629-4 3"

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hogship, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I looked at a Smith 629-4, 3", unfluted cylinder, FP on hammer, slanted cylinder latch, no lock, stamped lettering, today.

It looked to be high 90's condition.

Price was $799, probably some dickering room. (This place doesn't bargain a lot, but would budge some for a regular customer like me.)

Price seems high, but this does seem like a unique offering......or, is it?

This isn't a Mountain Gun. I've only seen one other like it with the unfluted cylinder and very short barrel, but it's been some time ago.

Anyone know anything about this?

Got an idea of date of manufacture?

Let me know......

hog

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

It is a rare variation. That is a realistic price for a good condition discontinued N frame. I am a 625 guy and they are all $800 or better now. If you want it I would get the best price they offer and jump on it.
    Good luck.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

While that is a fair amount of money, it sounds about right for this revolver, in excellent condition.

I have a 3" 629-1; one of the 'Lew Horton Special' revolvers made for Lew Horton Distributing, during the late 1980's

Shooting full power 44 magnum loads in a 3" barrel 629 is kind of exciting, to say the least. I reload to 44 Special levels for my 3" 629.

I have some 200gr JHP's loaded to about 500 ft/ lbs/ of energy, for SD. That's about my limit for comfort, in the short barrel 44 magnum.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. I would love to own a 629 with the unfluted cylinder, to keep the one I have company.

4. trover

trover CLM

I suspect you'll regret the short barrel. That's a lot of firepower.

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

It sounds cool, you should get it and post pics hogship. :thumbsup:

6. Big_Steve

Big_Steve

Trail Boss?

Click

I have been on the hunt for one of these for the past 7-8 years. Local dealers all quoted prices >$1000, which I couldn't really swing. I finally found one locally for a decent price with 450 rounds of factory ammo and jumped on it. In fact I am leaving in a couple hours to go do the PPT. I believe they did make some of these without the internal lock, but am not sure.

Hope it helps.

7. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Hi Big Steve......

It did look very similar to the Trail Boss, but didn't have a stud below the grip, or a red ramp front sight. I just don't know that much about them, but I'd say it probably wasn't a Trail Boss......that's just my guess.

Anyway, I've decided to not go back to check on this revolver.

Sooner, or later, I'd like to have a short barreled, big bore, double action revolver again.....but, the timing isn't right for me to get this one.

thanks to all

hog