65,046 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
19,025 Posts
Reactions: TBO

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Well the combo of late night knife shopping and bourbon has got me again. I never even bother to look at the size of the Kershaw Launch 9, I just liked the blue color. I ended up giving it to my wife to fool with. The Spyderco Bug I knew was tiny but it’s not even good as a keychain knife. At least that was only $21. :crying:
3BF03EE8-5449-4EAE-B0E7-7A576ADD2DFA.jpeg

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The most I ever paid for a knife was about $35, which was for the folding Kershaw I carry everyday. I've never seen knives as something to collect, but then again, I don't see guns in this way either. Only one gun that I have has even a smidgen of sentimental type value that I keep even though I have no real use for it, a S&W Model 19.

But my wife has spent up to about $200 for some of her Japanese cooking knives. (When I lived in my own apartment years ago while the family lived in our home about 2 hours away, until we sold the home and bought a new one where I was working) I bought a couple of supermarket knives for about $10 each. My wife got mad at me when I told her that these cheap knives seem to work just as well in the kitchen as her $200 knives.)

·
NRA Life Member
64,196 Posts
I was at a Gun and knife show today - been to a hundred of them - never paid much attention to the knives - nothing against knives - just one of the many things I don't know much about.

I was trying to sell some ammo - the table next to the ammo dealer was full of knives - and the negotiation went something like this - S = seller B = buyer

S - I can't go less than $800 for either of those -

B - Maybe I would pay $600 -

S - I could do both for $1,250

B - wait - is that rust?

S - no blood - the last guy that picked it up cut his finger.

B - How about $900 for both -

S - I can do $1,250 for both

B - How about $1,200 for both?

S - $1,225 - for both can't go lower

B - I will take them -

They looked like hunting knives - I meant to go back and look but it slipped my mind -

It is not like I need another hobby - but I am a little surprised - folks pay $600 for a hunting knife?

WTH am I missing -
$600 knives are pretty common. At a gun show you will typically see guys selling Randalls and $600 would be near the bottom of the price range. You can get the same knives from Randall for a lot less, but their wait list currently extendeds to 2026, so you pay a few hundred to skip the wait.

I see knives I sold for $150-250 a few years ago going for $400-500 now. I'm not a knife collector, so I don't use anything that expensive. I wish I still had the Chris Reeve Shadow I bought and sold for around $250. They are currently $500-1,000 on eBay.

Reactions: nrajeff and Z71bill

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
There are quite a few people that are into these high end priced knives. $300 is the highest I would ever go, personally but I sold a lot of 4 Max Cold Steels and Various San Mai's that are higher priced.
Zero Tolerance, Bench Made (which I would never own, do to their assisting in destruction of thousands of guns) Christopher Reeves and Randalls all have knives in that price range.
So the real question is it any better than a $100 knife? Not really, it's a status symbol in my opinion.
I can tell you I never broke a knife, but I lost $600+ worth....

·
The eBay Guy
20,635 Posts
Well the combo of late night knife shopping and bourbon has got me again. I never even bother to look at the size of the Kershaw Launch 9, I just liked the blue color. I ended up giving it to my wife to fool with. The Spyderco Bug I knew was tiny but it’s not even good as a keychain knife. At least that was only $21. :crying: View attachment 855504
I like the Launch series. I think I'm going to order the Launch 7 in earth brown (if I can find it in stock).

ETA... Went ahead and ordered the OD version instead, from BladeHQ! Excited!!

Screenshot_20201025-120902_Chrome.jpg

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,656 Posts
So they stop you for no reason, search you for no reason, steal from you. I'd move, but that's me.
Unfortunately family responsibilities are preventing that.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
I know a blacksmith that makes custom knives. He's been on Forged in Fire twice. Not sure how much he's getting for his wares these days but I know a lot of work goes into them. So I'd say $600 isn't out of line for his stuff. I won't pay that much but other people apparently will.
Did he win?

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
You're right, things like that are priceless. I never looked closely at it, but it is shiny. It was my great great (great?) grandfather's. Someday it will be mine but I would never sell an heirloom like that.
You have a sword-or your family does- from what maybe the Civil War and you don't know any of its history? Time to learn, or that knowledge could be lost forever.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Enough people pay >600$ that this maker has years long wait list
Peruse the website and see what is available, the how and why as well
(People buy a Mercedes, and some a Honda, so?)

http://www.jayfisher.com/prices_for_custom_knives.htm#Prices_for_my_custom_and_handmade_knives
I looked at the site at the link. Seems incredible to me that someone would pay $5,295 for what looks to me like an ugly, odd shaped knife. Its listed as a "tactical" knife so I guess its for some well off mall ninja who can buy it and imagine fending off a horde of evil attackers. But in truth, who can account for taste? Some people even like bagpipe "music"!

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,471 Posts
You have a sword-or your family does- from what maybe the Civil War and you don't know any of its history? Time to learn, or that knowledge could be lost forever.
It was my great great great grandfather's. He fought for South Carolina in the war. Mommy knows all about him, his unit and so forth, because she is in the UDC.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
View attachment 855428

Bill Bagwell. Custom made just for me after a long conversation with him. I got a significant discount because I was an active Marine Grunt at the time. I paid $500 back then. About $1100 in inflation adjusted dollars. Market value is many times that now because of scarcity.

If I’m standing naked and alone at the end of the Apocalypse I will have three things with me. A Dover Cap from Lock and Co. My Rolex And this knife.
No Glock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Hi
I looked at the site at the link. Seems incredible to me that someone would pay $5,295 for what looks to me like an ugly, odd shaped knife. Its listed as a "tactical" knife so I guess its for some well off mall ninja who can buy it and imagine fending off a horde of evil attackers. But in truth, who can account for taste? Some people even like bagpipe "music"!
His tactical section is quite informative and documented real time field use by PJ's, only FWIW

http://www.jayfisher.com/Tactical_Military_Combat_Police_Fighting_Knives.htm

·
Anti-Federalist
19,025 Posts
101 - 120 of 199 Posts