650 9MM cases hanging up

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ponce, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Ponce

Ponce

I don't have my manual in front of me. But is there a fix to the ejection spring / wire. When I am decapping 9MM brass prior to wet tumbleing about every 3rd to 5th case gets jammed in the last station. This only happens when decapping not when loading and primary on 9mm only.

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Possibility of going too fast.

by any chance did you reshape the wire.

Did you remove the primer punch? If you did don't besides installing primers it is also a stop.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

3. Ponce

Ponce

I haven't bent the wire or removed the primer punch. The only die installed is the Lee universal decapper. It happens at any speed. When it happens I lower the head a hair and hand remove the case.

4. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I am not sure if it is the same issue, but when decapping on my LNL the spent primer will sometimes not completely fall free of the case. This will cause the press to hang.

Grabbing and giggling the case will usually cause it to drop out. I have the die and pin as low as it will go, but it still happens.

I have no real solution for you. However, I bet that is what you're experiencing.

5. unclebob

I had the same problem a long time ago. Not for sure too many years ago but i think i changed the ejector wire and the problem went away. Also check the shell plate that there is no crud where the case fits in and also the shell plate is not overly loose or tight.

6. crockett

crockett

Is your shell plate bolt tight? Is the wire sitting too high? You might have to open up the shell plate a bit on the corners to help it eject sooner. Call Dillon, they might have an updated shell plate for 9mm.

7. Ponce

Ponce

I think my wire is high if I push it down it helps.

8. unclebob

That is why I suggested in replacing the ejecter wire. The wire keeps working it's way back up. The higth and angle affects the ejection.

9. Ponce

Ponce

Just an update. I called Dillon and as expected great customer service, they sent 2 ejector springs they made it from AZ to NC in 2 days. Installed 1 of the new springs and the problem was solved.