GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 199 Posts

·
real dogs
1,943 Posts
Really good knives usually hang a bit over $100 maybe another hundred. After that youre into the artistic value or maybe the supply and demand factor. The big buck items are what I call the "Who To's". Their value is dependent upon who to they have that value.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
These cannot be replaced.

View attachment 855384
In grade school my BFF great great grandfather (or something) was in the war and the family had his sword that had been handed down -

Back in the 1960's schools had Halloween costume day where all the kids wore a costume -

He always dress up in something so he could wear the sword - it was about as long as his leg -

Hard to imagine a kid bringing a real sword to grade school today - back then nobody even cared.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,118 Posts
I found that one in a Goodwill in NC. Rehabbed it, and it's been running ever since.
Wow! It looks perfect. You should have taken before and after pictures.

I'll have to start shopping at Goodwill.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
Why would you let them take your knife? Was it a crime to have it?
I have had Buck folders, Schrade folders, a Puma folder and a really nice Case folder my father gave me for my 50th birthday confiscated at motorcycle checkpoints, and have been told by the troopers that carrying a knife with a blade of 4 inches or longer is against the law. It isn't just me, I have seen it done to other guys, too. It isn't a question of "letting them", they are going to do it regardless, and any resistance leads to an arrest. Of course, now with NYS bail reform, I probably wouldn't have to post bail.

Reactions: G30SF/F-250

·
Anti-Federalist
17,763 Posts
I have had Buck folders, Schrade folders, a Puma folder and a really nice Case folder my father gave me for my 50th birthday confiscated at motorcycle checkpoints, and have been told by the troopers that carrying a knife with a blade of 4 inches or longer is against the law. It isn't just me, I have seen it done to other guys, too. It isn't a question of "letting them", they are going to do it regardless, and any resistance leads to an arrest. Of course, now with NYS bail reform, I probably wouldn't have to post bail.
So they stop you for no reason, search you for no reason, steal from you. I'd move, but that's me.

Reactions: Bus007

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Friend of mine just received a Chris Reeves folding knife. Really beautiful, titanium scales. Costs over $500. After playing with it for a while, I gave it back and happily went back to my Spyderco PM2 which was $150 which when I bought it felt exorbitant. Let’s face it, even a $150 knife feels decadent when used primarily for opening Amazon boxes.

Truthfully, the knife I use the most these days is the lowly Opinel at $20. Talk about bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
NRA Member
2,433 Posts
Wow $600.....I have several pocket knives and a few hunting knives....I think the most I've ever paid was like $25....They sharpen to a razor edge and hold it well enough IMO.....not sure what else I would need.

Like my fishing reels.....all are in the $100 - $150 range and cast/run as smooth as silk....I can't imagine a reel that costs 4-5 times as much would perform 4-5 times better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've always appreciated the beauty and feel of custom blades, even own a few "mid" range customs. But, I'm not cutting open a cardboard box or freeing a stuck 22 rd with a five hundred dollar knife. Got a Benchmade or Kershaw in my pocket most of the time.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,118 Posts
My latest acquisition.
Oooh I like that one!

Daddy gave me a largemouth bass knife like this one for my birthday, but I'm sure he didn't spend $600 on it (Mommy would have used it to skin him alive LOL).
It's too nice to use, I keep it in my jewelry box.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,118 Posts
This is the one I carry in my purse.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
You guys are still thinking about those great big 1980 dollars.

Man-hours on each blade? Materials used? Quality of work? Sheath? Folder or fixed? Um hm

Would you pay yourself $15/hr to do such? $20? Cheap Chinese labor w/ shipping and handling and buy three?

Do you know your steels? You got a spare anvil? A forge? How many hammers and files do you own? Muahahaha oops. sorry. Money? More tools.

I LOL but look at Kevin McClung's Mad Dog knives (to pick one) or Chris Reeves Knives over the years! If my life was on the line and had the cash in hand, would have no problem... buying another used Randall or an Old Hickory aha. No way am I messing up a Reeves fixed or folder or a fragile Mad Dog ATAK (Muahahaha! I kid)

Let the collectors collect, the users use, it's all good.

I own a knife my Dad pounded out of a file and some forge time back in the day (he said he had fun doing it) a little grinding here, some filework there. He said he was wasting time but it took him about 20 hours of playing w/ metal. Very rustic. Makes Old Hickory Blades look downright modern! Since he has passed away, it's value to me vs value you would see (or not see) in it would of course vary. It's cleaned a deer or two. Cut some meat and veggies, bread. Dad's great grandson will eventually get it and go... "uh... (roll eyes emoji here) thanks Baba?"

Haha.

I got a footlocker or two full of them cheap <$100 knives. Don't we all? How many KaBar's or Glock knives does one human need? (more than one of course. they're cheap)

Now Bayonet Collectors, on the other hand...

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
WTH am I missing
I can tell you. It is like people who buy cars.

Some people only want a car that gets from point a to point b reliably. Most people, however, want to show off.

I have two different Kershaw models. One is discontinued. It was actually discontinued, as I understand it, because of a design flaw. The second Kershaw model has the same blade length, functions the same. I didn't know of the second Kershaw model when I bought multiples of the first model. Maybe the second model was not even being produced, I don't know. The first model now sells for close to $200. I was buying the second model last year for about $22 delivered.

I have a pile of Ek knives somewhere. When the manufacturer went out of business (sold the name and design rights), I sold off some because I had no use for some and didn't like a couple of designs. The successor uses a different steel. People want "the original" and pay through the nose.

I drive a 16 year old car that functions perfectly. It is a Toyota Avalon. I live in a neighborhood wherein people only buy new and the car has to be a BMW, a Land Rover, a Jaguar or a Tesla. (My neighborhood was constructed as tract houses for aircraft workers and now has 90% McMansions). My car will still be on the road when the others (gee! Look, I can afford a BMW!!!) have gone to scrapyard. Same thing.

·
Registered
23,885 Posts
7E78D06C-FB39-4C66-AFF3-9AB96E9BF470.jpeg

Bill Bagwell. Custom made just for me after a long conversation with him. I got a significant discount because I was an active Marine Grunt at the time. I paid $500 back then. About $1100 in inflation adjusted dollars. Market value is many times that now because of scarcity.

If I’m standing naked and alone at the end of the Apocalypse I will have three things with me. A Dover Cap from Lock and Co. My Rolex And this knife.

·
A swamp dude
10,933 Posts
Randall knives and sheaths command a hefty price. I bought mine years ago for around $150 because GI-owned Randalls were used in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. For me they represent history and they're beautiful. This Randall Model 1, 'All Purpose Fighting Knife' has never been used for any purpose but to enjoy owning it. I suspect its value is close to $600 today.
A72FB8F4-EF30-4776-8575-8649F836CC3E.jpeg

81 - 100 of 199 Posts