1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Betcha it's a cheap round.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I've played around with 7.62x25mm in Communist Bloc pistols for several decades. It is fun to shoot, and one could do a lot worse than having a Soviet TT-33 or Chinese Type 54 auto-pistol. The latter can sometimes be found as Vietnam bring-backs, usually stamped M20. (The Czechoslovakian VZ-52 is, however, a pure design abomination.)

I've never found military surplus ammo to chrono at muzzle velocities much greater than 1600 fps tops, typically 1450 to 1600 fps. With an 86 gr bullet, that equals about 490 ft-lbf tops. I like the feed reliability that comes from the bottle-neck cartridge case, but I do not like the very over-penetrative FMJ bullet.

But wait...there's no need for Glock to produce a pistol that fires 7.62x25mm. Glock already has several pistols the fire the most excellent .357SIG bottle-neck round. Underwood 125gr JHP produces 1565 fps and 680 ft-lbf from my G31. The .357SIG JHP round has all the advantages of the 7.62x25mm round, plus much much more on the positive side, while having no known negative side except for being a few pennies more expensive.

Reactions: Ofc.JL

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I'd be happy with a 30 Luger barrel for the G19, LOL

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
If it had had the amount of development that other cartridges have had it would probably be a very good round and versatile.
I would like to see a modern pistol made in this caliber.

·
Watcher.
40,823 Posts
I'd buy one,got 4k in that caliber.'08.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It is a hot cartridge. I played around w/ it myself for a while. IIRC, there was(is?) so very overloaded surplus ammo out there(It may be all gone, we hope!) that can and has destroyed several pistols. This has been several years ago, and I don't have the details anymore. Anyone?
It might be an interesting cartridge in a Glock, but I agree, I don't think anything in the Glock stable can handle it, due to dimensions.
Better off w/ .357 SIG.

Anybody know why the Russians invented it? I believe I do.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
I've played around with 7.62x25mm in Communist Bloc pistols for several decades. It is fun to shoot, and one could do a lot worse than having a Soviet TT-33 or Chinese Type 54 auto-pistol. The latter can sometimes be found as Vietnam bring-backs, usually stamped M20. (The Czechoslovakian VZ-52 is, however, a pure design abomination.)

I've never found military surplus ammo to chrono at muzzle velocities much greater than 1600 fps tops, typically 1450 to 1600 fps. With an 86 gr bullet, that equals about 490 ft-lbf tops. I like the feed reliability that comes from the bottle-neck cartridge case, but I do not like the very over-penetrative FMJ bullet.

But wait...there's no need for Glock to produce a pistol that fires 7.62x25mm. Glock already has several pistols the fire the most excellent .357SIG bottle-neck round. Underwood 125gr JHP produces 1565 fps and 680 ft-lbf from my G31. The .357SIG JHP round has all the advantages of the 7.62x25mm round, plus much much more on the positive side, while having no known negative side except for being a few pennies more expensive.
Try the Wolf Gold, I have gotten a consistent 1,710-1,715 fps out of a TT-33 and an M-57 with it......

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Try the Wolf Gold, I have gotten a consistent 1,710-1,715 fps out of a TT-33 and an M-57 with it......
I use original military ammo in my old military weapons, so I have used Chinese, Soviet, Polish, and a couple of other sources for surplus military ammo.

IMHO, the Chinese Type 54 (or export M20) version of the TT-33 is the best handgun that has used the 7.62x25mm round. It has a chrome-lined barrel and chamber. The M20 was widely used by the north during the Vietnam war. Bring-backs usually have very little external finish remaining. But the chromed barrel lining almost always preserves the bore and chamber in like-new condition.

I don't know what a Glock design could add that would resurrect what has long been considered an obsolete round. The availability of .357SIG in current Glock pistols removes any motivation for another bottle-neck round.

·
Registered
15,465 Posts
I use original military ammo in my old military weapons, so I have used Chinese, Soviet, Polish, and a couple of other sources for surplus military ammo.

IMHO, the Chinese Type 54 (or export M20) version of the TT-33 is the best handgun that has used the 7.62x25mm round. It has a chrome-lined barrel and chamber. The M20 was widely used by the north during the Vietnam war. Bring-backs usually have very little external finish remaining. But the chromed barrel lining almost always preserves the bore and chamber in like-new condition.

I don't know what a Glock design could add that would resurrect what has long been considered an obsolete round. The availability of .357SIG in current Glock pistols removes any motivation for another bottle-neck round.

Of the available Tok's, I have always been a fan of the M-57; the longer grip seems to balance the pistol just a little better;

If you get a chance, try the newer commercial x25 stuff, you will not be sorry......

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I think Glock ought to do a gun in .356TSW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts