GlockTalk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
26,211 Posts
Again, I'm sorry you can't afford them.

If you could, you would likely make a thread singing their praises...
If it's something I need, then I will afford it. I never understood the value of purchasing something and not using it.

·
Glocks are your friend
748 Posts
$250-300 would be my personal limit. Most expensive knife I have bought is my microtech UTX85 for $250ish shipped and my benchmade bailout M4 blade and aluminum handle for just over $200. I do have several $100-200 knives that are plenty capable of my needs. For $600 , it would just be a safe queen for me. I can see $600 for some knives based on material, fit and finish, etc.

·
The eBay Guy
20,324 Posts
If it's something I need, then I will afford it. I never understood the value of purchasing something and not using it.
They're not all safe queens...

Many folks in this thread use their high dollar knives. But, since you can't afford them, you bash the idea of spending that much on a knife.

Also, this has nothing to do with not using the knife, since the post you quoted said nothing about not using them. For all you know, he edc one of them... This was just your way of deflecting.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Why do you think people don't use these knives? I carry my boot knives when ever I have have my boots on. The others i use when I go hunting. I know that is a short time each year but I do take one camping about 1 time a mth.

·
NRA Life Member
63,420 Posts
Many years ago, I worked part time at a knife store. We had some very high end knives. One of them was THE knife that Sylvester Stallone used in the first Rambo movie. It was priced at $1000.00. I remember selling it to a gentleman who said it was going to be a gift.
The original maker of that knife, Jimmy Lile, now offers a "utility" and a "presentation" model. The "utility" model, for guys that just want something to knock around in the woods, is only $1,995.00. The "presentation" model is another $500 above that.
https://jimmylile.com/knives/lile-model-fb-knives/

Just for nostalgia's sake, I recently bought a copy of it made in Germany, once I found one for under $40.

I'm not sure Jimmy Lile's knife is really $1,955 better.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,773 Posts
The original make of that knife, Jimmy Lile, now offers a "utility" and a "presentation" model. The "utility" model, for guys that just want something to knock around in the woods, is only $1,995.00. The "presentation" model is another $500 above that.
https://jimmylile.com/knives/lile-model-fb-knives/

Just for nostalgia's sake, I recently bought a copy of it made in Germany, once I found one for under $40.

I'm not sure Jimmy Lile's knife is really $1,955 better.
That's one ugly knife.

These were all the rage when I was a kid, not much better to look at.

·
NRA Life Member
63,420 Posts
That's one ugly knife.

These were all the rage when I was a kid, not much better to look at.

My little brother had that exact knife when he was a youngster.

My $40 "rambo knife"
wildernesssurvival.JPG

Jimmy Lile's $2,000 Rambo knife

·
Garbage Day!
9,395 Posts
I used to lust after the original Rambo knife. A few things about it, though:

1) What can you realistically saw through with that saw-back? In the time it takes to saw through a small branch or whatever, you could probably just hack through it enough to break it off. Also, if you were to stab someone with it, the angle of the blades could make it hard to pull back out. Think of a fish-hook.

2. We all thought it was cool to have a hollow handle filled with waterproof matches and fishing line and what-all else, but

a] that's all stuff that could be carried elsewhere in your pack, and more of it than can be carried in a knife handle

b] a knife with essentially a piece of pipe for a handle really doesn't index and handle as well as a knife that's more contoured to the human hand

c] To HAVE a hollow handle, by definition it won't be a full-tang blade. The tang ends where the handle starts, creating a weak spot if you ever have to pry something with it.

I'd rather just carry all that handle-stuff elsewhere on my person and have a good full-tang bush knife- something like an ESEE 5 or Ontario Afghan- but to each their own.

·
Varmit Control
7,129 Posts
That is the same logic as leaving a Wilson 1911 in the safe to carry a Bryco or Jennings pistol for EDC.

But if I lose that $10 knife(which I have often done), or have it taken by the police(I have had 6 confiscated by troopers at motorcycle road blocks), I won't feel nearly as suicidal as I would if I lost a $1000 knife.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
That is the same logic as leaving a Wilson 1911 in the safe to carry a Bryco or Jennings pistol for EDC.
I would carry my Ruger SR1911 before a Bryco or Jennings pistol, but whatever.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The only high dollar knife I own is a grohmann #1 I got off ebay for many $80. I is my favorite general purpose knife. I also have a case old timer than was just under $50 if I remember right.

The case was meant to be my only pocket knife, something to hand down to my kids, but it usually ends up playing second fiddle to my opinel. My grohmann however is my favorite knife. Theway the handle and blade is shaped are just right for my hands. After a long day of using it (like during apple season) I don't have any blisters on my hands. If I use a standard kitchen knife, I always jet a blister on my index finger from leaving it along side the spine of the knife.

That said, I would be perfectly happy with a $20 mora knife, and my usual pocket knife is just an opinel #6 which is excellent for general slicing.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
So the real question is it any better than a $100 knife? Not really, it's a status symbol in my opinion.
Tommy, my main mentor said his standard was to not buy additional equipment unless the new equipment was 10% better than what he already owned.

1. I own a Spyderco Paramilitary 1. It was purchased new, years ago. It wasn't 10% better than the Spyderco Endura I already owned. So, I didn't buy any more.
2. Even as late as a year ago, I was able to buy a used Spyderco Endura for about $20. The new ones were going for about $75. The used one was cheap because it was described as dull. i sharpened it. The difference between the used and the new wasn't 10%. Now the used ones are going for $40.
3. Sometimes there might be an emotional attachment to a knife. I used to "borrow" a little Case knife to play Mumbly Peg. This was a game every kid in elementary school used to play. Today, you would be expelled and sent to a psychologist for 6 counseling sessions. So, after looking at some used ones on the internet, I bought new, and I didn't pay even $60 - and this was splurging for me.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,773 Posts
Tommy, my main mentor said his standard was to not buy additional equipment unless the new equipment was 10% better than what he already owned.

1. I own a Spyderco Paramilitary 1. It was purchased new, years ago. It wasn't 10% better than the Spyderco Endura I already owned. So, I didn't buy any more.
2. Even as late as a year ago, I was able to buy a used Spyderco Endura for about $20. The new ones were going for about $75. The used one was cheap because it was described as dull. i sharpened it. The difference between the used and the new wasn't 10%. Now the used ones are going for $40.
3. Sometimes there might be an emotional attachment to a knife. I used to "borrow" a little Case knife to play Mumbly Peg. This was a game every kid in elementary school used to play. Today, you would be expelled and sent to a psychologist for 6 counseling sessions. So, after looking at some used ones on the internet, I bought new, and I didn't pay even $60 - and this was splurging for me.

The PM2 is arguably the best EDC knife Spyderco ever made and it's hands down, indisputably better than the Endura in just about every category. It sounds like you quit trying to find "better" because it is most CERTAINLY not the Endura in Spyderco Land. It is merely the entrance to the castle.

I'm so certain of this I'll give you a PM2 that you can keep as long as it takes to change your mind.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The Bahco knife I bought on sale for $3 - it was so sharp I didn't like using it - afraid I would cut off an arm - it has lost some of its sharpness but is still real sharp.--
The Bahco (aka Mora) is one of the best knives per dollar I have owned. Great for slicing tomatoes and onions--something that not all knives are good at. I first found out about Bahco here in GT. Thanks to whomever that was.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts