GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
A person can collect anything... if it is valuable to them, then it is valuable to them.

Years ago I made a post in GlockTalk asking about kitchen knives as I had used a remarkably nice butcher knife at a bar-b-que (it was a Henckles I believe). That thread, and others I read, would quickly blow up with people debating the value of custom made kitchen knives that all started north of $1,000. I ended up getting a "beginner" set of Wustoff kitchen knives that are wonderful (I think they were about $150 for the set). I learned a LOT about custom kitchen knives!

Just like paying over $500 for a gun made of plastic and some metal... :eek:uttahere::couch:

·
1,981 Posts
Most I ever paid was $729 for a Wilson Combat Elishewitz. I have number 1 of 18.

Not sure I would ever do that again.

I did offer a guy at a gun show $300 for a 1955 Colt Python folder. He refused and when I got home I found a one (new in box) on eBay for less than $100.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
I had to have a couple of Randall knives. They were just under $600 each.
This, my Randall's are under 600$. Have 5-6 more on order in same price range with a 6 year wait.
Look up what a Loveless knife sells for. Ted Dowell knifes also sell high and are very desirable.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
26,190 Posts
People are so gullible. Some knife makers really know how to market their products.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,709 Posts
This one was about $575, I used it for cutting roof core samples until I found a better blade shape.

CR.JPG

Now I'm using this one, it was just a little over $200

20201009_105023.jpg

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'm sorry that you can't afford them...
as with everthing exclusive, if you have to ask, then you are not the intendwed audience. it goes for $2000 bottle of bordeaux, $10000 watch or $100k car.

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well I may need to check out the knives a little closer next time I am at a gun AND KNIFE show.

upload_2020-10-25_8-22-17.jpeg

The black one on the left I found in the yard 10 years ago - I have no idea how it got there -

I use it to open Amazon type boxes -

The Bahco knife I bought on sale for $3 - it was so sharp I didn't like using it - afraid I would cut off an arm - it has lost some of its sharpness but is still real sharp.

Yes I know you can cut yourself easier with a dull knife than a sharp knife - or that is what my grandpa use to say - his pocket knife was so sharp you could shave with it - he was a butcher for a while when he was younger and learned how to sharpen them properly -

I carried a pocket knife all the time when I was a kid - well carried one between the time I bought it until I lost it - I guess most kids had one - but don't ever recall a knife fight breaking out.

Thanks for the replies - learned a few things --

Reactions: nrajeff

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Wow. Mommy has an heirloom sword from the war that is hanging in Daddy's office. I wonder how much that is worth?

·
Anti-Federalist
17,709 Posts
Wow. Mommy has an heirloom sword from the war that is hanging in Daddy's office. I wonder how much that is worth?
Depends on who made it, what role it served and the condition it is in.

I've got several Masonic swords and a WW1 Cavalry sword that is in excellent condition but they are all family heirlooms so it really doesn't matter to me what their monetary values are.

Reactions: Hannie Caulder

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
I have maybe a half dozen of so original Schrade knives, made in Ellenville, NY. They made a great knife. I think I paid maybe $50 for the most expensive one. Of course, that was a few decades ago.

schrade knives.jpg

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
The Randall Bowie knives can sell for over a thousand dollars.

How do you explain that to people who brag about their "bargain" chromed pot metal knife they got for only ten dollars?
But if I lose that $10 knife(which I have often done), or have it taken by the police(I have had 6 confiscated by troopers at motorcycle road blocks), I won't feel nearly as suicidal as I would if I lost a $1000 knife.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Depends on who made it, what role it served and the condition it is in.
I've got several Masonic swords and a WW1 Cavalry sword that is in excellent condition but they are all family heirlooms so it really doesn't matter to me what their monetary values are.
You're right, things like that are priceless. I never looked closely at it, but it is shiny. It was my great great (great?) grandfather's. Someday it will be mine but I would never sell an heirloom like that.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Anti-Federalist
17,709 Posts
But if I lose that $10 knife(which I have often done), or have it taken by the police(I have had 6 confiscated by troopers at motorcycle road blocks), I won't feel nearly as suicidal as I would if I lost a $1000 knife.

Why would you let them take your knife? Was it a crime to have it?

·
Anti-Federalist
17,709 Posts
You're right, things like that are priceless. I never looked closely at it, but it is shiny. It was my great great (great?) grandfather's. Someday it will be mine but I would never sell an heirloom like that.

These cannot be replaced.

Swordandclock.jpg

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
61 - 80 of 199 Posts