close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

629 Backpacker value questions...

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by frogger17, Jul 2, 2006.

1. frogger17

frogger17

I have a S&W model 629 backpacker and I was wondering how to find out how much it is worth? I have read about different generations of these things, but don't really understand how to tell them apart. Where is the serial number on this thing?

Anyone know where I can look to find out about my gun once I find the serial number?

Thanks.

2. frogger17

frogger17

Duh, I found the serial number and exact model, it is a 629-4 SN BRLxxx. I seem to remember buying it around 1994. Anyone have a clue as to it's worth? I have put less than 100 rounds through it, and it looks brand new. Don't have the box though. (It came in cardboard.)

3. uncowboy

uncowboy

Well does it have adj sights and what length bbl? There were 3 different 629's Tunnle rat - backpacker and mountain gun. The tunnle rat was the shortest bbl with fixed sights and verry limmited production,They bring the most money to collectors. The backpacker had a tapered bbl but everyone seemed to want the Mountain gun and that put an end to the backpacker. They are still a nice gun but I have seen prices cover a wide span.Not having the box will hurt your value to a colector . It is one of those guns you have to put out there and waite for someone who really wants or needs it to find your add. J.Michael

4. frogger17

frogger17

It has the 3" untapered barrel. I understood this to be the backpacker and the one with the tapered barrel (and thus lighter) to be the mountain gun. This thing is just like a "normal" 629, only shorter, no weight reduction or tapering. It has adjustable rear sights. The local gun shop is going to put it on consignment for me for $500. He said it ought to go for that price as they go for 650-700 new. I am hoping that it sells so I can get the glock 19. =)