61 percent support abolishing the Electoral College

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Gundude, Sep 24, 2020.

1. evlbruce

evlbruce

The way CA is imploding no need to ask, just go outside and flag down a car full of CA economic refugees.

2. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

If Hillary had won by electoral college with Trump winning the popular vote, this wouldn’t even be a story.

Classic leftism. We lost the game, so therefore the game is unjust and the rules must change.

Let’s see what happens in a few months. If Biden edges Trump via the EC stories like this will disappear.

3. railfancwb

railfancwb

Make “None of the Above” a ballot requirement for all elective offices at all
    levels of government. If it wins, that position stays empty until the next regularly scheduled election in which that position would appear. Imagine! Four years without a President and Vice President. Third in line succession would not apply.

4. railfancwb

railfancwb

Doesn’t the Constitution - whatever that is - say that DC cannot become a state? In fact, letting people set in Congress from DC - even without voting privileges - probably violates the Constitution. And giving DC electoral votes...

If, however, DC is made a state, that should end its participation in the federal budget.

5. QNman

QNman Old timer

That is what doctors call "projection". Conservatives respect the actual Constitution, as written. Leftists respect the Constitution, as they interpret it.

6. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

The Electoral College may well have been a compromise solution, but it was a brilliant one. Small states wouldn't have any political pull without it.

7. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

8. DrewBone

DrewBone

It was probably the staff of illegal aliens who worked a recent BBQ over at Pelosi's house who were polled.

9. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

... and in related news... 61% of US Citizens can’t spell Electoral College or even begin to explain how it works.

[​IMG]

10. Kentak

Kentak

Care to explain, please? In both 2008 and 2012, Obama won both the electoral and popular votes handily--by about 10 million votes in '08 and about 5 million votes in '12. The results of the EC and popular votes did not conflict. How is that like the hypothetical I put forth?

11. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Southern CA, Chicago, and NYC will dictate to each other. No-one else is going to play their game.

12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

[​IMG]

cityborncountrylivin likes this.
  13. Kentak

Kentak

Oh, I agree completely. The point is, many on both sides have situational principles. A case in point is the reversal of many republicans stance regarding acting on a SCOTUS vacancy during an election year. Against it for Obama, for it for Trump.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  14. pugman

pugman

I'll be willing to bet that same percentage (or more) has 1) no idea who Pence is 2) can't name their Congress person or 3) any of their state senators

People spend more time picking out the paint color for a room than the people who rule them...yes I said rule. And hell, you can change the color of a room in a day...imagine we could do this with politicans?

And I support this idea. All it will take is one election for this silent majority I keep hearing about to quickly realize their vote, and the 30 state's votes Trump won in 2016 simply don't matter and maybe we turn this thing around or we finally get those successions I keep hearing about.

15. JohnnyE

JohnnyE

No, it doesn't.

COTUS article I, sec. 8, says in part:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States...

The statehood proposals I've seen would greatly reduce the federal district down to the mall, capitol, white house, and other building that are the core of the federal presence, and turn the rest over to, IIRC, New Columbia, a new state. We'd still have federally-controlled District of Columbia, but no longer a nearly 69 square mile DC.

Interestingly, DC had been a full 100 square miles until 1847 when the 31 square miles Virginia originally ceded to DC were retroceded to Virginia. There have been some proposals that if DC were to shrink, instead of creating New Columbia, the land should be given back to Maryland.

16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

That would actually be constitutional.

17. ked

ked

Some likely would, but not a large percentage.

18. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

True. If the pollsters took the time to explain why we have the electoral college I’d say at least 90% of those polled would be in favor of it.