close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

666 Posts! (+1)

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Nightspell, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Nightspell

Nightspell Avid Nudist

Hahaha, 666 posts on the eve of Halloween! It's a sign!

Of what... I'm not sure.

2. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;g OK, you never really know what to believe – do you? I picked up two superstitions from my maternal grandmother: One is a dread fear of peacocks; and the other is the firm conviction that 666 represents incipient evil - sometimes incarnate!

Why, you might ask? Well, she was a poor Irish orphan who immigrated, here, in the 1880’s. One of her earliest childhood memories was of the elegant and noisy peacocks that used to roam the splendid lawn areas on some of Ireland’s magnificent estates. I believe she saw these birds as symbols of oppressive privilege and extraordinary possession.

As to the 666? Quite honestly I can say that there is no occasion in my life when I have encountered this number that it didn’t portend the immediate arrival of very bad luck. The last time I ignored this warning I was nearly killed.

Case in point: One evening I was shopping at a local store. It was the only supermarket for miles around; and the entire neighborhood depended on it for provision. The cashier rang up my change and gasped; ‘Oh, my God!’ ‘I really need this job!’ When I asked her what was wrong, she replied; ‘I’m going to be, either, fired or the store is going to go out of business!’

I tried to reassure her that she was being silly and had nothing to fear from handing me $6.66 in change. She was obviously an impressionable young girl and remained, ‘wide-eyed’ in spite of my repeated reassurances to the contrary. I really tried to calm her down and spent a few minutes encouraging her to have more faith and not be so gullible. She wouldn’t, however, listen to me. She rang up a customer or two while we talked and, all the while, seemed to become more visibly depressed. I finally gave up; and, hoping to end the conversation on a, ‘happy note’, we laughed and said, ‘goodnight’.

As I walked home with my wife we joked, together, about this silly girl. I remember saying; ‘You know, my grandmother was the same way!’ At around 3:00am that morning we were suddenly awakened by loud sounds and a strange orange glow against the sky. The dogs were alarmed and kept making alert short barks. We went up on the roof to look downtown; and, wow, the entire block-long supermarket was a roaring conflagration. Flames were rising 40 or 50 feet into the air! When the roof expanse collapsed the roaring sound became terrific! Needless to say, we were amazed; and I was (peculiarly) speechless!

That young lady did, in fact, lose her job; and our entire neighborhood ended up having to travel 7 or 8 miles to the other side of town in order to do our one-stop grocery shopping. The other time that I nearly got killed I don’t want to talk about, other than to say; ‘If I’d paid attention I could have avoided the entire incident!’ (It was like The Hand Of God warning me not to proceed; but, once again, I didn’t listen!) ;P