64 bit Quad core build ?'s

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Sep 30, 2007.

1. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I am looking into the feasibility of building a Vista 64bit quad core system.

I am going to use an Intel Q6600 processor

I am getting overwhelmed looking for a MB. I need a 64 bit, Quad core, Vista compatible Micro ATX MB. On board sound and video would be nice, and save me some $ upfront. I will be adding a video card on at some point, but as long as the onboard will run Aero, I will be happy for now.

I am looking for true performance here. Not really a gamming PC, more of a 3D modeling, DVD ripping, and showing off to friends PC :supergrin:

I am hoping that when I am done I can copy DVD's as fast as I can change disks! :banana: :thumbsup: :shocked:

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Check the board specs carefully. Only a few micro ATX boards have DVI-D and/or HDMI ports. Also you will want it to have hefty voltage regulator for the quad core. This also requires a fairly hefty power supply which aren't many for the small micro type cases.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Most of the Windows programs available are 32 bit so I'm not sure a 64 bit Windows system would help much. Also there aren't many good drivers for 64 bit Windows some for XP and even fewer for Vista. You could run 64 bit Linux or both Linux and Windows.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

5. havensal

I am reusing an old Compaq case with an Ultra 600W PSU .

The computer has a Micro ATX MB in it, but I am not sure if a standard ATX will bolt up. If I have to, I can buy a new case pretty cheap. That may be a better option just to allow better ventilation.

I am trying to keep the build cost to a minimum buy reusing the old case and the PSU and DVD drives I just put in it a few months back. ;)

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay now I understand. I have had old Compaq's with micro ATX boards too. The mounting screw holes should be the same as a standard full size ATX board. The Compaq's like that I've seen look like they will take full size ATX board. Some older Dell's use a special size board in between micro and full size and those Dell cases won't take a full size ATX board but the screw holes are the same. I think the Compaq will take a full size ATX board though. You con usually see extra PCI card expansion slots on the back of the case that go are below the lever of the installed micro ATX board.

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Ya know, that outta be about as speedy as a single core 32-bit XP system ...provided you build it with 16 gigs of RAM. :rofl:

Sorry, I hate it when the Antis hijack a thread, but I couldn't help but ponder the question of how stout a Vista system you'd have to build before it'd run on par with a middling XP box.

8. havensal

I want to compare XP64 to Vista64 at some point. :thumbsup:

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

11. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I decided to try XP Pro 64 and of course since I was a gammer I discovered all the non exsistant drivers out there.

I went back XP pro.

You are a braver man than I if you want to run Vista 64.

;)

Stay with XP pro 32bit.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If you aren't concerned with running Windows games Linux has been making 64 bit versions longer than Windows and runs really well these days.

13. havensal

OK, I think I am going to pick up a new case. I think I am going to a full ATX rather than the micro, for more expansion room.

Any recommendations on a good, well ventilated case?

There are a ton out there, and I am having a hard time choosing.

I am thinking about THIS ONE from NEW EGG .

Looks like a sturdy, well ventilated case. I am not loking for a piece or art here, I even thought of building my own out of wood, just to be different. :supergrin:

Now for a more loaded question, How much is enough airflow? I am not planning to do a lot of OCing or get a mammoth video card. I like the idea of a side vent pointing right at the processor. I may use the stock HSF, but I may get an after market one, I haven't decided yet.

Do you think 2-120mm fans will suffice? I am looking to replace the ones that come with the case if they are to loud. I may run some sort of controller if I have to.