Glock Talk banner

6x45 anyone have one??

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GLShooter 
#1 ·
For all the wildcat rounds in the ar platform this one seems really plug and play.

From what i read you simply form a .223 case to 6mm with a 6mm ppc die. Shoulder stays the same and everything. Then swap the barrel on the rifle, no mag or bolt changes etc.

Info seems kind of difficult to find, id be interested in things such as the long range accuracy potential of this round.

So what do you have to say!? Ever shoot the 6x45?

Figure we could use a discussion on this round verses the normal 6.5 vs. 6.8.

#2 ·
I don't have a 6x45 AR-15, but I hunted for several years with the 6x45 in a Handgun (both a Custom Remington XP-100 and Custom T/C Contenders with 15" Barrels). However I would dearly love to have an AR-15 Upper Receiver Assembly chambered in 6x45.

In the Handguns I used a variety of bullets for my hunting needs, from 60gr. Sierra Hollow Points to 70gr. Hornady SX to 80gr. Speer Hot Core Spitzers. With H-322 Powder with the 80gr. Speer Hot Core Spitzers I was able to achieve 2650 FPS from the 15" Handguns using resized Military .223 (5.56) Brass. I took a couple of Whitetail Deer out to ranges of 300 yards with this load in the Handguns and it worked quite well. I used the lighter bullets for Varmint shooting with the 6x45 Handguns.

Mike at Dedicated Technologies in Bemidgi Minnesota has made a lot of 6x45 AR Uppers and has hunted with them for years. If I remember right Mike uses the 85gr. Nosler Partition when Hunting Whitetail Deer with the 6x45.

In reality the 6x45 is a great cartridge that often gets overlooked in favor of more popular cartridges.

Larry

PS Mike is also working on a 6.8 SPC necked down to 6mm with the only other change to the cartridge being the shoulder angle. Mike took a 4x4 Whitetail Buck with his this year shooting an 85gr. Nosler Partition at 3000 FPS. If I remember right he is calling it the 6mm DTI.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply sd handgunner!

I might have to give him a call and see if he will sell just barrels. :)

I am really surprised that of all the wildcat cartridges, this one has not taken off! Pretty much change the barrel for 30% more energy. Plus 6mm has been know to be very accurate.

#5 ·
I've got two AR 6X45's. (Actually one is mu wifes')

Mine is a 20" unknown barrel that I have been using since 1991. It was built for long range steel at IPSC matches. I use the 87 grain Hornady HPBTM bullet in it over a heavy charge of 748. Accuracy hovers at 1". I shoot it in the Police Games here yearly and it has taken home it's share of Gold and has served me well at the IPSC 3 Gun Nationals. Mine also has an Aim Point on mounted out front on the hand guard for up close down and dirty targets.

The wife has a 17" full custom done up with a Shilen SS match barrel with a custom comp. Mild heavy barrel that has been fluted. Groups a bit less than MOA. She uses the 87's also although I have shot some prairie dogs with it with the 55's that works very well. Hers was built in 1993 as a gift from our gunsmith for her. I have used it in a few carbine matches also.

Both guns use NM hand guards and are flattops. I run a 4.5X14X50 AO Leupold and she runs a 3X9X40 Leupold. Triggers are about two pounds done by our 'smith.

I have an extra 6X45 barrel in the closet from OLY that I need to put to use at some point. Loading ammo is a snap. Buy the Hornady New Dimension Dies as they are one heck of a lot cheaper than the RCBS stuff. You can neck the 223 up with a 6MM mandrel from Sinclair but that doesn't let you go back and reload the brass.

Since all it takes is a barrel swap this is the easy way to get in to a bigger bullet and the brass is SO cheap!! LOL

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.