1A1 that I chopped to 16" and a DSA STG 18" both have been Superb!

14. chris in va

chris in va

My friend bought one about 3 years ago, new. All I remember is blowing through 2-300 rounds of VERY expensive 308 trying to get it to eject properly with various gas settings.

He eventually got it down, but took quite a while.

Personally I'm just not impressed. It's very heavy and really not something I want to try firing in a standing position. We did just about everyting on the bipod.

I'd go the Saiga route if I wanted to waste 308.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  15. Morris

Morris CLM

The 18 inch barreled PAC/Imbel gear logo receiver gun I had was capable of three inch groups at 100 yards with SA milsurp. Pretty amazing considering the FAL, ammo and all of that. Great gun . . . :(

16. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

17. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

The first rifle I built was a G-1 kit during the "Golden Years." I also have an Imbel and a Israeli-style Carbine. I love them, much more finesse than a G3 type or M-14... and IMO much more versatility.

What was the documentary, BTW?

18. TacticalBling

TacticalBling

I used to own an Imbel parts FAL, bought from Entreprise Arms. Good solid rifle, but as much as I tried to love it, the thing just didn't fit me. I find the fullsize rifles hugely barrel- and top-heavy, and it hurt my accuracy a little.

That said, I've handled the carbines since then, and VERY MUCH want to buy one. :supergrin:

My best recommendation is, do your best to try to handle the rifle design you're thinking about buying--don't buy sight unseen unless you KNOW what you want.

Good luck!

19. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

One of the sweetest weapons I own. I had a AR-15 in .308 and by comparasion of FAL VS AR10 its Ferrari vs Mustang...................
    Low recoil, very accurate, feild strips in less than 3 sec, no joke, eats any ammo you feed it with the ajustable gas settings.
    www.dsarms.com
    I have a 16 inch DSA.
    Here with NV
    [​IMG]
    Here with a 2x Aimpoint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With a EOtech
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  20. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

If you can, I'd recommend laying hands on and SHOOTING it if possible... one of the best things the FAL system has going for it is the adjustable gas system that allows you to have VERY low recoil and still retain high reliability.

My CETME is a total asskicker... it's hard to believe it's even the same round from a (somewhat) similar platform.

I'd also caution against going after a carbine for a first FAL. You really cut the balls off the cartridge by going too short. I love mine, but the Imbel is actually my favorite!

When you wield the FAL, you're just holding so much capability in your hands and I wouldn't do anything to restrict that.

Just my 2c.