Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here load this round?
I have a few dozen mil surp rounds left in my stash, and this year received a Lee Pacesetter Die set for this cartridge and 50 unprimed new cases.
I would like to find some cast bullet loads, but so far haven't had any luck. My Lyman Cast bullet manual does not list it, nor does the 50th Anniversary Lyman manual.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I helped a buddy work up a load for his K31. Reloder 17 under a 168 gr SMK hpbt was the winner.

We didn't do anything with cast bullets, but NOE has a mold designed for a K31 throat, if that's the rifle in question.

·
Wood butcher
2,390 Posts
I've only used reduced loads for 100 yd shooting in my K31. I use a 170 grain lead under 10 grains of Red Dot.

Probably not what you want, but a pleasure to shoot, very accurate and when you learn to take that bolt apart, you'll get a whole new appreciation for Swiss precision.

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,597 Posts

·
Wood butcher
2,390 Posts
norton,

This is a good article on the K31, but not so much about cast bullets for this excellent military surplus rifle.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2019/10/17/the-75-swiss-a-reputation-for-precision/

It’s one of my favorite rifles to shoot! They are so well built and fortunately not worn out since they probably weren’t in combat.

Steve
Many have a "soldiers tag" behind the butt stock. If you look, many also have shown some rot about 2" up from the bottom. As I understand it, they used the "hook" under the bbl to create a "tripod" during training when snow was on the ground as not to have lay them down.

Not sure how much they are now, but I bought mine in 2007 for $149.

Reactions: Taterhead and SBray

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
We have a K-31, the son took a deer a few years back on the youth hunt with it. It’s sorta in the 308 power realm.

I usually keep my loads fairly mild, older gun, casual range shooting. With that in mind H-4895 offers a wide charge range.

·
Wood butcher
2,390 Posts
I agree on the .308 as it' the same bullet diameter and the case is very close. That said, I stick with lead and that reduced load so that it can be shot nearly forever without worry of wearing it out. Just me, but if full power is desired or warranted, I'll use my .308.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many have a "soldiers tag" behind the butt stock. If you look, many also have shown some rot about 2" up from the bottom. As I understand it, they used the "hook" under the bbl to create a "tripod" during training when snow was on the ground as not to have lay them down.

Not sure how much they are now, but I bought mine in 2007 for $149.
I bought mine at about the same time and paid right at $150. It does have a very nice trigger for a mil surp.
My tag listed a city, not a name.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts