GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Many years ago, I worked part time at a knife store. We had some very high end knives. One of them was THE knife that Sylvester Stallone used in the first Rambo movie. It was priced at $1000.00. I remember selling it to a gentleman who said it was going to be a gift.

·
Registered
96 Posts
View attachment 855428

Bill Bagwell. Custom made just for me after a long conversation with him. I got a significant discount because I was an active Marine Grunt at the time. I paid $500 back then. About $1100 in inflation adjusted dollars. Market value is many times that now because of scarcity.

If I’m standing naked and alone at the end of the Apocalypse I will have three things with me. A Dover Cap from Lock and Co. My Rolex And this knife.
Beautiful. I am a huge fan of Bagwell knives, and am glad to see one in this thread. Very cool that you got to meet/speak with him, and you have this fantastic memento!

·
Registered
13,343 Posts
It was my great great great grandfather's. He fought for South Carolina in the war. Mommy knows all about him, his unit and so forth, because she is in the UDC.
You need to get your Mom to write down everything she knows about your GG. I spent years trying to track down my own GG's service in the Civil War. I imagine if your GG was a Confederate it will be even more difficult to find information. Her knowledge could be invaluable to others that might follow in your lineage.

·
Registered
27,149 Posts
Well, I can't think of a reason to spend more than maybe $200, max, for any particular knife, but I've not spent more than $140 for anything that I can recall. (My Randall 8" All-Purpose Fighting Knife was a gift from family many years ago.)

I have some older knives that are probably worth a lot more than I paid for them way back when.

For the longest time I'd forgotten that I have a Hobbit Fang neck knife (with sheath, of course), back when it was made by the defunct Round Eye Knife and Tool Company, for example.

Ditto an old Gerber MkII and MkI, made at the beginning of the 70's.

Some Rigid knives, folders and fixed.

And some others tucked away in my collection, starting back when I was first interested in buying knives at the end of the 60's, and through subsequent years when I was building my collection of interesting blades.

I wish I'd picked up some more VN era fighting knifes, such as the budget Western Bowie and the more costly Bill Moran blades.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,331 Posts
Reactions: norton

·
Registered
26,186 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We all know that there are just differences in how people value different things. I like guns, but years ago I was friends with a physician that had a matched set of custom made Baretta side by side shotguns (don't recall the gauges) that if I recall, cost him over $20,000. They were really nice looking guns, in beautiful wood cases lined with velvet, etc. but no way in the world would I have considered them worth what was then about a year's income for me. I had a relative that collected some types of pottery and paid a fortune for certain items that to me just looked like little flower pots. So I can understand some folks just loving their knives while others see nothing special in them at all.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Some people buy Kias and some buy Ferraris, both will get you to the office. OK, maybe if you buy the Ferrari, you drive something else to office most days, or just look at it in the garage.

Same with knives.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
You need to get your Mom to write down everything she knows about your GG. I spent years trying to track down my own GG's service in the Civil War. I imagine if your GG was a Confederate it will be even more difficult to find information. Her knowledge could be invaluable to others that might follow in your lineage.
It is all on file with the UDC. Everything was verified when Grandma joined.

Reactions: TBO and norton

·
It ain't over
7,983 Posts
original.jpg
A neighbor/friend was the foreman on the crew that built my house. He then got out of building to become a fairer. I didn't know there was enough work to make a living as a fairer - guess i was wrong.

Then one night another friend called to tell me the guy, Cody Hosommer, was on TV. Forged in Fire. He was making knives - beautiful (Damascus?) blades. He told me someone stole two knives from his table at a gun show - he doesn't do shows anymore.

Check them out... I wonder what he gets for a knife?

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...MEc2VjA3Nj?p=cody+hofsommer+knives&fr=yfp-t-s

It appears his $2000 knives are all sold out!

www.hofsommerforge.com

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
It just a blade to cut something with, or stab something with. It's story ads value if owned by famous person it become valuable, it's value increases if made by an in vogue blade smith, like supply & demand effects value.

Swiss Army Knives have a following? Why? They do many thing poor, nothing well.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I learned my lesson with a Swiss Army knife about 65 years ago when I was 12. I had a multi blade knife that included a knife, fork and spoon. I took it on a Boy Scout hike instead of taking tableware, thinking I had all I needed right in my pocket. Then when I went to cut a piece of meat, I realized that a knife and fork on the same tool just was not what I needed. Lesson learned. Years later I received a really nice Swiss Army Knife as a gift, which I then re-gifted to one of my kids who wanted it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It is not like I need another hobby - but I am a little surprised - folks pay $600 for a hunting knife?

WTH am I missing -
All that you are missing is an appreciation for well crafted knives and an understanding for those people who have values for "stuff" which differs from your own. Neither of you is right and neither wrong; just different.

That appreciation for those type knives is no different than an appreciation for fine autos, fine 1911 handguns, fine watches, fine shotguns or any other well crafted item. Just because you don't have a honed appreciation for these items doesn't mean they are overpriced in any way.

Currently on Glock Talk there is a thread from BAC about his new Atlas Gunworks Hyperion handgun, which I had never even heard of before. A quick look on their website shows the retail on these handguns to be $5,000 or plus. I would never, ever spend that much on a handgun, but I can appreciate the gun itself and BACs wanting and buying one. However, earlier this year I did spend a bit more than that on a nice mid-range Italian O/U shotgun, but that's different. Right?

Same as the current thread on this Okie Corral about gun guys liking quality watches. A watch in the league of those shown and mentioned in that thread is something I never wanted for myself when I was younger and couldn't afford one anyway or now when I can pretty much afford any watch I want. What I use is a Casio G Shock for non-dress wear and a older $120 Seiko watch from Sam's Club for a dress watch. But, I don't wonder in amazement at those who own high end watches.

Early in my work career I knew a man who owned a $5,000 Rolex, a gift from his wife. He was a mechanic and she a secretary. This was in the latter 70's and you can imagine what that watch took out of their salary that year. Both he and she thought it was worth it, and I thought their appreciation for that watch was great. Had I inherited that same watch from a rich uncle I would have sold it to buy something I wanted and valued a whole lot more.

Bottom line is that different people have different values for "stuff" and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,676 Posts
I EDC a Swiss Army knife. You guys are apparently buying the wrong ones because I find mine invaluable :supergrin:

VicPliers.jpg

Reactions: rlewpolar

·
Registered
943 Posts
I find it hilarious that people who poopoo $600 knives (or much more expensive) then at the same time saying that their knives cost $100-200.

Here's a hint: you can get a perfectly capable knife for $10-50.

121 - 140 of 199 Posts